Questions about a Barn find.

Dave Keister /

I just came across a 1983 Honda PA50ii that hasn't seen daylight since 2001. It was left in a barn with half a tank of fuel and now it is the rottenest, foul smelling stuff I have ever seen. I am not even going to try to have the tank cleaned since replacement tanks are available, but I am having great difficulty locating a carb rebuild kit for the original carb. It is my understanding that the Chinese replacement carbs are of questionable quality, so I was hoping to rebuild my original. Anyone know of a source for a rebuild kit? Also is this considered a HOBBIT, as I am finding a lot of references to Hobbit parts when searching for parts?

Re: Questions about a Barn find.

Yes it's a hobbit. You dont need a rebuild kit. The gasket is the only rubber component, and floats and float valves aren't hard to find. But you probably won't need those either.

Unlike a 4t bike or American car carb. Rebuild kits aren't generally needed. Very few parts.

That being said, kehlin carbs can be finicky. After you pull it apart and clean everything, you may still have trouble idling even though it runs great otherwise. This is very common with hobbit carbs. The passages are very narrow. Just continue cleaning the passages with solvent and compressed air(or just carb cleaner)and if worse comes to worse, you can pull the Welch plug and clean the passages from the other side. Very rarely tho. (edited)

Also, you should seriously attempt to clean the og tank. The replacements were actually meant for a Chinese mage jialing clone bike. Lotsa fitment issues.

Filler with screws n bolts with some evaporust and shake away. Let it sit n shake some more! Drain and rinse and then fill with premix to stop rusting.... You can also just fill it with vinegar, let it sit a day and then shake it with bolts to break up chunks.

Please just clean the tank. Dawn dish soap and really hot water goes a long way in cleaning out old gas.

Dave Keister /

Unfortunately I was advised by a company that specializes in cleaning and restoring gas tanks that mine was not repairable and replacement was the only reasonable option. So I guess I will find out just how bad the reproduction tanks are. I would have rather repaired my original tank. Next question, I replaced the battery with a charged new one and nothing works, no lights or horn. Fuse off battery is good and switch is in on position. Any ideas would be appreciated.

> Dave Keister Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Unfortunately I was advised by a company that specializes in cleaning

> and restoring gas tanks that mine was not repairable and replacement was

> the only reasonable option. So I guess I will find out just how bad the

> reproduction tanks are. I would have rather repaired my original tank.

> Next question, I replaced the battery with a charged new one and nothing

> works, no lights or horn. Fuse off battery is good and switch is in on

> position. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Have you even tried yourself? I wouldn’t trust them. You can’t trust anybody else with your moped besides you.

Why isn’t it repairable? Is it full of holes? Don’t buy a junk repop tank! Clean the one you have!

> Dave Keister Wrote:

> Unfortunately I was advised by a company that specializes in cleaning

> and restoring gas tanks that mine was not repairable and replacement was

> the only reasonable option.

Most automotive shops have no idea what to do with moped-sized parts. They usually tell you the parts are "not repairable, by us."

Advertise on the buy and sell forum for a used tank?

Not repairable my ass. I pulled a Sachs tank that had been sitting outside for 30+ years, completely coated in gas that had turned into this terrible hard putty, soaked it and rinsed it with dawn dish soap and boiling water every day for a week, and then brazed the many many pinholes in it. It's metal, if they can't fix it they shouldn't be in business.

20200629_180554.jpg

I have saved so many horrible tanks. Just soldered up another pinhole on a Pinto tank that should have been thrown away. Just spend some time with it. (edited)

Dave Keister /

OK. What am I missing here? What is the big love affair for a junky rusted out gas tank when a replacement is available? if original parts are the issue then by your standards I should fix the leaking carb float and reuse it as well. I just don't understand the issue.

> Dave Keister Wrote:

> OK. What am I missing here? What is the big love affair for a junky

> rusted out gas tank when a replacement is available? if original parts

> are the issue then by your standards I should fix the leaking carb float

> and reuse it as well. I just don't understand the issue.

It's about making something work right , with your own hands/mind .

Any dipstick can go buy new whatever and that includes a float . ;)

Because cheap, repop, Chinese replacement parts SUCK! Original in any condition is nearly always better. But you do you bud. Remember, you came here asking for advice. We gave it to ya. Not sorry if it’s not what you wanna hear. Good luck.

