help me decide if i should grab this or not...

well, im in kinda a delema.

this guy has a 1983 Suzuki fz50 for sale, hes about 10 minutes away and ive been thinking of picking it up, he originally wanted 800$ for it but i offered 300$ and he took it. has a slight crack where the kick start meets the case, i could repair it with my torch with minimal effort. he had it "tuned up" a month ago, (new tires, battery, and stuff like that)

titled and with current tabs

not sure if it would be worth it? what do you guys think?

00h0h_hAELgcu8h5x_0Br0t2_600x450.jpg
01010_1VRb2zGZQ5r_0CI0qw_600x450.jpg
00d0d_9X5U4vDRuQO_0lM0t2_600x450.jpg

Re: help me decide if i should grab this or not...

Totally worth the price of 300. The repair might not be as easy as you think but worth a shot. I have 2 that I’m currently working on.

Re: help me decide if i should grab this or not...

Yea that's my main concern. Though i do have a oxy-mappro torch i could try it with some filler and flux and see if i could make it work. Looks like he put some money into taking care of it.

Re: help me decide if i should grab this or not...

I would do it, that bike has been for sale off and on for a while, the new parts alone are worth it. Maybe even a cold weld, not familiar with these but if it is not sealing compression, may well work, if I had room would have been all over this.

Re: help me decide if i should grab this or not...

I would pay $300 for that all day

Re: help me decide if i should grab this or not...

Well, im going to take a look at this thing tommrrow, if it looks great itll have a new owner!

Re: help me decide if i should grab this or not...

Should be able to find a replacement cover just might take a while. If not I’ll be interested in buying parts but it be a shame to part it out since it’s mostly complete

Re: help me decide if i should grab this or not...

Dave Thacker /

If you offer a figure and the guy says yes, you are on you honor to go get it.

Re: help me decide if i should grab this or not...

Ha I offered him $200 and he did not take it. Would have done $300 EASY. GOOD ONE GET IT.

Re: help me decide if i should grab this or not...

If you get it and decide you don't want it, hit me up, have van, will hoard! :) I wish I would have known he would have taken so little, that is a rare machine. Maybe try sportwheels for parts, they have all sorts of odd old stuff...

Re: help me decide if i should grab this or not...

Sounds good guys! Ill most certainly try my best to NOT make it a parts machine πŸ˜†

My end goal is to fix that and have it running and driving

Re: help me decide if i should grab this or not...

I was talking with this guy and told him how I would repair it... Make a jig to indicate the location and height of the bore. take all measurements. Remove all the metal making the area as flat as possible. Again a jig and a Dremel. Make an aluminum bushing to fit the new location with enough meat to weld easily in place. Use the jig to locate it for welding. Weld it and assemble and done. Pretty straight forward and easy to do.

Re: help me decide if i should grab this or not...

Yea, i gave him a few ideas as well, but i could tell he wants it gone.

I was thinking i could get my buddy to mill out a spacer that would fit around the cracked area, and then i could just braze it on and call it a day

Re: help me decide if i should grab this or not...

As I sit here I kind of wished I had offered more than the $200.

it does look like it is in good shape and lots of new parts. As long as you get it fixed for cheap you will have a nice bike.

So bummed I did not push harder on it. LOL!

Re: help me decide if i should grab this or not...

Yeah, well, who knows. The engine could have a mortor sized hole in it for all i know πŸ˜†

Re: help me decide if i should grab this or not...

I think you are getting a good deal. The guy said he invested a lot into the bike only to see this problem.

I think you will be very happy with it. Just make a good solid repair and you will have a great little bike.

Re: help me decide if i should grab this or not...

Yup. But words are words...

Hopefully it doesn't have more issues than that big one, as someone said, its been for sale on and off for sometime.

Re: help me decide if i should grab this or not...

Well let's hope he was honest.

I would love to know if it is a deal or not and if you get it fixed. So keep us in the loop!

Re: help me decide if i should grab this or not...

Will do, ill keep updating this thread if i purchase it, if not. Well my jawa thysister is about a week away ;)

Re: help me decide if i should grab this or not...

if you don't pm me I will buy for $300.00

Re: help me decide if i should grab this or not...

Sounds good, ill update the thread either way.

Re: help me decide if i should grab this or not...

Guess what i brought back with me ;)

He ignition was changed at some point so the helment lock and the steering lock dont work. But, for 300$ im not complaining.

Looks a lot better in person than in the pictures.

Overall, definitely a keeper!

20200802_150023.jpg

Re: help me decide if i should grab this or not...

^ Awesome, glad you got it...wish I would have made that offer, but happy for you! :)

Re: help me decide if i should grab this or not...

Yup, but we now have a new problem, the kick start wont engage at all!

Looks like his "mechanic" left a few surprises floating around in the case. Now to figure out where they go too πŸ€”

20200802_154958.jpg

Re: help me decide if i should grab this or not...

Ahhh, fun....the mystery parts...lol, should be able to track down a service manual on-line?

Re: help me decide if i should grab this or not...

I ended up finding the diagram on a OEM part site πŸ˜†

I think the reason it had a crack was becuase he had hired a teenager to work on it, (which i should have saw coming) he must of assembled the parts wrong, sent it on the kick start, and a crack had formed.

Ended up driving it around the park for a good while, with new oil. Runs great, i think the engine is near the end if its life since it tops out at a mear 28mph.

Also, all eletrical works except the headlight, tested the bulb, it's fine, im guessing he hacked up the wiring to get it to work, since there is anfew mystery wires that have been spliced

Re: help me decide if i should grab this or not...

Cool that you got to ride it, 28 was about it for the Fa-50, no idea what the top speed of this model is, but might just be right.

Re: help me decide if i should grab this or not...

Don't be so fast to think little of that bike or it's motor . It's one of the best built you'll find .

Read : https://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Suzuki_FZ50 .

Suzuki motors are some of the most robust .

I beat my FA50 for the last 11 years and it keeps on starting , first kick and takes me down the road at 30+ . It's very close to a completely stock machine .

Re: help me decide if i should grab this or not...

I think its about 35ish but thats with a 145lb 5ft 5 rider. Im sure being 180lbs and 6ft 3" doesn't help lol

Re: help me decide if i should grab this or not...

> mark voznyuk Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I think its about 35ish but thats with a 145lb 5ft 5 rider. Im sure

> being 180lbs and 6ft 3" doesn't help lol

About 30 for the FZ as well as the FA .

I'm 185 last I checked and 6 foot .

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account