Tap & die kits

I checked a post thread essential tools, looking for info. Papa mentioned it in a thread yesterday. But I'm only familiar with plumbing kits. I looked them up and got a headache too many. Guys , just wondering if you have a particular kit used for mopeds? (edited)

Re: Tap & die kits

Eric Davenport /
Screenshot_20200627-091139_Chrome.jpg

I was thinking more something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SG6C6RK/

I have the one from harbor freight.I have used it so much.I think it's one of those things from harbor freight that's actually good.

Is there a handle in there papa?

> Les B. Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Is there a handle in there papa?

I usually use a 6 inch crescent wrench .

I was just posting something that had the appropriate drill bits matched to the tap. The tap and die sets are half useless unless you’re making your own threaded rod. Maybe cleaning up the threads on a buggered bolt.

I don’t think that one has the handle but there may be one out there. Or buy the super cheap set from harbor freight and get a decent drill index.

More than one way to go about it and that’s up to you.

But , when you do need a die , the set sure keeps a smile going . ;)

Yeah, I’ve 3 throttle perch’s two have to be for European mopeds cause they are not threaded. I’m probably gonna to have to drill & tap one. Jackerz is sending one so I can only hope both holes are threaded. Lowe’s has a small set I’m gonna get while I wait for my package! Left perch original.both holes threaded. Center perch,only switch hole threaded .right one ,no switch hole, cable hole not threaded.

3BEC56AD-16BA-4D9D-BF1E-DD3E2935FFCB.jpeg

Pushrod Fifty /

I buy M6 taps and other as needed taps at a hardware store. Look online for the correct drill bit size for a 75% thread which is what most are and buy as needed. The sets will be cheap unless they are a good name. I have an M6 die that I use to clean threads. Comes in handy. Hanson brand is pretty good. Use a tap wrench and oil, they break easily if forced from side to side from using pliers or other incorrect tools.

> Pushrod Fifty Wrote:

> I buy M6 taps and other as needed taps at a hardware store. Look online

> for the correct drill bit size for a 75% thread which is what most are

> and buy as needed. The sets will be cheap unless they are a good name.

> I have an M6 die that I use to clean threads. Comes in handy. Hanson

> brand is pretty good. Use a tap wrench and oil, they break easily if

> forced from side to side from using pliers or other incorrect tools.

If I recall correctly it's a 1/4" drill bit for M6!

Overpriced Parts /

I used to have really good set but we had a flood And water got in it destroying most of it it so I got a Cheepo harbor freight set 6-7 years ago then I bought a few good quality Taps for common sizes like m6, and some bottoming taps and what was left from other set so I got enough for most stuff.

The harbor freight cheepo kit it has a die perfect fit to chase puch crank threads and after fixing threads on about 10 cranks it still works

Pushrod Fifty /

Tap drill size for an M6 is 5mm.

I don't have any luck at Horror Fright. I kept returning a torque wrench. Kid grabbed one when I got it in the Jeep it stunk of cigarettes! POS was used, abused, and put back on shelf. 3 strikes.

If you dont have metric 5mm drill you should use .196 standard or off the store shelf 13/64

Dave Thacker /

Avoid the China Crap. I have quite a few sets, all American. ACE, Hanson, Irwin, Vermont American, these are all inexpensive American sets. If the die stock has a cast center section, it's China. A sometimes cheap way to get an American set is to buy Craftsman which if it's more than 10 years old is Vermont American.

Example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/OLD-USED-VINTAGE-MACHINING-TOOLS-PREMIUM-CRAFTSMAN-TAP-DIE-SET-FINE-SHAPE/254635387633?hash=item3b4973aaf1:g:4SEAAOSwOape9T~R

I would expect this set to 50 to 75. It's worth 10x that Amazon crap.

Beware a craftsman set in plastic shrink. That is new and it's China junk.

Metric sets for for more than SAE as there were fewer of them made.

Yeah , been looking at CL tools. None to be found.

Pushrod Fifty /

An M6 Hanson is around 6.00 at True Value Hardware but that should be the going price for an American made one.

punkrock randy /

I got some lil fancy Klein kit where the taps start as a drill bit appropriately sized, further down is the tap, and it tapers to deburr after the tap section. But that set is SAE, for work. Everything else in my life is metric

Pushrod Fifty /

I have a bunch of SAE tap sets from the US made era but all my work is metric.

> Pushrod Fifty Wrote:

> I have a bunch of SAE tap sets from the US made era but all my work is

> metric.

Not ever bolt on any of my bikes are metric , anymore . ;)

Thanks guys, gonna put this in notebook.

Overpriced Parts /

> P D Wrote:

> > Pushrod Fifty Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > I have a bunch of SAE tap sets from the US made era but all my work is

>

> > metric.

>

> Not ever bolt on any of my bikes are metric , anymore . ;)

I hate getting a bike that someone butcher by putting mixed fasteners on it especially wherever you can buy SAE Fasteners you could buy metric ones nowadays

> Overpriced Parts Wrote:

> I hate getting a bike that someone butcher by putting mixed fasteners on

> it especially wherever you can buy SAE Fasteners you could buy metric

> ones nowadays

But , it wasn't always like it is now .

And , it's far from butchering when it keeps the machine in use for longer than you care to use it . ;)

Dave Thacker /

Irwin is American made. I have the full big set, sae, metric and drill bits. Got it off a mechanic that said he didn't use it enough. Think I paid 140 for it.

> Overpriced Parts Wrote:

> ------------------------------------------------------

> I hate getting a bike that someone butcher by putting mixed fasteners on

> it especially wherever you can buy SAE Fasteners you could buy metric

> ones nowadays

Don't get a Carabela, then. Made in Mexico and half of the bolts are standard, and half are metric.

I bought a cheap harbor freight set about 15 years ago. Use it on crap stuff, and it works when I need it.

But I bought individual metric taps from McFadden Dale, hi quality M6, M8, and a few others. Flat bottom taps so I can get all the threads needed in intake, exhaust, etc.

Gotta have some good taps. Extracting a soft broken stud is easy. Not so with a hardened, broken tap

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account