New project. Sachs Balboa.

My first project. Probably paid too much to be honest but whatev. That my problem, not yours. Was hoping for a D but got a C so not too bad imo. Seems to be all there but a lot is dickered. Will have to replace some parts and see what's what. As for now I tried to check for spark and compression of which it seems to have neither. I plugged the spark plug hole with my finger and peddled and it didn't seem to build any backup pressure. Also tried to set the spark plug on the jug and peddle to check spark and didn't see anything either. Any advice would be appreciated. I'm going to check a few things but would like to hear others opinions as well.

IMG_20200629_203312.jpg
00000IMG_00000_BURST20200629203105021_COVER~2.jpg

Re: New project. Sachs Balboa.

File the points to get spark. Could be no compression since there's a compression release valve that's activated when you pull the clutch

I got to thinking about that today. If the decompression valve would affect that at all to where I wouldn't get compression when checking it like that. I plan to throw a bolt in there to see if I can plug it up and still get compression after. Was planning on filing and cleaning up the points tonight.

> Jacob Ohse Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I got to thinking about that today. If the decompression valve would

> affect that at all to where I wouldn't get compression when checking it

> like that. I plan to throw a bolt in there to see if I can plug it up

> and still get compression after. Was planning on filing and cleaning up

> the points tonight.

An easier way to check is to have someone pedal it and feel the exhaust, there should be some light air hitting your hand. I don't check for compression unless the bike absolutely won't start. I don't think it's worth fiddling with the decomp to check for compression. If it turns over you're good 9 times out of 10

You don’t often find a 505/C. Pretty nifty.

I just finished restoring a Balboa with the rare 1c . It needed a lot of work and was a project with my 16 year old grandson . It runs great now and does low 30s on flat ground . We don’t use the Decomp. You should get the Decomp issue resolved and get an accurate compression test . The cyl / head is one unit and easy to work on, ours had a piston with big hunks broken off the skirt. The carbs are finicky just clean it good and put the pieces back correctly. The clutch will probably need going over also.

Get a good repair manual take your time, They are very good bikes and that Balboa is one of the best looking out there.

The motor was stuck a bit. Did some work and managed to get it to get it moving and it seems to be free now with compression. I've been debating on doing a decompression delete but it all seems to be there and not smashed up. So we will see.

I put in a order through treats and hope to have new jets and stuff in soon so I'm going to see what one works the best. I plan on taking the carbs all apart and rebuilding it.

Cleaning the tank with vinegar and salt for the past few days. Seems to be working amazing and got a new petcock ordered for once it's clean. Will keep you guys posted. Looking for good sources on repair manuals.

If the bike is stock don't change the jet.

> Nick Haber Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> If the bike is stock don't change the jet.

Just got them to have on hand in case the current one is crap. Got a 52 and 58 which is stock to see which one I like better.

58 is tooo rich but it will be better

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account