Retitling Moped in MN, lost WI 2012 Title

Hello everyone, so after a 2 hour wait at the DMV I was told that I need a whole lot of stuff to get my moped titled in MN. I bought the bike in Wisconsin, and it was last titled in 2012, but the title has since been lost and all records are cleared after 7 years so I need to apply for a new title. I have proof of insurance, a bill of sale, and pictures of the bike + the VIN. However the lady at the DMV said I need to get it backed / inspected by an insurance company and take a bond out on the vehicle, then send all my info into the DMV with photos and it'll take like 4 months. I only bought this bike to get to work over the summer for my internship and this obvioiusly won't work for me. Does anyone have experience with titles in MN and how I can get this son of a bitch street legal? I work directly above the DMV office in the city, otherwise I'd just say fuck it and risk the ticket. Any advice is helpful, thanks!

dmv.jpg

Re: Retitling Moped in MN, lost WI 2012 Title

Look up the Vermont method here. You'll get a plate and reg in a month or so.

Sounds good. One snag, my drivers license expires on the 29th, do you think that would be a problem?

Thanks,

CM

You don't need a bonded title for a moped in MN, just a statement of facts form, and the pics of the bike. What DMV are you at? Try the one off hwy 7 and Christmas lake road in greenwood, you get a plate the same day, title will come in the mail in a month or 2. You may need to fudge a bit, say the bike was abandoned on your property, don't indicate there was ever a plate on it at all. I just did this before the Covid shit with a bike and have done it numerous times in the past.

up shits creek /

fellow MN mopeder here. you just need to fill out paperwork for a bonded title. I think they want pic of the vin and 4 pics, one of each side.

this one

https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/dvs/forms-documents/Documents/MV_StatementofFacts.pdf

then they submit it to the state. i got a plate right away and the title came a couple weeks later (edited)

^ That's the form, but it is not a bonded title, you really only need that for cars or motorcycles that are worth money, it is to protect the state if someone comes looking for the bike and they have issued you a title. For mopeds you just fill that form out, don't tell them you already owned it, have a friend fill out the seller part, stating it was left on his property or some such, make no mention of any plate at all, they don't check, have your pics and your money and you leave with a plate. Easy Peasy, go to the dmv I mentioned, they are familiar with this process and there are very rarely lines. Just make sure they issue a moped plate, I almost left with a MC plate once, they corrected it on the spot.

I've applied for new titles on all my bikes in MN and have never been asked to do the bonded title thing. Follow Stephen Keller's advice that's definitely the way to go.

Another good spot is the AAA in St Louis Park. If you have all the right paperwork from above, they have no questions.

^ I got the run around at AAA, about of all things, the engine #, don't need it on mopeds, do on motorcycles, lady did not believe me, I have never been back. Not sure if they are even open yet? The one on Christmas lake and HWY 7 is the best Dmv EVER! :) good luck, pm me if you have ?'s op.

up shits creek /

> Mitch Mills Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I've applied for new titles on all my bikes in MN and have never been

> asked to do the bonded title thing. Follow Stephen Keller's advice

> that's definitely the way to go.

>

> Another good spot is the AAA in St Louis Park. If you have all the right

> paperwork from above, they have no questions.

was your moped previously registered in the state? In my case it had never been in the system and because I couldn't provide a title the only way to get it registered was bonded - pretty sure my title has the word bonded water marked. gonna def check on this tonight.

If it's been more than 7 yrs it doesn't matter what your old title says. Just act like you never had one, make no mention of a plate if you have one, don't have it in your pictures.

Tweaker trash /

I can’t go to the dmv because covid! You think the dmv would go to online registration!

I decided to donate toys this Christmas, hopefully that keeps the townspeople happy

Adrian Murphy /

The person you dealt with was wrong. Steven Keller described it best. I have registered 5 vehicles now in MN with a statement of facts. All of them 50cc. The bonding process is used for cars and big bikes. Keep in mind most dmv stations are actually run by the counties and not the dmv. I’ve found they are pretty irritated with dmv due to all the computer problems making their job harder too. In chatting them up they said if you do a car or nice bike it’s a nightmare but they realize every other farm, cabin, or rev has a lost title moped. They just try to make sure they have all the stuff needed and document it and submit it to the state. I walk in with statement of facts form filled out and 4 pictures. I take digital pics and print them in color 2 to a page at the library because I am cheap. One pic of each side showing the entire bike. Then one pic showing the vin/dot sticker. The last one of the engine number. I know they changed something about the moped engine requirement but I include it to make it smooth. They punch it all in take my money and I walk out with a plate.

Now a couple side bits. I still include my engine number for my protection. The person you are dealing with cares about paperwork. That’s their job. All they do is look for a record in the system and it’s purged after 7 years. If it is stolen or has a stolen engine the state will find that when they get the paper and pics you submit. They will cancel the plate in the computer and they will come knocking. I want my engine number in their records. Some jerk stole my qt50 from my driveway that I had just tossed my towny engine in to check it out. A year later they called me and said they caught some woman riding it 150 miles away with no plate. They ran both numbers. If they come knocking right after you register it great you can go back to the source. Might not be as easy a few years later when you get stopped and they run the engine and say it’s stolen. Theft records aren’t purged like the titles are.

My local office even was cool enough to submit the paper on my 69 z50 as a cycle. I pointed out in 69 they had no moped class and it was plateable as a cycle then so I wanted to do that so I could get it plated collector and not pay every year for tabs. She said cool makes sense let’s submit and see what can they do besides say no and change category. I got a collector plate in the mail! Bottom line I just try to patient and joke with them and say oh no I’ve done this a bunch sorry it’s a weird one and they are cool. Just try again and go to a smaller office where they have less burn out.

Good luck.

Engine # is NOT required to title a moped in MN, that is only for motorcycles, I can see how you got a call from your stolen bike though. Had you not included the # on the title I wonder if they would have gone after the last registered owner of the Towny? As long as the frame/plate are in your name that is all that matters on a "moped" class vehicle, this applies to scooters that fall into the moped class, made before 2006 I thik? Ruckus/Vino, they went to MC as even though 50cc they can go almost 40, so yeah. Thanks for having my back mafi! I got schooled in how to title a moped in MN from a lovely friend of mine some yrs back, she had to repeat herself a few times as I was distracted, but it finally stuck! ;) The less info you provide, the easier the process is. I even got out of giving the pics the last bike I did, Express, right before Covid, as the lady remembered me from my last several trips there and had an Express when she was a kid, I had pics on phone, but she pushed me through...got my plate that day, title in a month. be nice, go to small locations, all will go well. :)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account