Anyone rebuild the seatpost from square to round?

Sandra Ström /

I have a little Ciao with the square seatpost and for some reason I bought a saddle with a round seatpost.

So anyone has a picture or an simple idea on how to rebuild it?

I just bought the moped and I´m learing by doing, since I have kind

of no knowledge of engines at all...

Every time a fault shows up I end up buying more stuff and learing :)

So I´m having fun, bying stuff all over the place.

Got bored waiting for parts som I removed all the paint.

Still waiting for more parts...

So bought a new saddle with another post. Not smart, but I wanted that one.

But I do have all access to workshop at work so material and welding is nearby.

Even though my weldingskills suck, for now.

48 year old mom and wife with to much free time during the Covid outbreak so I cant go on holiday...

Re: Anyone rebuild the seatpost from square to round?

Fuck yeah, good for you. you'll figure it out.

Post a picture of the seat and the post you want to attach it to. It'll give a better idea.

My first inclination is to use a round seat post clamp and a bolt through. Dunno.

This forum will help you with anything that comes up, the people here have vast amounts of knowledge....don't get discouraged

Wish I could help more, but I've never owned a ciao...Bravo's and Grande's yes but no ciaociao.

Sandra Ström /

Thank you :)

I should have saved the old seat, but I sold it off as soon as I ordered a new one.... I could have used the square part...

But this is how it looks...

And the chopperlooking one is coming today so I just snagged a picure from Google... Thinking it does not come with the pipepart, just the mount/bracket.

(Getting the chopper looking one for comfort. I´m old. I need backsupport...

And I will cover it in flakevinyl...

Will se how that works out since I´m trying to get the type for

t-shirt printing instead of the thick one for upholstrey. I have to try just for fun )

vespa-ciao-original-type-saddle-seat-with-rectangular-attachment (1).jpg
vespa-ciao-original-type-saddle-seat-with-rectangular-attachment.jpg
8881252-origpic-4a32b4.jpg

use one of those metal hot-glue guns. welder

put it wherever u want, to hold it up I prefer some blue tape, blocks of wood, bricks whatever is within reach, zap, zap fry some bacon.

Can't tell the size from the pic but looks maybe 1"square tubing thin wall would work...might check a welding shop or fabricating shop if you have one near by.

Sandra Ström /

I read twice, rolled my eyes and read again. And later my husband told me that some people call Mig welding a metal hot glue... And yes, bringing it to my work and a collegue will help me. He is a biker so he has more seat/seating experience and then he is also a, thinking of correct term in English here, a Blacksmithmechanic...For some reason that sounds wierd... Ill just say welder... Haha

Sandra,

I wouldn't weld it unless you have too. I think a more elegant (and reversible) solution would be to find the correct diameter of Round Tube to fit the new seat mounting clamp. I think it will fit inside the square hole on the frame. Then mark the holes that line up and drill for bolts to secure it. If it isn't a tight fit, get some flat steel to make shims. The bolts will probably be sufficient to hold you. If there is wiggle room, the bolts may eventually wear at the frame. So make the pipe a tight fit in the frame and the bolts just there to stop it from going up or down. Clamp the seat on the round pipe that sticks above and you're good to go.

This might be all wrong if the square hole is too small for the tube the seat mounts on. But I can’t tell the size from the pics. Here’s a doodle of what I would do.

2EDF43D2-27E6-4F97-A367-0E9647B9D076.jpeg

Mike Scouty McScoutington /

Depending on measurements you could also hack off the square tube from your original seat and bolt it up where the round bar clamp in on the new seat.

Sandra Ström /

Thank you! And I almost did it the way you wrote. Skipped the pipepart. Cut nothing and welded nothing love havinh full access to a welders workshop with all the material just laying around in the scrapbin for me to use :) Im not done yet. Step one .

20200624_160854.jpg

Sandra Ström /
20200624_160854.jpg

Thank you! And I almost did it the way you wrote. Skipped the pipepart. Cut nothing and welded nothing love havinh full access to a welders workshop with all the material just laying around in the scrapbin for me to use :) Im not done yet. Step one .

That works.

If you aren’t going to use the seat spring, I guess you could mount a taillight on that bit that’s sticking out.

How tall are you?

Sandra Ström /

The seat spring is in play. But the old brackets will stay so I can put a spare fuelcan there. :)

Looks and sounds like you have it going your way...nice job

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account