Re: help me decide if i should grab this or not...

Suzuki engines are very good, I have a 50cc oil injected Suzuki clone engine in my Hyosung scooter, and it RIPS, 40 mph with my 215 lbs...the smaller older bikes were restricted by the factory, Honda too, to meet moped laws in the '70's check your exhaust for being clogged, the exhaust port too, old oil did not burn clean and left lots of carbon behind, check air filter too.

Ill probably let it run for a few days and see if it improves, as its been sitting for a few months according to the previous owner.

Me guess is that after a day or 2, it should improve some

It's been sitting longer than that, watched this bike on cl for a while, but yeah let it run, but a good de-coking of the exhaust and port really helps if they are gummed up. Glad it's riding!

Being as an unknown last messed with the bike , I'd go through the manual and find the exact factory settings for the carb and adjust . Definitely clean the exhaust with oven cleaner or even drain opener .

Alright will do, ill have to fix the light soon as well since i would like to ride at night once in a while.

Anyone want to open up there light housing and post a few pictures?

28 is a good speed for your size and weight. Plenty of parts to make it faster. I would tig weld it but I'm a welder so. Dos has a pipe pretty cheap and search around for a zeta cylinder you'll hit 40+ no problem.

moped-army-d08e2fc2402bfb7966c1ae8b021b5c87.jpg

fucking raddddd

Hmmm, well this cant be good.

Changed the transmission oil today. Had some fine metal partials. Went on a 50mile ride and well, drained the oil again and now its finer, but still there.

Time to see whats rubbing.

15964894124185769738675645595888.jpg
15964894437391835557697782769606.jpg

I hope you get this sorted out. Cosmetically it is nice. For me it is easier to fix a nice bike than restore a good runner.

Still bummed I did not offer more.

Yea, im pretty sure I got it figured out, the spring for the inner kickstart engagement was too big and was hitting the clutch causing shavings, i put a smaller spring in there and did a 25 mile ride, seems to be a lot better, still a few shavings but im assuming thats the stuff i couldn't get out with brake cleaner. ill flush it out a few more times and we should be good to go! (edited)

I am sure you said earlier that you have a parts diagram? If not here you go.

https://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-fz50-1983-d-usa-e03_model34138/partslist/#.Xyimty2z3kI

Alright, looks like it was the oversized spring After all. After 2 flushes the oil is looking like new!

Here's what it looks like after 10-15 miles or so. (edited)

20200803_202240.jpg

Nice, poor bike will not know how to act so clean inside!

Yup, im glad i caught it early. This thing has had some screw ups on it (cant really blame the guy atleast he tried) but, everything seems to be going to plan, hopefully this will last me quite a while before i end up selling it.

I did clean out the inside a few times with brake clean, looks like i got 99% of it out of there. Ill check on it after a few more miles. (edited)

It should last as long as you take care of it, thanks for straightening the blinker, that was making my ocd crazy! :)

yup, it was also wired wrong, so whenever id signal left, the front would go light the left one, the rear would light the right. had to fix that one haha

well, i have to say this, shes off with a new owner.

but hes a forum member so it wasn't a complete loss!

hope the guy enjoys it. ill be sticking working on my jawa from now on.

Bummer! But I hope you made a small profit! LOL!

Yea, fun fun bike. But, im more of the on "its last legs" kinda moped guy 😆

Steven Bolduc /

Yes there fun being a 2 speed , I restored one about ,5 years ago. Steven

20190526_140611.jpg

Man, i missed this thing so much i bought another one!

This one is more my style, 1979. Cheapo spray paint, cracked plastics. Yea!! Now i won't feel bad driving it places that mopeds arnt supposed to go.

20200805_211151.jpg

I also grabbed an FZ50 recently, impressed with mine so far. Learning a lot , especially as I search for sources of parts—hit me up and will share/trade/help and appreciate the same. Love my true mopeds, but this little noped is cool too!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account