Trying to determine value of my 1977 jcpenney pinto moped

i am getting ready to put my 77 pinto up for sale and was wondering what should i ask for it , it has brand new tires , tubes , seat , cables , engine has had a full rebuild , crank ,top end , seals , bearings ect , new carb , it is the feeler orange pinto , chrome is pretty nice , fires right up , bill of sale , what can i ask for this thing ?

i have sunk a ton of money in it and hopefully i can make a little on it

any info is appreciated (edited)

Re: Trying to determine value of my 1977 jcpenney pinto moped

Sorry probably wont make much off what you have put into it. I would consider what you bought it for and maybe add $200 for the added items.... but most areas wont go for mopeds over $600, but in my area it could go for close to $800. It is going to depend o where your market is and how saturated it is on mopeds already.

I really hope you make a boat load , but , be happy that you learned a thing and had fun doing it . ;)

i was afraid you were going to say that , i have more in it than that ,

It is very hard to make money on fixing and selling mopeds. The top dollar for a moped in a midsize Midwestern city is $1k or so. The more rural you are the lower that cap goes.

Thanks for the info , this has definitely been a learning experience , i know for sure that i am going to lose a ton of money on this project , perhaps i can trade up for something better ,

Education usually is not cheap / inexpensive .

It's a strange hobby. You might get an old moped for $250, and replace everything to make it safe and functional, rebuild the engine to deal with 40 year old seals, bearings, and gaskets, then spend a few hundred kitting the thing. So now you have a turnkey bike that you have spent around $900 on.

But when you come on THIS SITE for advice regarding selling it, the bike is only worth half or 75% of what you have into it, because they know all of the work involved and put no value on the new parts you installed or your time. Especially your time.

Then they PM you and lowball.

Oh, you have something special, it's just that nobody wants to pay you for it.

Put it up on an online auction with a reserve price that makes you happy or ride it a few years to justify the price's depreciation, but don't come here looking for an idea of what a bike is worth. We are cheap bastards.

Since you built it - it has more value to you.

If you can keep it then I would keep it.

If you need the money or can not keep it any longer then that is another story.

I’ve sold a moped they I built then regretted it years later. I’ve also bought mopeds from guys that called me months later begging for it back and offering to pay more than what they sold it to me for.

Terbo Speghetti /

> Trent Anderson Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> It's a strange hobby. You might get an old moped for $250, and replace

> everything to make it safe and functional, rebuild the engine to deal

> with 40 year old seals, bearings, and gaskets, then spend a few hundred

> kitting the thing. So now you have a turnkey bike that you have spent

> around $900 on.

>

> But when you come on THIS SITE for advice regarding selling it, the

> bike is only worth half or 75% of what you have into it, because they

> know all of the work involved and put no value on the new parts you

> installed or your time. Especially your time.

>

> Then they PM you and lowball.

>

> Oh, you have something special, it's just that nobody wants to pay you

> for it.

>

> Put it up on an online auction with a reserve price that makes you happy

> or ride it a few years to justify the price's depreciation, but don't

> come here looking for an idea of what a bike is worth. We are cheap

> bastards.

Lololol. Butthurt much?

Sounds like you don't know how values of vehicles work. Mopeds aren't nearly as bad as cars and motorcycles for depreciation. Get a clue

^^Correct my math, please.

POS bike from internet $200

Tires, tubes,rim strips $70

Petcock $17

Cables $40

Rebuild bottom end. Seals, bearings, gaskets, condenser, clutch springs, shop materials $120

Polini kit $570

De-rust tank $50

Total $1067

Best Moped Army member offer $600 - $800 (edited)

Post a picture of it. I have family down in your neck of the woods.

i will post a pic as soon as the last of the parts come in , fedex has been running really slow , should be in my monday

Polini kits cost $570 now??

i have all of the information that i need , there will be no further posts to this forum ,

For V1 with intake, carb, and pipe, before sale price, yes, 570

@ anonymous person

You have to have a thick skin on this site. a lot of people will just mess with around with you.