Dirty30 Dillon /

Yeah, the repop tanks are not great at all

Dave Keister /

glad to see this forum is just like every other, I am glad I didn't invest to much time here because it didn't take long to ferret out the assholes.

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Dave Keister Wrote:

> glad to see this forum is just like every other, I am glad I didn't

> invest to much time here because it didn't take long to ferret out the

> assholes.

AcrobaticFeminineFallowdeer-size_restricted.gif

> Dave Keister Wrote:

> assholes.

We’re glad you won’t be wasting our time too, cupcake.

Good luck finding a group to spoon feed you what you want to hear.

Dave Keister /

In the first place, I did not ask for your opinions concerning the gas tank issue because as far as I was concerned that was not a problem, I took the advice to clean the carb and in doing so I found the float to be leaking. I am going to attempt to repair the float by plastic welding the hole. Understand I am not some punk kid and certainly will not accept being treated like one. I am a 63 year old, certified class A AUTO mechanic. I have a basic understanding of 2 stroke engines, but not experienced with them on a large scale. So if someone is willing to answer my questions without the pissy attitude, it would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

I see some decent advice from a few people and only one person with a pissy attitude.

You brought up the tank in the first place, if its really that bad maybe post a picture of it to shut everyone up about it. Hobbit tanks are really easy to clean and pits/pinholes are really easy to patch with basic knowledge and tools.

I agree that repop parts are usually junk and not worth it even if your parts are pretty far gone. IMO a rusty og tank is way cooler looking too.

As for the carb, there are 2 o-rings, 1 for the float bowl and 1 for the intake flange. Hop on treats and they have every part for that carb, or save some cash and post in buy/sell for a good used one.

You need a thick skin here, but that is true for just about any forum.

My first ped was a hobbit, I miss that little ripper. There is a lot of info here, check the wiki. You may have some passages blocked in the carb as well, go here https://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Honda_PA_Carburetor_/_Fuel

There is a cheap china replacement carb that is supposed to be good, but it was a while ago I can’t find the info, so buy at your own risk.

As far as the tank, let’s see some photos. If it isn’t leaking, fill it with some Evaporust(or similar) and let it sit for a while.

Good luck

> Dave Keister Wrote:

> assholes.

It's your bike man. Do what you want to it and don't listen to the masses. They are giving you advice to what they have seen work. Take it for what you will. Buy a china tank and make it work. I'm sure it will be just fine. It's not a Corvette, it's a moped. Some of these guys on here just like to pick a fight with everyone. You will see who they are. Stick around for the shit show. I would put up a post in buy/sell for a good tank though. Im sure someone will give you a deal. (edited)

Dave Keister /

I did cook the crap out of the tank as best as possible and found several pinholes on the bottom of the tank. It was so bad that I actually pushed my finger through the tank. That is when I took it to a tank repair company for their assessment of the tank. It was advised that I replace the tank if possible. I no longer have the old junk tank since I have disposed of it when I found a replacement from Treats. Now enough about the tank. As for the carb, I soaked it overnight in Gunk carb Cleaner and blew compressed air through all the orifices and then soaked it again and blew it out again and it seems they are all clear, I have a gasket kit coming from Treats as well as a precaution since I could not find a rebuild kit. I found a replacement float from a Honda Dealer out of state and will order it if I can't repair mine. I am going to take my remaining questions to the repair forum. Thank you all for your help.

> Dave Keister Wrote:

> assholes.

I thought everyone was being nice up until this post. From one old person to another, calm down. You want a NEW or new used tank? Go for it. It's your toy, play with it how you like. Some of us tightwads try to repair everything we can because, well we're tightwads.

It was brought to my attention years ago that a true mechanic is one who can use their ingenuity to repair things with a file, a torch or whatever means to return the component to service. Today in the automotive repair field, for the most part, mechanics have been replaced with parts swappers.

But, i'm just another asshole who was ferreted out.

If your tank was that bad, I understand. I still would have tried a little patch and repair with a torch, but i'm a glutton for punishment. (edited)

I dunno - messing with the old parts is half the fun.

The other half is how much fun it is to ride it before you have to mess with the old parts.

I can't believe how nice some of these peds are for being 40 years old.

I am polish a rusted chrome rim and it looks new - so worth it.

Pushrod Fifty /

Nothing is worse than auto mechanic hands on a good restorable moped.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account