Water found in desert

Picked this up today, 200 bucks and looks to be very complete other than the bicycle seat. Thought it was factory brown but I believe it was once silver. "Ran when parked" we'll see what it takes to get it going again. Score i think for never seeing anything affordable in texas or anything that's worth fixing.

20200621_174652.jpg

Re: Water found in desert

nice!

As a self proclaimed Motron expert, I have only seen that tank rack on the green metal flake Medalist. They did come in silver/gray, but I have yet to find a brown. My 3 green Medalists all came with spokes, not mags, as well. Maybe if you remove the plastic cover in the "step through" area, the true color might reveal itself.

Who knows. I've seen 3 different types of seats, cheap rubber, leather(ish) short, leather(ish) long, mags, no mags.

Either way, $200 for a complete non-runner is pretty good in my book. Of the 10 I have, 5 were at or under that price, and I, a motor moron, was able to get 1 running all by myself by tapping loose the piston and hooking the carb up to a temp tank after cleaning it.

Update: I've only seen the chrome plated bars by the foot rests on the green bikes as well. Black models had black bars, while most others had none.

And, I'm obligated to say, "Yay! Another Motron rescued!" (edited)

The tank looks mint inside, I'll start tinkering on it tomorrow and find out what actual color it was. All the brown is surface rust like it was baked in a very dry climate. Would like to find a stock seat for it as well.

Couldn't wait, confirmed silver.

20200621_194215.jpg

Interesting on the color. Does the gas tank sticker say "Medalist" or "Classic"?

Classic

Motrons are the best! $60 rebuild kit on treats and be sure to cut your own case gasket. Have fun mane!

> tom wizard Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Motrons are the best! $60 rebuild kit on treats and be sure to cut your

> own case gasket. Have fun mane!

Yeah probably pull the engine for a rebuild, order some tires and tubes, rebuild the carb. Also have a jamarcol puch pipe laying around. Loved the sound of it on the stock e50 so might try to adapt it to fit this bike.

Nice find, I know where there is a silver one just like that in the garage of an old dude, stored dry in beautiful shape, titled even, I just don't need any more bikes, I have no room! :( Ran when parked, but he knew enough to drain the tank, it is spotless inside, and run the carb dry. Engine is free, and I think I could get it for around what you paid, I love the patina on that one. Also really love the P-71 in the background! :)

Fog the engine, turn it over by hand a few times, throw in some fresh mix, I bet it fires and runs, I would ride it just as it is.

Sweet patina! Find a proper seat and call that one done!

I picked one up last year and really like the Motron design.

75EFE899-B2E4-45AE-9351-3007CB78665D.jpeg

The Leo Vince pipe for v1's sounds pretty dope.

> The Dude Wrote:

> > tom wizard Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Motrons are the best! $60 rebuild kit on treats and be sure to cut

> your

>

> > own case gasket. Have fun mane!

>

> Yeah probably pull the engine for a rebuild, order some tires and tubes,

> rebuild the carb. Also have a jamarcol puch pipe laying around. Loved

> the sound of it on the stock e50 so might try to adapt it to fit this

> bike.

I have a crusty motron that the jammy pipe worked awsome on when it was stock. Great little 50cc pipe.

> Yung Spil Wrote:

> Sweet patina! Find a proper seat and call that one done!

>

> I picked one up last year and really like the Motron design.

> >

Nice looking anvil you got there. Peter Wright or a Hay Budden?

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> Nice find, I know where there is a silver one just like that in the

> garage of an old dude, stored dry in beautiful shape, titled even, I

> just don't need any more bikes, I have no room! :( Ran when parked, but

> he knew enough to drain the tank, it is spotless inside, and run the

> carb dry. Engine is free, and I think I could get it for around what you

> paid, I love the patina on that one. Also really love the P-71 in the

> background! :)

Yeah this is my second p71, had another that was destroyed by golfball sized hail. This one was my buddies who had someone hit and run and he didnt have the money to fix it. Bought it from him and fixed the front end and sold my other one and actually made a profit and ended up with a year newer car and half the mileage of my previous one.

Best part is the trunk on these cars, massive. This motron is the 3rd ped to be hauled in it.

Engine is apart, decided it would be best after finding the crankcase full of oil (leaky crank seal) and rings were stuck. Unfortunately the top one was really stuck and broke trying to get it out of the top piston groove.

20200623_203659.jpg
20200623_204738.jpg

Cases cleaned, waiting for parts.

20200626_092810.jpg

Engine back together and in the frame, fired right up with maybe 3 kicks. Sounds healthy, still need to cut a chain for it, check fluids, and see if the tires will hold air for a short test ride. 🤘 haters gonna hate.

After that it needs a major wash from sitting around for the past 20 years, #barnfind.

20200630_195724.jpg
20200630_195731.jpg

Looks good!

Best patina I’ve seen in a while, and over original paint is even better.

> Steven Davis Wrote:

> Best patina I’ve seen in a while, and over original paint is even

> better.

There's paint ? LOL

I'm not sure about washing it .

Maybe just take it for a quick spin to dust it off . ;)

Thanks, hoping to take it for a test ride after work today.

Maybe I'll clear coat the patina later on.

> The Dude Wrote:

> Thanks, hoping to take it for a test ride after work today.

>

> Maybe I'll clear coat the patina later on.

Prolly best to use a matte finish as you don't want police lights reflecting off high gloss and giving your hide out away . ;)

First ride, went ok for a while but then the petcock started gushing and cut the ride short.

I forgot how slow an unmodified moped is, painfully slow.

Carb still needs another cleaning, runs better with a little choke so jet or tube has got to be slighty plugged somewhere.

Cheers yall and hope your having a good afternoon.

20200701_191211.jpg
20200701_192001.jpg

First decent test ride today. Took the petcock apart and put an oring in place of the non existant rubber grommet inside and that fixed the leak until I buy a new one. Found a slighty bigger jet and a different inlet piece for the carb. Running good now.

Need to get a set of tires ordered before I ride it real far, the old ones hold air but are super dried out and lumpy.

20200705_155549.jpg

Some of us have repaired these by cutting a new one from a piece of Viton.

Speaking Italian, now that the bike runs pretty good I'm gonna slap that jammy e50 pipe on and see what kind of improvement can be made.

20200704_102740.jpg

Does anyone know if motron had a different top triple plate for bolt on handle bars rather than this stem style?

Or maybe another top plate that'll work?

Wanting something less "dork-mobile"

Attitude adjustment, found a bmx stem that would fit in my parts stash along with some bars. Much nicer looking.

20200801_141332.jpg
« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account