External indicators of Puch horsepower?

Joseph Ferguson /

I'm going to check out a Puch Maxi tomorrow (this will be my first moped), and I'm wondering if anyone knows of any external indicators of the moped's horsepower. I know that one can determine horsepower by looking at the intake, thickness of the head gasket, etc., but I figure I shouldn't rely on the possibility of the current owner letting me take the engine apart in order to determine horsepower. I'd be happy with it if it's a 1.5 or 2, but it seems like improving the speed of a 1 horsepower engine is a much more involved a process (though do correct me if I'm wrong).

Re: External indicators of Puch horsepower?

Overpriced Parts /

If it has the stock exhaust on it look at the number, count the teeth on front sprocket too.

349411E6-1A2F-434D-A6C7-D4A306BEEB6C.jpeg
29C3BF54-6F4D-4F3C-A2F1-91AD0CFE688B.jpeg

Most 1hp has 13t front engine sprocket and 1.5 many times is 15 tooth, 16 tooth is 2hp on e50, za50 has 18x40 gears on 1.5 and 2hp, 1hp has 13 tooth front sprocket same as 1hp E50s;

If it has 1.5 HP well that’s OK too because you could make the pipe work but if it’s a one HP you got a change the cylinder and if it’s a two speed za50 you have to change the gears and clutch bell inside the engine or grind the a case to put a 21t sprocket on the front then put a 35 tooth on the back cutting, changing Chains and such just to get near 18x40 gearing

Any changes from 1hp and 1.5 hp to 2hp Will require intake changes and carburetor change or resetting/tuning

It’s not hard to change a 1HP. So, that should be the minimum concerning factor in purchasing a moped.

I can’t resist.

- bald rear tire from doing sick burnouts.

- JEGS high performance sticker

- NJ license plates

- clamp on handlebars

Come on, what am I missing?

I take it the sticker’s gone?

62682550-7A01-4111-8102-62354AE60B2D.jpeg

Joseph Ferguson /

Thanks for all the input. I wasn't aware of the number stamped on the exhaust. And I'm not sure if it has the sticker or not; of course I'll check for it, but this moped seems to be in rough shape cosmetically, so I'm not counting on it being there.

Overpriced Parts /

> Papa _ Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> It’s not hard to change a 1HP. So, that should be the minimum concerning

> factor in purchasing a moped.

Za50 Engine is,

A 1 hp Puch Za50 is internally geared restricted with very low gears and different not as good clutches,

Welp. Didn’t know that. Since the OP said maxi I just assumed E50.

But that’s good to know. Cause I would like to mess with a ZA someday and it would suck to have to replace everything inside.

no groms no blasters /

I usually look at how fast it goes

> no groms no blasters Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I usually look at how fast it goes

This is a pretty good indicator of power (edited)

Take it for a spin real quick and go on a FLAT roadway with no hills. If it tops out around 20-23ish its a 1hp model. If it goes 25-27ish its a 1.5hp model and if it can touch and hold 30 its a 2hp. My Puch does 45-50 all day (but mines not stock its kitted) (edited)

Joseph Ferguson /

Thanks again for all the input! Just checked out – and then purchased – the moped yesterday. It's a 2 horsepower Newport. Looking forward to putting in the TLC it needs to get back to good mechanical and cosmetic condition.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account