Any love for gopeds?

Dan (high idle) Conway /

with a one letter difference from moped, you have to bring it up from time to time...

Just picked up a goped super bigfoot, last owner dumped a bunch of money into performance parts. Gonna try to get it going next week and take it down some trails in upstate NY.

Gopeds are made in california and have been around for atleast 25 years. you can drop the 22-32CC engine and split the cases in like 20 mins. Spindle drive to the rear wheel. really high rpm small displacement cylinders making around 3.5 hp with the 32cc zenoah g320rc. same engine used on RC cars and planes.

theyre generally overpriced for how simple they are, but the frame is really heavy duty and compact. still deals to be found if you wanna have a little different 2 stroke fun.

lets see some California Gopeds!

Re: Any love for gopeds?

Tweaker trash /

Fuck yea

I like them for their portability. I keep one in the trunk of the car so I can ride anytime

I used to have one a long time ago. Jerk room mate kept skidding the tire and blew it out. At the time it was impossible to find a replacement so i have no idea what happen to the thing... would be fun to get another one tho.

I've had this goped since I was 11 years old. Got it for Christmas in 1999 It's not a California but non the less a goped. My mosquito, 40cc, chain drive with a centrifugal clutch does 27mph all stock, never split the cases, dead reliable. (edited)

IMG_20200726_202406010.jpg

The owners grand kid had one at one of the parks we use to camp at .

Fool kid would ride around the park continuously , until it wouldn't go anymore .

I could have fixed it for him , but , the peace was much more appealing . ;)

Back in the 90's the local skateshop tried selling the first generation ones. They bought the hop up kit and since I was the only guy who knew anything about motors, gave it to me to install it.

Thing did like 45mph with the little hard rubber tires. I beat the shit out of it, wore the tires almost to the rims, and when they asked for it back, I got pulled over and the cops impounded it on the way to the shop.

There's guys that race them on kart tracks. They were racing with us at our motorized bicycles races, and I had to make sure I was stocked up on ear plugs. You think mopeds with no silencers are loud, wait till you get around 40 gopeds constantly revving their little motors.

off topic

I had one, Iput a HUGE 12" frontend from a 250cc Chinese scooter. it was really funny. I was riding it one day and the rear wheel just flew off down the road, I left it, hopped on a friend's bike, and never looked back

Jbot used to do some pretty nuts ones iirc

In theory these are cool, in reality, not so much. Just because you can, does not mean you should. Had one, got it at a garage sale, 50cc, no name model, 30 mph, tested alongside a car, scared the crap out of me, sold it for $50.00 to the first kid that asked me about it, walked home, never felt safer! :)

MICHAEL FRENCH /

I dont have any pictures of it but I had a few back in the early 2000s, most fun I had was with a gsr sport (small hard tires but with a clutch and chain drive) i swapped the stock economy engine it came with for a 46cc piped animal. Also had a gsr sport with a Honda gx35 on it, that thing was faster than the stock engine but not by much, but it was frigen QUIET and smooth

Dan (high idle) Conway /

> P D Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> The owners grand kid had one at one of the parks we use to camp at .

>

> Fool kid would ride around the park continuously , until it wouldn't go

> anymore .

>

> I could have fixed it for him , but , the peace was much more appealing

> . ;)

This is gold

Dan (high idle) Conway /

These are some great stories, and yeah Stephen, i can see how a 50cc one would be WAY too fast for safety.

Just got a Zenoah G320RC engine coming in the mail (Largest standard RC series engine at 32ccs) The bike came with the "Sikk expansion" pipe with centerbleed lol... i got a silencer for it.

The engine i got with it was a chung yang which is a Zenoah (Japan) copy. lots of these gopeds come stock with smaller zenoah rc engines from 22cc to 32cc. The chung yang has QUITE A BIT TOO MUCH end play on the crank to wanna use with a bike with new tires, a new clutch etc

I plan on avoiding on road use at all costs on this little folding scooter, if i ever took it on the road I would attach a moped plate. With all the noise I make, I always follow the rules and the cops haven't bothered me at all yet

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> In theory these are cool, in reality, not so much. Just because you can,

> does not mean you should. Had one, got it at a garage sale, 50cc, no

> name model, 30 mph, tested alongside a car, scared the crap out of me,

> sold it for $50.00 to the first kid that asked me about it, walked home,

> never felt safer! :)

Same thing happened to me. Buddy had a 50cc one I got from him. Got it running and thing hauled ass. Was afraid for my life over every crack in the road. Rode it one time and sold it.

