Moped for Long Distance Travel

Marion Robinson IV /

What's up family

I'm a traveling musician, and since the pandem has altered live shows, I want to downsize, and check off a bucket list thing at the same time.

I've been wanting to get into mopeds as a car replacement for years. I've tried the motorized bicycle route, a couple times and lived on a mountain bike. I have a $1200 Budget. This moped will act as a daily driver locally, and seasonally travel from MN to MO to raise awareness for homeless (as I've been there)

I need advice between these brands (although I'm open to other suggestions)

-TFR Kinetic

-Honda CT-90

-Sachs MadAss

Which would YOU choose and why?

Thanks in advance

SHNomad

Re: Moped for Long Distance Travel

Well the kenetic is the only moped listed in your choices. The ct90 is a solid bike and would treat you well. The madass is a neat bike, but a chinese clone engine which will break sooner than you want it to. The ct90 and madass have gearing which can make longer trips a little nicer on the engine. Honestly the honda will be the best bang for your buck out of those choices.

ALL of them are small displacement 2 stroke engines which all will require regular maintenance to ensure daily riding. Daily riding my moped meant weekly maintenance so I wasn't left on the side of the road. And if something seems like it is breaking you fix it that night so it isnt what breaks on your ride into work the next day.

Ct90 is the best bet if you need it start and drive everyday.

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Jay Rivett Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> ALL of them are small displacement 2 stroke engines

This is incorrect. Only the KInetic is a two-stroke, and if I am being honest it is the MOST unreliable choice.

The CT90 is not even a moped, but is far ahead of the rest of the choices in terms of long term reliability, given that the motor has been upkept/rebuilt.

The Madass is probably one of the worst designs, as-is, for long-distance travel. You will be very sad travelling between states.

No question . The Honda CT90 . Reliability .

Marion Robinson IV /

Thanks fam,

Are there any others that are worth mentioning. I've been leaning toward the honda too. I had an op a few years back to buy one and didnt.. Won't make that mistake this time

Jimmy Cincinnati /

yup ct90 is the best there. personally I would keep looking tho, something like a Riva 125 or other small Japanese brand scooter. I feel like q CB125 would be perfect for small bore long distance travel... regardless of what you buy just know your machine and be able to do some repairs as things break no matter what you choose to ride.

seriously avoid the TFR and madass due to both being produced as clone motors with inferior materials. I would ride either as local bikes but not on long trips.

Marion Robinson IV /

What are your thoughts on the smaller hondas ie, hobbit/pa-50

When I first started looking at 50cc bikes , my research pretty quickly eliminated all but the big 3 Japanese brands : Honda , Suzuki & Yamaha .

I chose a Suzuki FA50 and haven't regretted it for even a second over the last 10 years . I keep it very close to stock . It does 30 + MPH . It's reliable . And , I'm not very easy on it , either .

The only moped you listed is the kinetic. You'll need a motorcycle lisence for the other two, they did make a 50cc madass but I have only seen the 125's in the us... also, the madass used horrible quality Chinese clone engines. Some clones are great, like lifan made engines. But the madass was built by the lowest bidder. Junky

Hobbits are wonderfully reliable bikes, the only shortcoming is the carb in my opinion. Which isn't a big deal with a clean gas tank, they're just finicky when they aren't perfectly clean inside. But once the carb is clean they run forever..so non issue.

The Honda 90 is by far the most reliable you listed, but as we've said. Not a moped, it's a motorcycle. The horizontal Honda 4t engine is the most produced engine of all time. Over 20 million have been made. Very reliable

Just understand that whatever you go with, you will be the mechanic. And you will brake down.

Two stroke mopeds are infinitely less complicated to repair and work on tho.

If I was going for a reliable daily driving moped I'd look for a clean Puch maxi with an e50 engine. Stay away from ANYTHING french, Motobecane, peugeot....great bikes but higher maintenance.

If you don't care about performance parts availability, ie making the bike faster. anything with a Sachs 505 engine is great too. Super reliable as well.

But really, a beginner wanting any moped as a main source of transportation isn't a great idea... you will break down, You will get stranded, and if you don't understand the engineering of your bike and carry tools you'll be in trouble. (edited)

Also, with your budget you shouldn't have any problem finding a clean sorted bike. Don't spend that much money on a bike with problems. You'll certainly have problems down the line, doesn't make sense to pay for then now! Lol, just don't get talked into a bike that you'll need to build up to ride. You want a bike that runs great and everything works.

We lose alotta beginners that way, become overwhelmed and give up.

Semmm Stivenson /

Honda CT-90 is the best variant to use every day

Jimmy Cincinnati /

I like Hobbits, they are great bikes and can be reliable. there is just 1 main reason I would advise against it for a long haul bike and that is the carb placement. if you needed to clean the carb or jet it, it's quite involved getting to the carb.

I really think you could find a decent Japanese scooter that would serve you well. it would give you better take off and top speed compared to a cdi, likely better storage space, and would have a CDI igniton thus eliminating the need to clean / adjust points. I'd consider like a zuma, razz, aero, elite, etc... just my advice. if riding over wrenching is your goal stay away from true mopeds and stick with a Japanese scooter.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

I second Jimmys advice.

Genuine Buddy and kymco also make quality built scooters. You can generally find great deals on lightly used ones.

> Jimmy Cincinnati Wrote:

> I like Hobbits, they are great bikes and can be reliable. there is just

> 1 main reason I would advise against it for a long haul bike and that is

> the carb placement. if you needed to clean the carb or jet it, it's

> quite involved getting to the carb.

