Re: 1962 Ducati Piuma 48 Restoration

Ya done good enough .

Looks fantastic , from my house . ;)

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

Wow, just wow. The tank story is great, always nice seeing people go the extra mile.

Steven Bolduc /

Nice work,!

Painted the back swoosh.

IMG_20201006_174906.jpg

The only thing left is the speedo. I have a really cool italian one, but the drive on the hub is backwards. Originally this bike used a Veglia speedo with the numbers on the bottom, and the needle going counter clockwise, and I can't find one like that. But I'll keep searching.

Everything works, rode it about 5 miles yesterday. Hand shifting sucks, but I've almost got that dialed in.

1st is good for about 15 feet, 2nd gets you to about 20, and third is pretty tall. I've hit maybe 35 and can feel there's a bit more, but haven't maxxed it out yet.

The Piuma Sport 50 that was exported to the USA boasts 50-55mph, but mine is the non-export, which claims 38. The sport has a bigger intake (they're cast into the cylinder) and a bigger carb. I found one on eBay italy, nos, for about 250. Not sure if I want to spend that. In pretty deep so far.

Anyway. It's pretty much done, and it runs good.

Here's a before and after if you don't want to go back and read the whole thread.

IMG_20201006_172827.jpg
IMG_20200703_082753.jpg

Great job on your restoration! Not many people would take one such a difficult job but you did and it looks perfect!

> Bas Autowas Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Great job on your restoration! Not many people would take one such a

> difficult job but you did and it looks perfect!

Yep! All his restorations are top notch. Always enjoy his posts

Thanks guys!

When I saw this popped up on craigslist, I knew I wanted it, and I knew what I was getting into with a full restore.

I love (re) building bikes like these. This one, a non export model, somehow made it to the US from Italy, and I wish I knew that story. Who, why, and how did it get here? Who knows...

And a bike like this, well, it's not like restoring a Puch Maxi where you can call up treats and order the entire bike brand new in pieces.

You gotta work for something like this.

And now I have, quite possibly, the only Ducati Piuma 48 in the states, and from what I've seen online, the best one (tooting my own horn, sorry...)

Keeping it looking original! I love it.

> baird co Wrote:

> And now I have, quite possibly, the only Ducati Piuma 48 in the states,

> and from what I've seen online, the best one (tooting my own horn,

> sorry...)

Fact is fact . By yourself or otherwise changes nothing . ;)

Matt Mahloch -- MBM Customs /

Nice job. I enjoyed the read

what is your process for cleaning, buffing, polishing the case? taking notes for my next engine refresh

If it's covered in inch thick hard grease and dirt, I use "gunk" degreaser (99¢ store has some off brand that works.)

Let that soak and scrub it off with a small wire brush (again, 99¢ store. They have some pretty soft ones in the auto section, 2 for 99)

If the aluminum is really corroded, I use the wire brush on the whole thing to get all the corrosion off.

Then it's wet sand with finer and finer grits, steel wool, and then a polishing wheel on the grinder.

That's if you want it mirror finish. If you just want it nice looking, after you get the grease and crap off, a green 3m pad and some steel wool will clean it up pretty good.

Wolf Wizard /

Ohhhhh I’ve been looking how to clean the hubs of wheels good. Are you worried at all that the evaporust ate the zinc plating??? I’d love to see some more photos of the hubs! (edited)

Really great build.

> Wolf Wizard Wrote:

> Ohhhhh I’ve been looking how to clean the hubs of wheels good. Are you

> worried at all that the evaporust ate the zinc plating??? I’d love to

> see some more photos of the hubs!

There's zinc plating ?

I have some zinc spray . It's 95% zinc when dried .

Here's some that is close to what I have :

https://www.antiseize.com/PDFs/td17045.pdf

Evaporust doesn't eat anything but rust. I've used it on painted stuff, brass, chrome, aluminum, etc.

My hubs are steel Grimeca. I didn't go all out on shining them, just cleaned them to a nice natural silver. They don't look like they were plated. (edited)

IMG_20201003_124011~2.jpg

Always top notch builds sir!

Dave Pennell /

No worries dude, glad to help, it looks spot on. Bike looks ace.

Yea one of these days might take ya up on the offer 👍

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account