Dan (high idle) Conway /

The sport with the thick razor scooter wheels is horrifying. the bigfoot holds a standing chance against bumps because of the fat pneumatic tires.

I had a couple of two cycle ones.

Very fun.

MICHAEL FRENCH /

> Dan (high idle) Conway Wrote:

> The sport with the thick razor scooter wheels is horrifying. the bigfoot

> holds a standing chance against bumps because of the fat pneumatic

> tires.

Now imagine 52 mph on those tires. Granted that was before a bad bike wreck. Things like that scare me after meeting the surface of the earth at about 70mph

Dan (high idle) Conway /

> MICHAEL FRENCH Wrote:

> > Dan (high idle) Conway Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > The sport with the thick razor scooter wheels is horrifying. the

> bigfoot

>

> > holds a standing chance against bumps because of the fat pneumatic

>

> > tires.

>

> Now imagine 52 mph on those tires. Granted that was before a bad bike

> wreck. Things like that scare me after meeting the surface of the earth

> at about 70mph

im gonna try not to picture that. I have no need to make this go any faster than like 35 MAX even with a front disk brake and pneumatic tires

The one I had was big tires and discs. Still terrifying

When I see someone riding one of those, which is rare, I say a little prayer for them.

Dangerous as a cocked gun.

MICHAEL FRENCH /

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> When I see someone riding one of those, which is rare, I say a little

> prayer for them.

>

> Dangerous as a cocked gun.

In stock form I never had a safety concern

With them, the safety concerns starts when dummies like me start putting 4 hp engines on them in place of a 1.2 hp engine, then having that ported and so on. As my dad always said more money than brains.

Smart Dad...........you should listen to him.

They are great and I used to see them buzzing a round here and the surrounding towns. I guess the majority of the people riding them did so in an jerk ass fashion and people complained so much that the local municipally banned them and you don't see them anymore.

About once a year there is a local rally of the things that swoop the local towns in packs of 60 or so thumbing their noses. It is really cool to watch. The few times I have seen this happen I have always been in a car so never followed.

I owned one that was given to me and after fixing it up I realized that I no longer had the good reflexes to safely maneuver the contraption and actually got 125.00 for the dad blasted smelly conniption .

no groms no blasters /

if you come to a rally on one and keep up, you will be our king

Dan (high idle) Conway /

> no groms no blasters Wrote:

> if you come to a rally on one and keep up, you will be our king

they don’t seem too hard to make go fast (stock 32cc is already 3.5 hp) all you really need is a big old pipe and some larger spindles it seems.

Although it’s good to be the king... i’d like to keep my teeth for at least a couple more years.

Even though these aren’t technically illegal in massachusetts “if operated under 20mph” I would imagine if I was a cop with nothing to do in a rural new england town, i’d be stopping the leaf blower powered unregistered no vin kick scooter every chance I get.

Good thing the woods and trails are a thing.

> no groms no blasters Wrote:

> if you come to a rally on one and keep up, you will be our king

Be careful what you wish for. Some of the guys at the races are pushing 50mph

> baird co Wrote:

> > no groms no blasters Wrote:

>

>

> > if you come to a rally on one and keep up, you will be our king

>

> Be careful what you wish for. Some of the guys at the races are pushing

> 50mph

Fthat ,haha

MICHAEL FRENCH /

> baird co Wrote:

> > no groms no blasters Wrote:

>

>

> > if you come to a rally on one and keep up, you will be our king

>

> Be careful what you wish for. Some of the guys at the races are pushing

> 50mph

I had one that did 52 on a GPS, pretty much the ONLY time I would open it up w was when drinking, it was still scary after a few balls in a can (edited)

Bought one once from a guy who never wanted to see it again. I think he wiped out and just wanted it out of his life. He wouldn’t even handle the it. Had his son do the transaction.

So I modified it. It was. 2-cycle one and I put a new intake and a pipe.

It was quick and fun. . . till I wiped out.

Hit a patch of sand and skated into oblivion.

It was fun. Then it wasn’t.

Dan (high idle) Conway /

Actually decided to sell the “sikk torque” pipe and get a quieter, low end power heavy “stalker” pipe.

Excited to cruise down some trails in the area.

This thread haunts me, there is one of these things against a post at the Mexican restaurant up the block from me, been there 2 days, what does it say when no one even steals these? (no lock) ;D Have half a mind to ask the Owner of the place if it belongs to an employee and if it is for sale, or just left there....but I need only half a mind to attempt to ride another....great machines if you are 16 and fearless, not so much for my ancient self who still thinks he is 16....

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account