1985 qt 50

Brian Branham /

Mine is missing the top of the key switch but starts and runs , but none of the signal lights or headlight and horn works? Any suggestions on what is wrong?

Looking for a key switch for it (edited)

image.jpg

Re: 1985 qt 50

cool post, nice to see someone ask why.

why does it start and run. that's because the ignition and lighting coils are separate.

whats up with that ignition switch. its antique balanced force regulation bullshit.

now Ill say how to fix. method 1. run it stock. find the lighting coil. there will be 2 wires coming out of the lighting coil. the bright one goes to the headlight and the dimmer one goes to the tail. use your manual.

method 2. rewire to modern. find the find the lighting coil. there will be 2 wires coming out of the lighting coil. the bright one goes to all the lights on the bike and the dimmer one gets n/c. (remember the other side of the headlight lighting coil is grounded. that means you need a half wave 12v rec/reg.) the fix will need leds because its half wave. so its headlight wire to the r/r to led's. run the horn through the r/r. battery or big cap is your choice.

Re: 1985 qt 50

Probably something electrical.....lol I'm just fucking around.

Is your battery good? You should have headlight and taillight without the battery I believe...but turnsignals need it...wiring diagrams are in the wiki..

I'd bet that something isn't connected, judging by the exposed contacts and lack of a wiper in the switch...I do know it's not a standard available keyed switch, may need some mcguyvering if you can't find the correct one.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account