ZA50 from bare case?

I’ve been looking for a project to build.

I have the insides of an E50 and posted a WTB for E50 case on B/S.

If that doesn’t pan out, I am looking at the cases for ZA on Treats. I sent them an email asking if they could sell me a package deal for the complete bottom end of a ZA.

Looking on MA, I see a lot of possible issues with building a ZA out of random parts. I’m up for the challenge. Got plenty of time on my hands.

Just wanted to know if anyone has done it and has a parts list, in case Treats doesn’t come through with something?

Re: ZA50 from bare case?

Wesley Ambrosini /

Exploded diagrams from the manual would be a good place to start

The wiki has a rebuild tutorial that has all the trans parts which makes up 90% of the bike. You gotta match the trans cover with the brass bushing on the crank

It would be more cost effective to buy a good bottom end complete. For me the price went from $80 to $150. I still needed a crank, bearings, gaskets and top end. I'm not complaining but it adds up fast. Oh, and flywheel and magneto. Maybe I did it wrong. I usually do... (edited)

Overpriced Parts /

> Wesley Ambrosini Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Exploded diagrams from the manual would be a good place to start

>

> The wiki has a rebuild tutorial that has all the trans parts which makes

> up 90% of the bike. You gotta match the trans cover with the brass

> bushing on the crank

No you don’t only on certain years and Of course black clutch covers cannot be used with non-black clutch cover za50s

I got a set of ZA cases in great shape with new bearings and seals on my magnum. No crank, no transmission. I'm really puzzled by it, but I figured it's much cheaper to just buy a new ZA than use these cases and collect all the parts

I would definitely prefer to start with a complete engine and do a tear down/ rebuild. But I cannot seem to find any for sale. The market dried up.

Since nobody said it’s stupid hard, I’ll check out the diagram and make a parts list. If it goes well above the price of a moped with complete engine (which is likely) maybe I’ll have to go that route.

Funny how that works.

I found a Puch in Austria that has a two speed with twist shift. At least that’s what it looks like from the pics. Didn’t translate. But I can’t go there if I wanted it.

Thanks for the info.

Overpriced Parts /

> Papa _ Wrote:

> I would definitely prefer to start with a complete engine and do a tear

> down/ rebuild. But I cannot seem to find any for sale. The market dried

> up.

>

> Since nobody said it’s stupid hard, I’ll check out the diagram and make

> a parts list. If it goes well above the price of a moped with complete

> engine (which is likely) maybe I’ll have to go that route.

>

> Funny how that works.

>

> I found a Puch in Austria that has a two speed with twist shift. At

> least that’s what it looks like from the pics. Didn’t translate. But I

> can’t go there if I wanted it.

>

> Thanks for the info.

Get that Z50 manual Hand shift its a good engine

Like I said, I would have that if I could. But I’m in the USA at the moment and not allowed to travel to get it when I’m back in Germany anyways. My wife is amazing but she isn’t gonna drive that far to get me a moped.

Sounds like I might get fixed up from Treats. So, I’m gonna hold off on this discussion for a min until I hear back from them.

Try Detroit Moped Works.

Overpriced Parts /

> Papa _ Wrote:

> Like I said, I would have that if I could. But I’m in the USA at the

> moment and not allowed to travel to get it when I’m back in Germany

> anyways. My wife is amazing but she isn’t gonna drive that far to get me

> a moped.

>

> Sounds like I might get fixed up from Treats. So, I’m gonna hold off on

> this discussion for a min until I hear back from them.

What state are you in now?

Contact the seller and see if they will send the motor to Germany? Worth a shot.

Y’all are great.

I have offers from Treats and a seller on the B/S forum here.

I’m confident those will yield a nice case.

I was wanting to try something different. However, I have a lot of E50 parts. From a recycling standpoint, it makes sense to use them.

I think I’ll try for a 50/50 with stock cylinder. Never tried that before.

Roffman,

I’m in NJ but totally quarantined and doing training. Then shipping back home for more quarantine there. I can’t conveniently do anything here or there. Just trying to work some online purchases out so I have toys to play with when this is over.

I have a mostly complete za50 and to get the missing/replacement parts I need I'm looking at about $500.

I have most of the transmission tho so that has saved me like $300. If you have just bare cases it is going to cost at least $800 worth if parts thru treats. And they dont even have everything. But morons moped should have some of the tidbits that treats does not. And I actually didnt even factor in a whole new crank since my engine has one already, but i actually should replace that. Add another $200 for crank and bearings. So it is gonna cost about $1000 to build that engine up from cases if you dont have any parts already for it.

The only thing that is stumping me right now is figuring out which bearings I need to get for my tranny cover....

Gawd I want to build this za, but the e50 I have is sounding sweeter every day. Especially since it is already a complete engine. And I could spend like $200 on a rebuild for it and call it a day.

Brotha I feel your pain in this one.

I guess that settles it for sure. I have $1500 into my magnum, $1000+ building the E-ped with my son, $250 for my daughter’s electric scooter, $700 for my middle son’s dirt bike.

Most of the magnum stuff was before corona but everything else came during it.

My wife is cool with my hobbies, but $1000 for just an engine on a scratch built moped after all that ^? I can’t even convince myself it’s a good idea.

Thanks for the heads up. I figured the ZA50 would be a lot of parts. No idea it was that much.

> Jay Rivett Wrote:

>

> The only thing that is stumping me right now is figuring out which

> bearings I need to get for my tranny cover....

1x 6002 bearing

Then, measure the OD of your clutch bell to get the ID and the OD of the bearing seat in the case, and it will either be a 16101(30mm OD - 12mm ID) or a 16100 (28mm OD - 10mm ID)

I think I have $500 in my engine purchase and rebuild. Crank, bearings, kit, etc. Meanwhile my wife's crusty Pinto E50 just keeps going at 3300 miles.

> Mike Boyd Wrote:

> > Jay Rivett Wrote:

>

> >

>

> > The only thing that is stumping me right now is figuring out which

>

> > bearings I need to get for my tranny cover....

>

> 1x 6002 bearing

>

> Then, measure the OD of your clutch bell to get the ID and the OD of the

> bearing seat in the case, and it will either be a 16101(30mm OD - 12mm

> ID) or a 16100 (28mm OD - 10mm ID)

Mike,

Yes I have measured but I never trust my measurements and my calipers are garbage. I need to invest in some half decent digital ones to make sure.

Papa, I have way too much sunk into this bike already as well, i just want it running. I have built a dream ped and cant get the sumbich to run with the current setup. Any dorection I go at this point is going to cost me a minimum of $300 to get an engine up to snuff. And that is even if I went the e50 route. But the e50 from bare cases has less than half of the parts than a za does, and requires a lot less work to get together properly.

Maybe instead of paying all the money for engine parts, I’ll just buy a lathe and mill.

Build my own damn engine.

Sort of kidding? But in the long run it could be fun and never have to worry about supply running out.

I’ll have two hobbies. Mopeds and ruining cutting tools.

Joseph, if your reading this, I still wanna buy that E50. Just running my mouth.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account