✮✩Bōsōzoku Bike Build Off✩✮

OK! So There's not enough Bosozoku love in the moped community. ( If you are unfamilliar with Bosozoku culture see below ) I'm attempting to change that! This is something I've been wanting to do forever, and it got brought up again a few months ago when I was in Japan with Ben (Baltards) and we decided to have a Build off for fun. So I'm posting here to see if anyone wants to join in. A lot of us are stuck home with tons of time to wrench so what better time to take that shitty bike in the corner and build it into some insane stupid bright sparkly ridiculous machine to piss off your neighbors. If there is enough interest and people actually start building bikes I'll figure out a way to do a vote and I'll send a prize to the winner (Don't get too excited I ain't no rich guy , but I have a lot of cool stuff I grabbed in Japan, and I make Boso stickers as a side project, so I'll put together something you'll like if youre into the subculture) I've already started building my bike, so instead of being part of this I'll be posting update photos for inspiration. This is all just for fun and I hope I can get some people to build some wildly stupid mopeds.

I'm thinking Deadline could be September 1st ?

-----

What is Bōsōzoku ? If you don't know. you should, its rad. It's a Japanese subculture revolving around building insane over the top bikes (and cars) and riding them around just to annoy people. It started in post war Japan and blew up in the 80's which saw a huge rise in Bosozoku gangs that would modify their bikes with loud exhausts, extended fairings and pipes, super tall seats and crazy paint jobs. they would even modify their clutches to slip more and rev out, and each gang would have a "call" where they would blip the throttle to make different songs to show what gang you were in. Then they would ride around town causing havoc, being loud and annoying, getting the police to chase them around for fun. See it's just like mopeds! There are a lot more details to it, but I won't get into that. Basically this was Japans version of rebelling against the system, and it was (and still is) hilarious and awesome. I'll follow this up with some example photos too. so who's down??

bfb1f49f18aed30416ca838df3186662.jpg
boso-bikes.jpg
db288d0c0346e995287249b203a28e1c0ba045cfr1-480-480v2-hq-3950-default-large.jpeg

Re: ✮✩Bōsōzoku Bike Build Off✩✮

there's been a few, most notably Eric Barons' hobbit

and diamond jon redred's DT50

Damnit Chris, I just started painting my frame yesterday. Now I got to go get the most obnoxious pink spray paint I can find.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Domo origoto

I would so love it there...

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

Ugh I don't have a frame for this ..... Yet

Repair Forum:

Username: BosoBlasterKid

Hey guys,

I’m running a 79.9cc Kit with 30mm race carb and 8 foot long pipe. I can’t figure out why my moped is hard to start and four strokes all the time. PLZ HALP!

Just kidding. I like art cars. This looks like fun.

THIS IS AWESOME

I wanna see sum crazy shit

daan SJAARLOOS /

Best excuse for a ridiculous pipe ever. If only I had the time

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Get me an internship in the agriculture sector.

I wish I had the Time, $$ and a bike to throw it at! Love a boso bike.

carl jepsen /

I think I ran across quite a few of those when shopping for older mopeds. I ran across one guy who told me on the phone his moped was freshly painted and in mint condition. When I showed up it obviously had been painted with house paint and a paint brush. Had another guy who replaced all the missing chrome trim with cardboard strips wrapped in aluminum foil.

carl jepsen /

These are patch jobs to keep something functional for a short time until it can be properly fixed. Invariably the cheapskate/moron keeps using it until it fails. I know a guy who is a half assed mechanic. He has posted alot of videos on YouTube of his mechanic work and now has a following of idiots who think he is a God! He also started a patreon account where you join and pay money for this guy to personally tell you how to fix your moped? Between the youtube and Patreon deal he is getting paid for cobbling stuff up? Its laughable at how crude some of the work is?

carl jepsen /

I know, I've been told on multiple occasions that I can't possibly know what I'm doing because I'm not on this website, or have that website, or Y channel.... never mind that I've been playing with metallic things for a living since the mid 1970's, and the guys who taught me learned the trade on Model T's. Then you get the idiots who think some bad practice is OK because this famous youtuber does it.... no. It's not OK.

Dirty30 Dillon /

Obviously you have no clue with Bosozoku is about if you're comparing it to shade-tree solutions from the American boondoggles.

