"New" Tomos moped I got for $200

So I got a 2001 Tomos Targa LX top tank moped today for 200 bucks. Not a scratch on it. Only has 158 miles on it, bone stock. Anyways my question is this: its an A35 motor and I want to put fresh gearbox fluid in it. Should I run ATF or synthetic motor oil in the gearbox?

Re: "New" Tomos moped I got for $200

Pics

C85C058A-6544-412C-8F77-DC3B5745C3C7.jpeg
FD86349F-3AA2-461A-BD72-BD9F338038EA.jpeg
F4CEC14C-6BEB-437D-90BA-040A454B9BBE.jpeg

Non detergent atf. That thing is MINT!

thats a beauty. so much life left in it.....30w

What a score... congrats!

There are numerous posts suggesting various automatic transmission fluids in tomos to speed mopeds type f is usually specified as the base but if you want the engine to have a higher shift point so you can rev the engine up way higher and get and get it to really pop into second gear at a pretty high speed then you start adding viscosity agents such as gear oil and if you read crazy wayne's Even powdered sulfur which I actually have in my a55 You might want to take off the clutch cover and take out and look at the clutches and see if the linings are intact but I don't know just drain the fluid without stripping the bolt at the bottom and you can try with type f or you can mix some Lucas gear oil into it all sorts of things just do the search function on moped army and you'll find endless suggestions

I would prefer to use 0w20 synthetic motor oil in the gearbox just because its better for the gears and bearings

craigslist, letgo, friend, offer up??

Craigslist

Was that the one that was posted with like a $1400 asking price? Saw one just like that recently on Cleveland CL

Clearly it was not. The ad I responded to had an asking price of $200 and the ad had been up like only 10 minutes when I responded to it

Oh nice. Solid grab. Was just hoping That I didn’t miss out on a bike cause there was a typo in the price something haha

Wow, al plastics and everything....we seem to have very few Tomos in MN, that was a hell of a deal, congrats!

damn, 200 is close enough to free.

roy jongejan /

i run my tomos on 10w40 semi synthetic for motorcycles with wet clutches, seems to run just fine

Dude! that's mint. Great score!

So I got plates on it today and went for a ride. Top speed is 32mph. I might switch out the front sprocket to either a 27 or 28 tooth to get it up to 37-38mph. I'm keeping everything else stock on it. I changed out the gearbox fluid to synthetic 0w20 motor oil. Shifts smooth as butter

Please don't do anything stupid to it.

roy jongejan /

28 teeth sprocket doesnt fit in front without making adjustments to the engine if i remember correctly, better to change the rear sprocket. also original front sprocket should be 26 teeth

Front sprocket is way harder to change than a smaller rear one if u need to climb hills.

Overpriced Parts /

> Thomas Peffer Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I would prefer to use 0w20 synthetic motor oil in the gearbox just

> because its better for the gears and bearings

No you got a run type f Tranny fluid even though it sucks,if the clutches are not asbestos lined, because the cork lined clutches hate motor oil and you’ll have all kinds of fun a few weeks from now .

when I take out my Thomas and run synthetic motor oil I drain it real quick and put the type f in for storage So The cork lined clutches don’t absorb it and disintegrate

Bullshit, run motul 10w40 transoil expert. There's a reason why I and others stand beside it. I've used it in one speed e50's and two-speed tomos mopeds.

roy jongejan /

like i said, go for a motor oil that is specifically made/doped for wet clutches, i use 10w40 motorcycle oil

Tomorrow I'm going to drain the synthetic oil out of it and put in Type F tranny fluid. Thanks Ken

FUCKING MOTUL 10W40 TRANSOIL EXPERT

nice score

neither here nor there but, couple years ago i bought a case of type A

from a supply place i found online. never had a prob with any of my tomos

clutches in any way

I've got the same tomos. 27-22 gearing bone stock#64 jet reaching 40mph gps swear to you. Type F from ace hardware.

Ϫ‡☄ಬ∞ ƀƖḬƝƊ ƤǂƿƎ ∞ಬ☄‡Ϫ - Hoke from Black Pipes Moped Gang /

wow i am amazed. what a find. this is what i get for ignoring craigslist. very stoked for you, glad you're gonna keep it stock. if you ever want to get back 5x your inital investment let me know. wow that is a DREAM MACHINE

Start with some sort of oil designed for wet clutches. Increase the viscostiy with other oil types (bigger numbers, more viscus) if you want the clutches to engage later.

smaller numbers will give you more revs. bigger numbers will protect metal parts better.

synthetic oils will take longer to break down.

the keyword here it OIL and make sure there's enough (the side fill hole is the minimum required) check it often, especially once the automatic chain+wheel oiler starts working.

get one of those $50 expansion exhausts, a few larger Main jets (5-10 bigger), and drill some holes in the airbox for +5 MPH. Or dont (edited)

Pablo Puchasso /

I like trickshift if you can still find it

Update: it’s on Amazon, duh. (edited)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account