>

> I really think you could find a decent Japanese scooter that would serve

> you well. it would give you better take off and top speed compared to a

> cdi, likely better storage space, and would have a CDI igniton thus

> eliminating the need to clean / adjust points. I'd consider like a zuma,

> razz, aero, elite, etc... just my advice. if riding over wrenching is

> your goal stay away from true mopeds and stick with a Japanese scooter. (edited)

Overpriced Parts /

> Semmm Stivenson Wrote:

> Honda CT-90 is the best variant to use every day

Yeah that would be my choice too but good luck finding a nice lo mi one for 1,200$ and it’s not a moped,

I have great service life and go long distances with my Puch and tomos mopeds but that’s my hobby and I do maintenance and service when I’m supposed to and can tell most times before somethings going to fail and fix it,

I’m kinda against China scooters because when they break most shops avoid them whereas you shouldn’t have a problem having a motorcycle shop to work on a Honda,

If you’re going to go with the Honda 90 motorcycle not just get Something bigger like a 175-400cc Japanese motorcycle like 175 Honda to a kaw 400 that could be taken on a freeway for a few exits which for the price of a clean Honda 90 you can get a nice 4-500 cc kaw, Yamaha or Suzuki

CT-90 1000%

Jeremy Homser /

I have a 66 CT90 and it is a great bike! It even has a gun rack on the fork

Jimmy Cincinnati /

if you could find a good deal on a Honda Cub that might be your best route.

Marion Robinson IV /

Fam, Thanks

A man has to know his his limits.. I know how to fix bikes. But motorized anything (outside of the 4 stroke 50cc bike I built) are new to me

While I will eventually get my motorcycle license. I do want a limited reg vehicle with a motor. Even if I have to live within it's limits..

But this what happens

The cost of a Yamaha Zuma (which seems to be the next best thing) is so close to a Honda Grom.. Which is so close to a Yamaha TW200, which is even closer to a Kawasaki KLR/KLX.. They're all within 500-700 of each other.

I want something cheap that I essentially ride the bleep out of until it dies.. If the bug bites me during that time. I'll repair or replace

Well in that case. Puch maxi, Honda PA50II(hobbit), Vespa bravo or grande, or any Italian bike with a minerelli v1 engine would suit you well. Simple, pretty reliable, easy to work on.

Hell, you should be able to find a nice one for a little over half your budget. Remember alotta manufacturers just made engines. So you can get a v1, or a Sachs on a general, a Puch e50 on a jcpenny. It's really the engine that defines the bike, whereas the frame and Vin could be from any number of manufacturers.

Make a post in buy/sell forum looking for a sorted unmolested bike. Or one with a few tasteful mods. I wouldn't rule out a bike with an expansion chamber exhaust for example. Just don't buy a modded out moped for your first bike.

Check out a guy on youtube called "C90 Adventures".

He has some great travel videos doing cross country trips on a Honda C90, Not quite the same as a CT90 but similar.

Homeboy Rus

1982 and later Honda C90 Passports are great because they are 12v and CDI. The CT Trail bikes are cool but not as functional transport as the C90. I have a 69 Honda C70 that's a classic - but its an old bike and comes with quirks.

You'll find a lot more reliability and affordability per mphs with the modern stuff and scooters or real motorcycles in general. Somebody is getting rid of a Zuma that they never ride or cant get started because its been sitting. Zuma is good, but some Honda Elites have pop up headlights. There are more storage options with scooters which sounds like something you'll need.

I once had a 2002 or so 50cc Derbi Manhattan that had the Piaggio engine, when I got it for $250 it didn't run, but there was oil in injector reservoir, it had spark and compression, - seemed like a carb problem battery. I got it running and it went 25mphs. I put a Tecnigas Next R Pipe and tuned the carb, and it was instant 45mph grocery getter.

derek from black pipes moped gang 🌧 /

The clear choice is puch maxi with an e50. The dudes from cotl rode from CA to the southern tip of South America, remember?

Moped to South America

Jimmy Cincinnati /

I still want that video to come out!!! who has the long lost film? what's a dude gotta do to get that stuff released?

A plane would be the best choice for long distance travel.

If it's a license problem, and you don't want to get your m-class for some reason (it's super easy, just get it!)

You can still ride most 50cc scooters in most areas, the Zuma is obviously the big name brand in but kymco, tgb, as well as a bunch of lesser known European brands are all maybe easier to find and cheaper. The early 90s Honda and Yamaha models are still very serviceable, easy to work on, and well built.

Dan (high idle) Conway /

If youre hardcore enough you can daily drive a rebuilt 70cc e50 puch maxi if you take backroads without highway speeds, this includes sealed wheel bearings, all new rubbers and cables, reliable lighting and a parts base larger than most other moped brands. These bikes simply need more maintenance than a car especially when pushed harder. It is doable though and I haven't driven my subaru in 2 weeks because the weather has been so nice.

puchriverside.jpg

(PS i still hold my respectable opinion of the boss pipe. with a high grabbing clutch and the right spring/ fluid combination it accelerates really nicely. yes ive tried estorils i have one on my tomos, but the boss hits hard in the real high rpms where local cruising speed is.

passport.jpg

Not a moped but honestly there is a reason why the Honda Cub 50 and it's successor the Passport 70 were and are the most produced 2 wheel vehicle in history. They are rock reliable, and can cruise at 40 all day effortlessly. If I wanted something small that I could put miles and miles and miles on without issue, this is the smart choice.

I got my first tomos a35 in may 2018 put 10.000 Miles on it since and never broke down. Was getting bored with it due to power. Decided to throw on 64cc airsol and now it's like The first week I got it renewed the fun for me I'm glad I kept interest.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account