Maximizing low-end power/pop Urban Express NU50

Joshua Scotten /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

I got these two bikes out of a barn. Both are 82' Urban Expresses. Both appear to have been parted out to varying degrees. They look better here than they really were. I'm completely green so have had to learn how to build them on my own. I've got one running as of now. It's mostly stock but with a SHA 15 carb and intake. I'm premixing. Hitting about 28 mph with flipped stock belt. Other than that it's all stock. I've replaced seals and think I've identified and fixed all leaks.

I've seen a lot of recommendations for performance mods but I'm not seeing a lot for what I'm looking to do. I'm a big guy at 250lbs and not looking to hit 45mph on this thing, I'd be happy at 35-40 as long as I got there fast. I live in a hilly town and want to get great speed off the line with strong power uphill.

I've experimented with pulling half the weight out. It obviously gave me more off the line but I didn't like the power loss on hills and just in general didn't like the feel of how it ran after. I flipped the belt and put a washer behind the variator plate which gave me a few mph without losing the low end I crave.

I'm looking at exhausts and new top end kits but again, most of the recommendations for exhaust are with top speed as the goal. That's not what I want. So I'm looking for recommendations for combo of kit and exhaust and likely clutch springs to achieve the pop and take off I'm looking for. (edited)

IMG_3902.jpeg
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account