> Trent Anderson Wrote:

> For V1 with intake, carb, and pipe, before sale price, yes, 570

Oh you’re calling the entire treats upgrade package: cylinder kit, custom cut head, MLM exhaust pipe, MLM intake, and Mikuni carburetor “Polini.” Yeah if you replace essentially every part of the motor aside from the bottom end it can get costly. That’s not exactly the same thing as restoring a stock bike tho.

It is worth everything

The problem is the barrier to entry on repairing mopeds is low, and the supply of mopeds is high compared to the demand. Anyone with like 3 tools (ratchet, spark plug wrench, and a screwdriver) can bolt on go fast parts. Rebuilding a motor is worth something more since your average Joe won't be willing to try it. But if there are 10 V1 bikes on Craigslist ranging from $100-400 and one that's fully rebuilt and has new tires/kit/pipe/everything else listed for $1200, then I'm gonna take my $1200 and buy one or two of those V1 bikes and spend the rest on an 80's XT250 or a couple Honda CB125's or something. Once you break $1k you're entering small Japanese motorcycle territory and they are superior in quality, reliability, and speed.

If you can find some dude who had the exact bike you have when he was a kid and hasn't looked at mopeds since, maybe you can get over a grand for it.

> If you can find some dude who had the exact bike you have when he was a

> kid and hasn't looked at mopeds since, maybe you can get over a grand

> for it.

I did that exact same thing with my second Motron and paid $700 for it. The guy even delivered it 60 miles. It DID run, sound, look, and feel fantastic with 1300 miles on it.

Of course, that started me down the dark path of getting back into mopeds. I now have 21 mopeds plus 2 Honda Cubs, and 10 Motrons of all colors ranging in purchase price from $100 to $700...

You guys realize that the OP has deleted his account on this site .

Got a little butt hurt and went away mad .

https://mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?6,4383505,4383826,flat=1#msg-4383826

What’s great about MA is the same thing that also makes some guys bail—You will deal with some sarcasm, but you will get the truth. Tough for that guy to have to face facts, but it has to happen. Guys who can make money in this are few—most of us, I think, do it for the crazy mix of suffering, patience, and occasional joy that comes from raising these crazy things from the dead.

> Steven Davis Wrote:

> most of us, I think, do it for the crazy mix

> of suffering, patience, and occasional joy that comes from raising these

> crazy things from the dead.

^ Definition of a good pastime . ;)

^ So what, mopeds clearly were not for him, or rather his wife, I just got a great deal on an F-250 because the guys wife said and I quote "that thing does not fit into our neighborhood/lifestyle" and he did not tell her where to go, he sold his truck! WTF, she must be a nympho supermodel....yeah right. There is very little money in mopeds, UNLESS you find a stock survivor that was drained of fuel and kept indoors since the late 70's-80's, one that some kid "mechanic" did not try to make faster etc, one that has all parts and accessories, and they still have the title..etc etc et al. If you come upon one of these and all it needs is a cleaning and fresh fuel, you can turn a profit. Otherwise, buy 'em fix 'em and just ride and enjoy them. That is all.

^^Given the number of threads on this site where the owner can't get the bike running properly after adding something to or rebuilding the motor, one could get the impression that the majority of people on this site are "Kid Mechanics"

> Trent Anderson Wrote:

> ^^Given the number of threads on this site where the owner can't get the

> bike running properly after adding something to or rebuilding the motor,

> one could get the impression that the majority of people on this site

> are "Kid Mechanics"

Or maybe we all run into a problem once in a while. And honestly we are playing with mopeds not sending astronauts to space or winning the next moto go. This is all kids stuff on here. I hope we are all "kid mechanics" with that lack of fear and the anything can be done mentality.

Trent Anderson Wrote:

But when you come on THIS SITE for advice regarding selling it, the bike is only worth half or 75% of what you have into it, because they know all of the work involved and put no value on the new parts you installed or your time. Especially your time.

Then they PM you and lowball.

.... so true ...

no groms no blasters /

it's almost like markets don't give a fuck what a seller thinks their commodity is worth

Without demand , supply is useless .

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account