Re: Puch Free Spirit Build [Polini RV4, Tomar Dry Clutch, etc.]

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

This is bonkers, i love it.

Did you make that delrin chain guide, or buy it? I need something just like it

@honkycat - So that was the tricky part of figuring all this out. So if my memory serves me right, the primary gear is 56 and the final is 114. So lets say 2.04 ratio. When I am at 6k at the crank, my clutch is spinning at 2941. The clutch I am using (td43 for a 4-cycle) essentially lets you engage at a much lower speed, much lower than the 2-cycle kart clutches at the crank. So I am tuning at a lower rpm, external and easy access. If you notice my clutch drive sprocket is 11T and the wheel sprocket is 70T. When you start crunching numbers it all makes perfect sense. (edited)

@detective - Made it on the mill, with a welded aluminum bracket. (edited)

This is amazeballs. Let's see some vids of it running! Melt my heart.

Just to add some more info. the reason I moved away from the 70cc kit (besides the top end speed), was the fact that the clutch was ratcheting at engagement. Really engaging/disengaging so that whole damn bike was loud and vibrating. When I first set it up I was using 3 discs, then it was better when I moved to 2 discs, but still annoying as hell. It was grabbing nice but it just sounded nasty. So after talking with Quatermaster (tomar) we came to the conclusion that the power just wasn't there to handle the clutch. I was originally going to go with a Gila but ended up thinking at the time an RV4 water cooled would be a cool and challenging addition. So now with the added power, the clutch engages just as you would think, it slips, catches and its done.

Ϫ‡☄ಬ∞ ƀƖḬƝƊ ƤǂƿƎ ∞ಬ☄‡Ϫ - Hoke from Black Pipes Moped Gang /

finally a good thread

RZ Namllow /

Cool build! I give you credit :-)

Awesome, great to see something new done to the e50 clutch.

This is why I love mopeds. ya'll just get wild with it.

That is a great place to put a clutch.

Thanks for the explanation. I started searching it out yesterday to see speeds and performances.

My cousin used to race dirt track go karts. I never even considered those external clutches for mopeds but it makes perfect sense now.

Sorry about the preoccupation with that. The whole build really is well done.

I have a couple of videos of this running. So I definitely have some tuning issues and need to mess with the clutch. I will put the 3 disc cage back on and start tuning from there. Right now there is a studder at 26mph-ish and everything happens 36+.

I will post some hard starts to show the clutch soon.

startup, slow starts

Road run

Hell yes. Sounds awesome

Dirty30 Dillon /

There's so much work involved in this, and stuff that's out-of-the-box thinking wise, it's really commendable.

I'm interested to hear if you think that all the work on getting the tomar to function on the output shaft really netted any performance gains vs. a traditional wet clutch.

Also curious if you've address issues with flung oil off the chain getting into the clutch and causing pad glazing/burnout.

Really inspiring build, looks, and sounds great! I don't know shit about those types of clutches, but it looks like it could do some serious damage if you got your foot too close. Anyway to add some sort of cover or guard? May help keep oil out too, as Dillon asked about above. Regardless, this is awesome.

Dam this is awesome. Such a cool way to mount a dry clutch. Killer job.

Yeah this is some awesome out-of-the-box thinking. Got two birds stoned at once. Great concept and even better execution!

Looks pretty zippy of the line, have you found a top speed yet or still taking it easy on the new cyl? From the sweet videos it looks kind of mild compared to the amount of work that had to go into it. I love the ability to say you made something cool like this. I lack many of the skills needed to pull this off so it seems like a, "what's the point?", type of thing. Again super amazing work I am in complete awe of your skills.

Emil Kniemel /

The preview pic on the General Forum page does not do this thread any justice lol.

Amazing work!

jr8V1V7.gif

Thanks for the positive comments, I appreciate it..

[@hydra] As far as the clutch goes, I don't have any experience with the highly upgraded wet clutches so I cant speak to how different it is. I would definitely do this again as the tomar is very predictable, it is very easy to tweak with different springs, weights and clutch discs. I am using lighter springs (black .085) and removed the weights from the levers. This gives a stall speed around 6000 at the crank and somewhere near 2800/2900 at the clutch. I started at this rpm because I wanted the clutch to not slip while cruising around the neighborhood. I have not touched/adjusted the clutch since I put the RV4 head on around fall of 2016. Right now due to the tuning being out of wack (I also need to open up one more hole of the airbox) the take off is either "ok like in the video on partial throttle" or flat out quick. I am going to pull the clutch off over the weekend and see what I can do with the 3 disc cage. As far as the oil getting in the clutch, its has not been a problem and I also am using the very sticky kart chain lube, no fling.

[@straubzilla] I actually have a cage for the mini rotor and clutch, I just need to find it. When I cut the area on the engine case to fit the clutch I also kept the stock rotor cover on so it matches, then I welded some steel to that for good airflow.

[@bjaockx] The other night I went for about a 25 mile ride and did a speed run. My trail tech tach showed 59.4 mph max and the phone GPS was 59.7. My fat ass is 197 lbs which I am blaming on the pandemic.

[@tpr950h] I tried to change but the posts are locked, I haven't messed with posting enough on here. (edited)

> T Sull Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

>

>

> [@bjaockx] The other night I went for about a 25 mile ride and did a

> speed run. My trail tech tach showed 59.4 mph max and the phone GPS was

> 59.7. My fat ass is 197 lbs which I am blaming on the pandemic.

>

Oh brotha I am a portly fellow myself. 215 on the good days. I know all about the slow takeoffs. Nothin worse than some dude that is 110 soaking wet doing wheelies on your bike that is like a box turtle with you on it.

That airbox is crazy too where did you get that thing from? Is it specific to the polini carbs, or could it work on other carbs?

> Jay Rivett Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > T Sull Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> >

>

> >

>

> > [@bjaockx] The other night I went for about a 25 mile ride and did

> a

>

> > speed run. My trail tech tach showed 59.4 mph max and the phone GPS

> was

>

> > 59.7. My fat ass is 197 lbs which I am blaming on the pandemic.

>

> >

>

> Oh brotha I am a portly fellow myself. 215 on the good days. I know all

> about the slow takeoffs. Nothin worse than some dude that is 110

> soaking wet doing wheelies on your bike that is like a box turtle with

> you on it.

>

> That airbox is crazy too where did you get that thing from? Is it

> specific to the polini carbs, or could it work on other carbs?

The airbox Is an rlv karting 4 hole airbox. There are quite a few different types but this one is cool because each of the 4 holes can be open or blocked and the port size is configurable. Plus each port has length to it for sound control. I mainly put it on to control intake noise, it works very well.

Matt Mahloch -- MBM Customs /

Nice build. You got skills

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account