Getting a puch korado into the states

My father bought a puch korado brand new from a dealer in Poprad, Slovakia and drove it home on their beat up "highways" back in the 90s. Every year when I go to visit I dig this moped out of the garage, give it a cleaning and I rip it for the entire time I'm there then it goes back into the garage. I absolutely love this moped and I want to finally have it with me in the US. How would I go about getting this thing into the states? People have suggested just taking it apart and putting it in a suitcase but I'm worried about customs/airport security seizing it and that's the last thing that I want to have happen. Anyone done this before?

Re: Getting a puch korado into the states

You could just buy one here. I believe they were Imported.

But if you want that one you'll have to pack it In a crate and ship it.

As long as all fluids are drained it should not be an issue. You might send an email to dos cycles about importing, they might be able to help.

I would be as straight forward about the procedure as possible .

It's when you start hiding or try to pull a fast one that your troubles multiply .

Two or 3 boxes. One box for the frame/wheels/forks (break up into 2 boxes if you have to) and one box for the motor with all fluids drained.

Does anyone know the legal end of doing this? I doubt I can just pack it up and ship it.

Dirty30 Dillon /

You can literally just buy them in the states. They are especially available on the East Coast.

Terbo Speghetti /

Getting it here and making it legal here are two separate problems, the way I see it.

If you drain every drop of fluid, then dry it all out, you can ship it in pieces or take parts in your luggage, or some combination of the two.

Once it's in the states, you don't have to worry much about legality, because they sold them here. Just make sure you get a new vin tag or something. It's not like they're gonna find out it was stolen or something.

Steve,

It's just a moped. Not gonna get the bracelets slapped on you for bringing a Korado over international borders.

I am very well aware that I could buy one in the states but the one I have is in very good condition because I only use it briefly over the summer and it has lots of sentimental value to me. And I know I won't get arrested or thrown in jail, but the less legal trouble I have to deal with, the better. I just dont want it to get stuck somewhere or customs inspects it and says I need some BS paperwork or who knows what. Thanks for all the advise, I think I'm going to take it apart next summer and ship it over, and possibly take parts with me in my suitcase.

As long as everything isn’t assembled and it’s in several different boxes it’s no issue at all. It’s all “just parts”.

Plus, find out how much per kg for extra luggage on the plane, compared to shipping in boxes. Boxes are usually by size and weight and excess baggage is usually just weight. Get a big enough suitcase and put the frame in it. Pack light with your clothes and save some allowance for bike bits.

F26DFD89-163B-4D51-8025-D295A33158F1.gif
« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account