how to remove tomos flywheel without special tools?

what could i use as im trying not to spend alot of money because i dont have it haha

Re: how to remove tomos flywheel without special tools?

Oh man! I highly recommend getting the right tools, but you can get by without. Do you have a rubber mallet or a 3 jaw puller? You can sometimes grab them with a 2 or 3 jaw puller and yank it off that way, like a steering wheel puller

if not, theres the hammer trick. so I guess lets start with the nut, if you dont have a piston stop or something to hold the flywheel you can shove some rope or a cutoff bungee down into the spark plug hole to act as a piston stop. just be careful you dont thread too much in and get it down into the exhaust port or you can wind up trying to slice it and breaking a ring or something. It also puts stress on the crank but people use piston stops all the time so it's fine. Alternately you can jam a screwdrive through the flywheel holes and brace it against the stator to hold the flywheel, but you risk cracking the stator or shredding the coil wires so use caution and be cognizant of what you're bracing against.

then you can get the flywheel nut off.

now to get the flywheel off. if you've got a puller of some kind you can maybe make it work, i've gotten em with some bolts tucked under the flywheel windows using a harmonic puller or a puch style clutch puller, but if you've really got nothing - it's HAMMER TIME

basically the flywheel is press fit tight on a taper, you need to knock it off that taper, so gently rotating and tapping it can work. just bang on it evenly until it pops off. it works, i did it forever (til I realized how much easier and more reliable a puller was for $12 or whatever it costs...) hammering on it can theoretically damage the bearings and the crank but it realistically probably wont unless you're being an ass. a metal hammer can potentially affect the magnets and i've heard of people whacking it enough to crack the magnets so a rubber hammer is better but even a rock will do it - use what ya got.

I bought a V1 powered Safari some time ago. Previous owner removed the flywheel with the hammer method. Bent crank, bent flywheel. As a kid I ruined a Briggs and Stratton engine using the hammer method. I can successfully do it now on a B&S but would prefer not to.

If you cannot adapt some sort of jawed puller I highly recommend borrowing or buying the proper tool.

yea i tried to illustrate the risk in improper tools. Like anything you can change a light standing on a bucket that's set on a chair, but you might bust your ass. what's worth the risk? That's up to you. With any cheap improper solution you can probably make it work but there's added risk too

leave it on, just clean and set the points thru the windows, oil the felt pad too.

> pat splat Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> leave it on, just clean and set the points thru the windows, oil the

> felt pad too.

THIS is the answer. Be frugal but be cautious.

Mike Scouty McScoutington /

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WDTW9FG/

Cheap multi puller set on Amazon. Verify thread/pitch, but this should be cover any puller needs you may have.

Ϫ‡☄ಬ∞ ƀƖḬƝƊ ƤǂƿƎ ∞ಬ☄‡Ϫ - Hoke from Black Pipes Moped Gang /

> Mike Scouty McScoutington Wrote:

>

>

> Cheap multi puller set on Amazon. Verify thread/pitch, but this should

> be cover any puller needs you may have.

get this and never worry about any flywheel ever.

Get a puller. Cheaper than replacing the parts you break.

Yeah I have a weird flywheel that the tomos/Puch puller doesn't fit.I always have wondered if that flywheel puller set has one that fits.

Pushrod Fifty /

Pullers for the exact fit are only 15.00. Thats the cheapest way out. Cranks are about 150.00 and cases aren't sold new anymore, but used ones would be about 100.00.

> Mike Scouty McScoutington Wrote:

>

>

> Cheap multi puller set on Amazon. Verify thread/pitch, but this should

> be cover any puller needs you may have.

I have this same set, can verify it works for tomos, puch, and v1 minarelli engines. Also works on honda z50, ct70, ct90 engines as well.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account