Project fauxbra

Been wanting a top tank ever since I got into mopeds. Since I'm in the barren wasteland of no peds I decided I'd make my own.

Here's today's start, murray frame I picked up, cut out a piece of 1.5 inch dom tubing .95 wall tubing I had from bumper making to start it off.

Measured and notched the front to match the rake and roughed out the seat post notch with a hack saw, grinder was left at work so I'll haul it in monday and finish the notches and weld it up.

Super stoked on this project, have a crazy fast maxi with a ton of upgrades that will be going into this frame.

Gold, red, black will be the color scheme.

20200719_153807.jpg
20200719_171711.jpg

Re: Project fauxbra

Jeremy Homser /

Tomos ttlx seats look close to the stock cobra seat and might fit a bit better. Cool project looking forward to seeing it finished

> Jeremy Homser Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Tomos ttlx seats look close to the stock cobra seat and might fit a bit

> better. Cool project looking forward to seeing it finished

Yeah not digging that seat, need to find something closer. Thanks!

#showyourwork #cobracommander

Top tube notches finished and tube welded. Plug welded the old seat post holes. Next up is tank mounts and seat mount. Stay tuned!

20200720_101829.jpg
20200720_101838.jpg
20200720_101848.jpg

Emil Kniemel /

Should change decals to say Cauxbra

Edit: also check on this bike: http://garage.1977mopeds.com/build/Black+Cobra . looks like he mounted the seat lower and the angle of the crossbar resembles magnum frame. (edited)

Dirty30 Dillon /

I think the straight-through tube is gonna muck with your tank/seat lines

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> I think the straight-through tube is gonna muck with your tank/seat

> lines

Was playing with tank height and such yesterday and figured I can just adjust accordingly with mount heights depending on the angle I want to achieve.

Finally found a picture of a cobra frame without the tank on it and the tube is straight but maybe slightly more angled than mine. The magnums seem to have a bend around the seat post area.

Screenshot_20200719-214446_Samsung Internet.jpg

Emil Kniemel /

yeah the stock cobra tank position seems "high" IMO. it sits way above the top of the triple tree and too far from the headtube.

but to each his own.

Thinking I'm gonna run some maxi side covers and make some upper covers. Ordered a seat today so I'll wait until a have that before I nail down tank position and seat position.

20200720_191652.jpg

Looks like fun, you do realize that cobras are based on the pinto frame, closer to maxi sized. Right?

Maize built a really nice one a couple months ago, probably on 77 garage

Yeah, that's kinda why I picked a cobra to build. Already have a maxi that I dont really ever ride that has mlm swingarm, ebr front end, polini kit, mlm pipe, 5 star rims, and a ton of other stuff. Gonna rip all that off the maxi frame and stick it on this.

Dimensionally the frame looked to be the size of a cobra as well.

Wesley Ambrosini /

I don't know shit from shinola when it comes this stuff, but I like the tank-seat line. Low rise bars would be sick

Before you get too committed, throw some wheels on there and see how it looks with that high seat position.

I’d be worried about a big gap under the seat looking disproportionate once the rear wheel is in position. It looks great without the wheel. Just having a hard time picturing it without the wheel.

I ordered I different seat that should butt up against the back of the the tank and sit over the bar rather than on top of it. After the seat gets here I can figure out position and cut the tube down to the correct lenght.

Emil Kniemel /

> The Dude Wrote:

> I ordered I different seat that should butt up against the back of the

> the tank and sit over the bar rather than on top of it. After the seat

> gets here I can figure out position and cut the tube down to the correct

> lenght.

what seat did you order? post pic.

This one, had seen it done on a cobra on that dudes youtube channel mopedproblems as well and looked like a good fit against the tank.

Screenshot_20200721-121442_Samsung Internet.jpg

I think the tank may need to be raised up a bit? Mabye the front? When you get the seat you ordered you will be able to toss the seat on the tube as low as it can go then adjust the tank to fit it. I see people on here all the time that try and zip tie, wood dowel, foam with ductile, or some other ghetto ass way of making a top tank and it looks like shit. You have purchased a cobra tank and your welds look decent so I'm pretty sure you can make this shit look good. I will be here to make sure you do.

I've had a bit of experience building bikes. This is my long build bike that's gone through several iderations over the years. The lines make the bike, same as a car build. If the lines are off it'll look funky or halfassed.

20200721_212657.jpg

Still waiting on seat, but I weighed the frame vs a maxi frame.

Top tank 17 lbs

Maxi 13.5 lbs

That's without the tank on the frame as well so probably add another 3 pounds on the top tank. Also maxi frame was bare meaning no side bars or rack.

Not a huge difference but probably comes into play when full of gas, gas is 6 pounds per gallon so with the additional weight higher up is probably the big difference when people talk about a top tank being heavier.

I'm interested to see the difference between my maxi and this once it's done.

I went from a maxi to a magnum. Don’t care about weights or anything. I really like having the tank there for my legs to hold on to.

The way I ride a motorcycle, the tank is a control surface companion to the handlebars.

Top tanks are cool looking on mopeds, but they also give you a better connection. Worth many many pounds of weight IMO.

Sneak peek, also figuring out fenders. Hopefully seat will be here tomorrow.

20200726_142009.jpg
20200726_142702.jpg

LegLockerCam . /

Following

That whole top line should be down like 3 inches and delete the rack and fender

It looks like a camel 🐫 now.

And it would be super better to extend that swingarm a bunch like 8-10 inches and add swingarm gusset reinforcements and a second upper welded plate or tube so it won't wobble

But yeah nothing I say matters so (edited)

I love the high tank line.

Almost sport bike type line to my eye. I could see laying on that in a full tuck for max moped participation.

I agree to lose the fender. Cut the rack in a fender-like shape on the bottom so it just looks like one. Maybe brace it to the top tube.

Emil Kniemel /

> JBOT Admin Wrote:

> That whole top line should be down like 3 inches and delete the rack and

> fender

>

> It looks like a camel 🐫 now.

>

> And it would be super better to extend that swingarm a bunch like 8-10

> inches and add swingarm gusset reinforcements and a second upper welded

> plate or tube so it won't wobble

>

> But yeah nothing I say matters so

I agree with you if that matters <3 high tank has quasimoto vibes to me. i think a freespirit swingarm would also improve its looks.

look at this:

vs

Granted, everything is just sitting in place currently. Want it low, sleak, and mean.

maxresdefault.jpg

In case anyone is needing a seat this one fits perfect! Now time to make some mounts and cut down the spine a bit.

20200727_182532.jpg

we have a saying around our shop, or rather a repeatable observation that tomos top tank stuff looks better on basically anything besides a tomos

I dropped the tank and seat down some. I also think I would like it better when it's off the tall center stand. Just my opinion and a quick mockup.

moped-army-02ccc728f8302f4daa6e7d3332891af5.jpg

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

> we have a saying around our shop, or rather a repeatable observation

> that tomos top tank stuff looks better on basically anything besides a

> tomos

Yeah they kinda look like McDonald's happy meal styling. A bit too cheesey.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account