USB Endoscopes, great for inspecting gas tanks etc

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

I've said it a few times before in other threads, but ill say it again here. USB endoscopes are awesome for inspecting inside gas tanks, cylinders, pipes, your colon, etc.

One thing I cannot stand is crud and sediment in my gas tanks. People say to just use inline filters, but i have never found a filter that kept fine sediment out of my carb. It always settles into the bowl, and eventually gets sucked up by your jets and can cause scoring, or just clog things. I sold a spree to a guy, and it was brought back to me twice having died on him. For some reason the bike was SUPER sensitive to any junk in the fuel, even a tiny amount of super fine sediment would make it stall out, filter be damned. Got myself a new endoscope with USB C so I could check the tank out and found that although it looked pristine after multiple cleanings, it still had tiny amounts of stuff in it. The spree tank has some crazy baffling in the roof of the tank that kept creeping out with vibrations. Finally got it clean, hasn't had a problem since.

20200301_105443.jpg

You never know what's lurking in there. Even if your gas is coming out clean ish, many petcock bungs are not at the lowest point of the tank, so the tank becomes a sediment trap that slowly lets stuff out over time.

The camera is really helpful in that it lets you know what you're up against, and how far you need to go.

Heres a pic I just took of the inside of my Cimatti 86 tube frame tank. There was a couple spoonfuls of rusty jank that would turn my gas a dark brown. The bung made a lip inside about 1/4 in tall, and the last of the stuff wouldn't come out. I attached a length of 1/2in fuel line to my shop vac, put some water in the tank, and vacuumed out all that shit. Confirmed with the camera that all was good afterwards.

IPC_2020-06-15.19.04.40.3469.jpg

Possibly the dirtiest tank of all belonged to my euro sped ciao mix. Pic was taken after hours and hours of rinsing with a hose, pressure washer, hot water, degreaser etc. Repeated my vacuum trick, worked great. I taped the hose to a coat hanger, and the camera too. To help guide it through the bracing/baffling.

200324_201002.jpg

They're like $20 and a sweet tool to have. Usually have embedded lights, and attachments like hooks and magnets for retrieving stuff. Thanks for coming to my TED talk. (edited)

Re: USB Endoscopes, great for inspecting gas tanks etc

Wesley Ambrosini /

You have a brand name you like/use?

todd amundson /

Lucky! All Those Tanks are clean as fuck

> todd amundson Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Lucky! All Those Tanks are clean as fuck

They were evaporusted, but the sediment and dislodged rust remained inside

good idea! butt camera in the list

> moped mo Wrote:

> good idea! butt camera on the list

Beat me to it!

Ive seen them but have yet to order one.

> moped mo Wrote:

> good idea! butt camera in the list

Umm , that's OK for you maybe . I really don't care to get any closer look at any butt , except ... ;)

Anybody with a brand reco/link?

That works with iPhone

This is the one I got. They're all the same for the most part, the important thing is finding a good app/software on the app store to run it. This one works well on adroid. For Apple its just a matter of buying the right endoscope to work with lightning cables and also finding software.

Screenshot_20200617-221424_AmazonShopping.jpg
Screenshot_20200617-221614_GooglePlayStore.jpg

I got one too. Works on WiFi. It is no too bad

Pushrod Fifty /

I need one. It would take the guesswork out of knowing if my tanks are clean.

Ah Detective Brandon!, cool idea. I was waiting for someone to post this. Did you use it after cleaning the tank? Just wondering, if the gas messes up the cable or camera . I would dedicate it just for mechanical use. Thanks. I look into it. No pun intended! ;)

> Les B. Wrote:

> Ah Detective Brandon!, cool idea. I was waiting for someone to post

> this. Did you use it after cleaning the tank? Just wondering, if the gas

> messes up the cable or camera . I would dedicate it just for mechanical

> use. Thanks. I look into it. No pun intended! ;)

I drain the tank before sticking the camera inside, so I'm not really getting it wet. Even if you do get a little gas on it im sure it would be fine

Overpriced Parts /

I use a ridgid brand One

6425DE4E-1684-4177-A1E0-E1B941AC5F58.jpeg
A538890A-8F49-4C35-92FD-B1A9406DBF86.jpeg

huh yea, I have one I used to scope out for wires under my home floorboards before cutting one out to replace it. I later used it to fish out a cam chain that'd dropped off the sprocket on my dumb maxim. Never thought to shove it in a tank tho

Yeah I bought one and was never able to get it working, I tried about 5 different apps but I don't know if I tried that app. Yeah they are super useful, I just got bummed that the one I bought was a bust and never went back to figure it out

DUUUUDE! YOU'RE MY HERO that app totally worked, holy shit. I'm so stoked. Totally gonna find out what happened to old lemmiwinks #3 tonight.

$22 to see into your tank? So worth it

I've wanted one of these for my whole life. Maybe now it's time

> P D Wrote:

> > moped mo Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > good idea! butt camera in the list

>

> Umm , that's OK for you maybe . I really don't care to get any closer

> look at any butt , except ...

JLOs'

whoa yea, i have an old one that the app was discontinued and I just bought a new one, but I just tried the old one with that and it works. so now i have 2 i guess!

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

> whoa yea, i have an old one that the app was discontinued and I just

> bought a new one, but I just tried the old one with that and it works.

> so now i have 2 i guess!

You're gonna need more butts

up shits creek /

done and done.

Adrian Murphy /

I agree you can’t go wrong. I even used mine to figure out why my RAV4 sunroof was leaking. Turns out I had a maple helicopter that would plug the drain hole when it rained hard and would overflow and leak inside. I was able to run the camera all the way up the drain hose and could see the thing float over and plug it when I poured water from above. It looked like a colonoscopy video too. But it was neat too see the water flow then stop when the damn thing moved. A bitch to get that seed out though

TRES RAYOS. ADAM S. /

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DGPXH3S/

I use this one. Works good and keeps my phone away from all the dirty dirty.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account