Old Polini cup Creature race bike

Lil MotoGuzzi Vert /
DSC03231.JPG

Hey. Not sure what made me think of this after like 10 years but back in the original Polini cup days, Creatures (and 1977?) had a Puch with a variator on it. They kept the details secret at the time cause of racing, etc... but now a decade later, I'm curious how it was done. I think I remember reading something that said that they used a Puch crank from a diff bike?

That pic is the correct race but might be the wrong bike... I didn't get a great pic I can be sure is it... and couldn't find the thread on here.

Re: Old Polini cup Creature race bike

todd amundson /

Upside down E50 with a Peugeot crank. Peugeot frame too I think

Version 1 was e50 cases, the clutch bearing burned out on it. version 2 was tomos cases. Everything was Peugeot stuff bolted on though all pug, Derbi, moby and hobbit cranks all can go into puch cases pretty easy actually.

derek from black pipes moped gang 🌧 /

didn't they cut the transmission part of the e50 off? essentially making it just the crankcase portion of the e50 just like how a pug engine is? it's been a while, I'm also curious how they did it.

Lil MotoGuzzi Vert /

> todd amundson Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Upside down E50 with a Peugeot crank. Peugeot frame too I think

Nope. Wasn’t this like 8 years before you got into mopeds? (edited)

That orange 77 bike in this video is geared way too tall. I actually think I own that bike now without any of the cool fairings. It had like a 38t rear sprocket on it when I got it. Probably went 65 eventually but man it was so slow. Fucking 1977 goons can’t do shit right it was a total bummer of a bike, but it was only $500 so I can’t complain.

70291852-ED44-4DAF-A115-685C609EA2A4.jpeg

(edited)

Lil MotoGuzzi Vert /

What happened to the white one?

Daniel came in with the heat. Lulz.

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

Creature secrets are scattered to the winds like sands through the hourglass⏳

To taste capp street is to be one with speed

todd amundson /

Daniel does the white bike have an upside down E50 on a Peugeot frame with a Peugeot crankshaft? I thought my statement was correct and I think your post backs up my comment but I wanna make sure. Even though the builds before my time I can’t stand Max’s know it all attitude. If he built the bike then cool but what’s with his smart ass crap?

Lil MotoGuzzi Vert /

Todd, I think responding about a bike almost a decade before you were around is the know-it-all part. Me saying ‘not interested in hearing from you’ does not qualify as “know it all”... now please go on another rage fueled rant where you start talking about race...

Yea upside down e50, with a Peugeot cdi crank on a 103 frame. This one didn’t even see the more than a couple laps though, the var side crank bearing, even with the seal on the outside, didn’t get enough oil and seized up. IIRC they used some revival cases with the larger transfers for version 2, but it blew up in one race and is probably long gone at this point. (edited)

Lil MotoGuzzi Vert /

ya I think second version is the race I saw. It made a very unique engine sound as I remember.

I remember this bike being called Cocaine Fury back in the day. You know, when 77 was wholesome.

Let me set you guys straight I was there and talked to Elliot, Lee and Joey about the set up plenty of times. It did NOT have a Peugeot crankshaft it had a new style e50 crank (the one without the larger seal diameter). They were using a mbk variator jammed on there, The tapers didn't match. The way they held it on was by threading the inside of the crank where the pin from the start clutch plate goes. It was just held on with a 6mm Allen screw. There was one race where that thing was actually working and it was pretty fast. Good times... (edited)

The one with the puch crank is the version I remember seeing at Polini cup. Glad I did remember that correctly.

Oh man this is a blast from the past!

I remember being really stoked about this, then having people tell me it ran like shit. Couldn't have been too bad since it obviously saw some use.

> Nathan Kiehn Wrote:

> Let me set you guys straight I was there and talked to Elliot, Lee and

> Joey about the set up plenty of times. It did NOT have a Peugeot

> crankshaft it had a new style e50 crank (the one without the larger seal

> diameter). They were using a mbk variator jammed on there, The tapers

> didn't match. The way they held it on was by threading the inside of

> the crank where the pin from the start clutch plate goes. It was just

> held on with a 6mm Allen screw. There was one race where that thing was

> actually working and it was pretty fast. Good times...

At the time I was so impressed. Cool to know it was a fully janky pile of garbage ha

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

That reminds me I have the Paz tuning bible

20200803_115812.jpg

Maitland you should share that

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

I need a scanner

no groms no blasters /

I don't remember why this was seen as such a big advantage over using an engine made for CVT

because it's dumb and unnecessarily difficult and that's awesome

no groms no blasters /

YES

that is the true spirit

derek from black pipes moped gang 🌧 /

> no groms no blasters Wrote:

> I don't remember why this was seen as such a big advantage over using an

> engine made for CVT

if I remember correctly I believe they were racing in an e50 only class. It was more of a clever work around than a viable mod for e50 bikes

Lil MotoGuzzi Vert /

Could someone today make this work in a semi-long term way? Maybe some part to keep oil at the seal/ bearing?

> 🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin Wrote:

> I need a scanner

You dont have a cell phone? Scanning apps are a plenty.

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

Bruh I ain't scanning 500+ pages with a phone

This is a Bible not a pizza menu

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account