Puch magnum mkII

New to the forum and puch mopeds.

Just picked up a 1980 puch magnum mkII at an auction, its the brown model (image attached) just have a few questions about it, whats the value on a bike like this? Its only got 1491 miles on it! Also what are some good mods? Would a bigger carb and performance pipe wake this little engine up? It runs very well after i spent some time and money tuning it up. Thanks for any info in advance!

20200615_132004.jpg

Re: Puch magnum mkII

***Kim Jong illest*** /

If you fuck with it people will bitch, but do whatever you like, it's your bike. There's plenty of info in the wiki to get you started. Ups magnums don't come around everyday so prepare for purist hate and "sell me that" messages

Pushrod Fifty /

If you keep it stock it will run forever.

Try it stock for a little bit! I have the same moped and all I did was change the shift pucks and up jet 4 sizes and she does an honest 38mph and gets there quick! Flip the Second gear too for free smiles.

46FF67D5-90E1-4253-BD24-BD5458AF2659.jpeg

folks refer to those as the "UPS" magnum for the UPS dark brown and gold colorway. They've got the Puch ZA50 motor, which is slightly less common and more complicated than the more typical e50 single speed, but for most purposes it's a great motor. Knowing the engine though will help when searching parts, as some magnums came with the e50, so for example a "magnum" clutch wouldnt necessarily get you the right stuff whereas a za50 clutch would. the topend cylinders and exhausts and carbs etc are all mostly interchangeable tho. The exhaust port angle IS different for magnums though so in that case you do want a "magnum" exhaust.

For performance, a first step usually is just a performance pipe - As mentioned it needs to be a magnum pipe with angle port. Personally I'd recommend the MLM people's pipe here, but you've got options:

https://www.treatland.tv/motion-left-peoples-pipe-for-stock-puch-magnum-p/mlm-pipe-magnum-401047.htm

That should pair well with everything else being stock including intake and carb, you'll need to get a bigger jet but everything else should be smooth. this is a very reliable and satisfying setup.

The additional gains with a bigger carb and intake are small unless you plan to open up and port the cylinder, or move to a bigger cylinder kit, personally I probably wouldnt. If you DO go with a kit, ZA's have a bushing crank which is not well suited to hgh RPM. Ideally rebuilding it and putting a roller bearing crank is the best option, but i'm sure Ken Roff will pop in here with some advice too and he definitely knows his way around a ZA magnum.

Alternately you can usually do quite well with a milder piston port kit, like the metra 65cc or the generic "70" party packs on treats.

a final note, flipping the clutch! It's been mentioned above and one of my favorite mods in all of mopeds, it's free and easy and gives you a very nice "semi automatic" control of the shifting, simply let off the throttle and roll it back on and it shifts to 2nd. this lets you delay the shifting and get much better acceleration as a result. it's pretty great.

Thanks for all of the info everyone! I took it on its first ride this evening, for the most part I think i will keep it close to stock. I don't have any plans for a cylinder kit, however I will definitely try flipping the clutch

And wow I like the looks of that MLM peoples pipe, I will be keeping that one in mind

Beyond flipping the clutch you need to do your shift pucks. That's not a recommendation, that's a necessity. Unless you like replacing transmission parts that aren't made to be replaced

Thanks for the tip Nick, I didn't mention it but I have already replaced the pucks. However at that point I hadn't rode it yet and wasn't sure about flipping the clutch

up shits creek /

damn that is a sweet bike!

Ϫ‡☄ಬ∞ ƀƖḬƝƊ ƤǂƿƎ ∞ಬ☄‡Ϫ - Hoke from Black Pipes Moped Gang /

Wow yea that’s a peach. Keep it like you found it, if you want to cut up a moped there are plenty of maxis and tomos around. Ups magnum in original condition is a needle in a haystack. Happy riding.

> Jason Truslow Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Thanks for the tip Nick, I didn't mention it but I have already replaced

> the pucks. However at that point I hadn't rode it yet and wasn't sure

> about flipping the clutch

Cool, flipping the clutch helps for sure. If you do decide you want to modify your bike I'll trade you a non-ups color scheme mkii Magnum with a ZA50 kit, pipe and 14.14 SHA for you to play around with instead. Stock unmolested ups magnums are few and far between and any left deserve to stay stock

john cervini /
20200504_182533.jpg

Beautiful bike. Enjoy!

roy jongejan /

do it some justice and find a proper Homoet exhaust for it, fits its age well

roy jongejan /

I would like to see that mlm sneaky people pipe on this. I think I'm going to grab that pipe for my za50 magnum build. But I think it only comes as flat port so he would need to change up the cyl.

I simply hate the handle bar switches on those. So big bulky and broken. They almost seem like an after though the designer just threw on at the last.

roy jongejan /

just replace the ugly switch with a chrome Puch Merit switch, is what i did on my Tomos, looks way better

Overpriced Parts /

> cheetahchrome . Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I simply hate the handle bar switches on those. So big bulky and broken.

> They almost seem like an after though the designer just threw on at the

> last.

It’s just the hollow switch bases that break off The switches are great!

The switches are perfect and very weatherproof and there are solid Switch bases Made by a ebay seller that are great.

Those Plastic switches I prefer so I actually took chrome switches off my mopeds and put those plastic ones on before

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account