Re: 1962 Ducati Piuma 48 Restoration

Dirty30 Dillon /

Honestly, you might be best off buying some spring steel stock and making a new one and then heat treating it

Jeremy Homser /

Looks similar to ones found in puch ms50 engines and in tomos a3's. Maybe they can cross over

Do you know the technical name for tomos or Puch springy thing?

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Honestly, you might be best off buying some spring steel stock and

> making a new one and then heat treating it

Mabye with all your knowledge you can make him one?

I found the exploded diagrams for those engines and they look similar.

I'll email the expert. Shawn at Myron's mopeds. He'll probably know the dimensions of the Puch and tomos ones off the top of his head.

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Satan 666 Wrote:

> > Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Honestly, you might be best off buying some spring steel stock and

>

> > making a new one and then heat treating it

>

> Mabye with all your knowledge you can make him one?

Sure, if baird wants to sent me the pieces, buy the plain stock, and pay for my time, I'd be happy to.

Given his posts on here, I would expect that he would prefer to find the correct piece or do the work himself given he's pretty resourceful.

I'm just gonna use a coat hanger and some JB weld. It's only mopeds.

Another piece of the puzzle. Original Aprilia taillight.

IMG_20200828_154116.jpg

Pushrod Fifty /

Sweet you found one.

Steven Bolduc /

I have a 65 Sparta that has that rear type coaster brake

Bizarre, isn't it? I ride coaster brake bikes all the time, but it's weird on a moped.

When I was starting it for the first time, I kept trying to freewheel back to set the pedals, and jamming on the brake.

I dig it though.

Got a tank coming from the UK, and a headlight lens coming from Italy, and then she'll be done. Mostly.

Good to hear you found a source for all the parts. You’re making this thing look gorgeous.

Coaster brakes are sweet on a moped if you like to be a cool cat that does skids when they stop. Like me. I would just be scared that they would fail at higher speeds than 30mph.

But I dont know as much on how they function over the typical drum brakes on mopeds. Which are used on bikes and cars so they can obviously stop when required.

Keep feeding us these rebuild gems poppa baird!

Mine has a coaster drum brake. Really weird set up. The cable runs to a lever on the pedal shaft that locks it when you pedal backwards.

I'll take a good pic in a few...

> baird co Wrote:

> Mine has a coaster drum brake. Really weird set up. The cable runs to a

> lever on the pedal shaft that locks it when you pedal backwards.

>

> I'll take a good pic in a few...

That sounds interesting .

Here's the rear brake set up

IMG_20200829_094554.jpg
IMG_20200829_094546.jpg

Just got the tank. Gotta strip it and paint it. Already have new decals, so it should be on this weekend.

Still waiting on a 95mm headlight lens from Italy, and I think that's it. Almost done!

IMG_20200925_131848~2.jpg

> baird co Wrote:

> Found out why the pedals don't work. Wonder how hard this stupid thing

> is gonna be to find

There are 2 different sizes of this part in the starter clutch of a 1981 Yamaha XV-920. Maybe one will match up. They are probably still available at the Yamaha shop. Coat hanger wire won't work.

yamaha-xv920-virago-1982-c-usa-starter-clutch_bigyau0868b-12_e015.jpg

That coaster style rear brake is weird. Especially that it is all done at the engine activating a cable and drum brake at the wheel.

I was joking about the coat hanger. I welded it back together. It's just a metal clip, so the "U" end on the bottom does l nothing but hold it in a slot, so I welded it all up. Works fine.

The way the brake works, in basic terms, which is still hard to describe, there's an arm on the pedal shaft connected to the brake cable.

It coasts in forward mode, but when pedaled backwards, a worm gear moves a, uh, gear...

Wait.

Two gears with teeth on then mesh together when you pedal....

Ok, try this...

It works like a drill chuck. When you pedal backwards, the pieces interlock which locks the pedal shaft to the brake arm.

When you pedal forward, the pieces move apart, unlocking the shaft, and the arm can coast on the shaft.

Something like that.

Finished painting the tank today. Letting it cure before I put the Ducati decals on it.

IMG_20201002_231609.jpg
IMG_20201002_231600.jpg

Pushrod Fifty /

Looks awesome.

Is this that tank that had to come from the UK? If so, how did you eventually get it?

Dave Pennell, a member here, is the guy from the UK who pulled it off.

He responded to my post about anyone in the UK that could help me out.

He picked up the tank from the guy that had it in North Wales and shipped it to me.

Thanks again Dave!

It all started with a post I put on the facebook Ducati lovers group, looking for a tank, and some other parts.

A guy named Garreth had the tank. He's held onto it for about 50 years, I think he found it in the trash at a swap meet way back then.

I paypalled him (twice, due to misunderstandings over the exchange rate) and then he had problems trying to figure out shipping, customs, and a host of minor inconveniences like not having a printer, and not being very tech-savvy, so he basically gave up and refunded my PayPal.

While I was trying to figure out how to have it picked up and paid for, Dave showed up on my post, lived close by, and picked it up and handled everything.

Garreth had already boxed it up, and did an amazing job. He packed it in a perfect size styrofoam container, like a meat packing box, then put it in another box and taped the crap out of it.

And it was finally on its way to me.

Amazingly, it all worked out.

The tank Papa posted previously woulda cost me about three times as much, but honestly, if I'm ever in this situation again, I'm just gonna pay more and not deal with all the extra hassle. But It does make a good story.

And Dave, if you ever come out to California, I'll let you ride the Ducati...

Just a few more things to do. Paint the rear swoosh to match the tank, hook up the power wires, and tune it.

IMG_20201003_124043.jpg
IMG_20201003_124017.jpg
IMG_20201003_124211.jpg

God, that red is just so smoothe looking.

Thanks. The tank has almost a half can of red Rust-Oleum and about 2/3 of a can of Rust-Oleum automotive clear coat.

I start out fogging the clear on till it's completely coated (which keeps it from orange peeling) and then lay down thicker and thicker coats till its almost dripping off.

Gotta find that fine line between having the runs or making it stick.

And keeping the goddamn bugs off it. Dunno why they love the clear so much.

There's also about 5-6 red painted wasps who got too close flying around my backyard now.

Today's project, cut out masking tape stencils for toolbox covers.

IMG_20201005_085201.jpg

Painted and attached

IMG_20201005_124130.jpg
IMG_20201005_124115.jpg

Original for comparison

ducati-piuma-48-cc-conservato_350302_2.jpg

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account