Tweaker trash /

AlL those guys in that gang where signed up to be kamikaze....

they would go around Japan and taunt the police officer for an energy rush. (edited)

CD33A210-3861-4657-B801-4CBC4B023E1F.jpeg

Josh Besecker /

For inspiration.

This is a stock 1973 fantic 50 chopper.

Not bad for stock!

Screenshot_20200605-183626_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200605-183609_Chrome.jpg

Ok. I’m in. Is winner the most extreme?

Terbo Speghetti /

> carl jepsen Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I know, I've been told on multiple occasions that I can't possibly know

> what I'm doing because I'm not on this website, or have that website, or

> Y channel.... never mind that I've been playing with metallic things for

> a living since the mid 1970's, and the guys who taught me learned the

> trade on Model T's. Then you get the idiots who think some bad practice

> is OK because this famous youtuber does it.... no. It's not OK.

Lay off the drink, my friend. Then go get a clue

so i worked with a really cool guy a few jobs ago who grew up in tokyo in the 80's... basically japan passed crazy strict laws about modifying vehicles, basically if they caught your car with anything not-stock they would take it and crush it.

the yakuza were so powerful that the like super hardass gangsters would build these cars to flaunt the fact that they owned the cops in the neighborhood and the cops wouldn't fuck with them.

so when you see a bright pink car with 8 giant chrome exhausts, the guy who built that was telling people 'dont' fuck with me because i own the cops'

i've never seen any other english language site explain that angle of the whole thing but it makes it infinitely more badass and interesting.

i've got a double maxi boszu i've been working on for a few years but its pretty low on my list of projects, i've got a stock dual exhaust port cylinder and a host of zany one of a kind parts i've been stashing for years.

Ha! Thanks Will.

1521862A-F4B6-4320-9CE6-D05C2307532B.jpeg

I always hated the seat length on mine. I spend the last couple weeks chopping the rear section and extending it. Pluss a made a more squishy bread loaf seat. I love this thing I think I had it for 3 years? Idk 😐 always loved this style of flamboyant bikes is I used a bunch of random parts I had to make it. I would love a bigger faring....I just used what I had.

Graham that is good info. In lots of stuff I read about the culture I never knew that. 👌🏻

ooh those lil flip down pegs, nice touch

yusssss, so happy to see people are kinda into this.

Graham, Thats awesome. Yeah He's totally right. the whole thing is a big Fuck You to police. and thats exactly how it grew in the 80s when Yakuza were actually running things. They still fuck with the police because its part of the culture. there are tons of great videos out there of bikes circling intersections taunting police while they drive around looking dumb not being able to do anything about it. anyway Build that double port maxi!!!!!

Also Erich, how did I miss this!!! that bike is awesome! mad respect! I tried building a boso bike like 7 or 8 years ago and it ended up looking not boso at all so this is why I have been talking about doing this again for so long. It did have a takeyari pipe that was taller then my roof lol.

5af68b03d62d911053bbfdeb85c3fa1e (1).jpg

Hahahaha

Does that pipe break down and fold like a camping tent pole!?

Super wierd...., but mopeds are wierd, not into it at all, but will watch to see what people come up with. This should be interesting.

> Graham Motzing Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> so i worked with a really cool guy a few jobs ago who grew up in tokyo

> in the 80's... basically japan passed crazy strict laws about modifying

> vehicles, basically if they caught your car with anything not-stock they

> would take it and crush it.

>

> the yakuza were so powerful that the like super hardass gangsters would

> build these cars to flaunt the fact that they owned the cops in the

> neighborhood and the cops wouldn't fuck with them.

>

> so when you see a bright pink car with 8 giant chrome exhausts, the guy

> who built that was telling people 'dont' fuck with me because i own the

> cops'

>

> i've never seen any other english language site explain that angle of

> the whole thing but it makes it infinitely more badass and interesting.

Ya that’s wild, puts a whole different perspective on it

Hey guyz. Thanks! I love my BUB(big Ugly Bike).

Christoper how did that sound! Hahah had to be wild. I wanted to do something with the exhaust but I’ve been too lazy.

i've got some ideas...

Dumb fad...but, lets see what gets built?

IMO a dumb fad is 'cafe racer' because that just involves stripping off perfectly good parts to make a shitty little bike. boso is actually kinda difficult to do, which i think is the barrier to entry. hopefully good stuff comin up!

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account