Tropical storm Isaias.....anyone else affected?

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

My house in NJ is right smack in the center of the forecasted path of Tropical Storm Isaias. We live in a flood prone part of the state, so if the storm drops as much rain as expected, my house and garage will most definitely get flooded out. Not only will my house be flooded, my three beloved mopeds will also be flooded out as well.

Fortunately, Kim and I are currently in our house in the RVA area, so we have a place to stay. Unfortunately, I won’t be able to go back to my place in NJ in time to save my bikes and parts. I’m really hoping that my house in NJ is spared from the storm, but it increasingly looks like that’s not gonna happen.

I guess my situation could be much worse. I’m thankful that we have a place to stay and are safe.

Anyone else in the same predicament? Be safe everyone! (edited)

Re: Tropical storm Isaias.....anyone else affected?

Dirty30 Dillon /

I'm in Brooklyn, we're supposed to see gusts up to 70mph and get 4-6" of rain.

I imagine that Red Hook/Gowanus and Harlem will see flooding. I will be fine, all my bikes are garaged.

@Lar, you don't have anyone up here who could move the bikes to a safer part of the house?

Probably Fred /

Richmond Virginia area (if that’s where you where you are at now Larry) is going to get a lot of rain and stuff too so keep safe.

Washington, NC here, we're going to get hammered apparently. They're already calling for evacuations but I haven't seen any for this area.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

My neighbor doesn’t have a key to my detached garage, only the house. So no, they can’t be moved to higher ground.

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I'm in Brooklyn, we're supposed to see gusts up to 70mph and get 4-6" of

> rain.

>

> I imagine that Red Hook/Gowanus and Harlem will see flooding. I will be

> fine, all my bikes are garaged.

>

> @Lar, you don't have anyone up here who could move the bikes to a safer

> part of the house?

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Ken, I’m about 35 miles west of Richmond. The forecasted rain totals here are supposed to be pretty steep as well. While we’re not in the clear, we’re on much higher ground than my place in NJ. Still nervous though.

> Overpriced Parts Wrote:

> Richmond Virginia area (if that’s where you where you are at now Larry)

> is going to get a lot of rain and stuff too so keep safe.

Things can change, hopefully your stuff will be alright. I have to worry about flooding :(

Lar,

Your VA home is the new one with the garage/showroom right?

mopeds. You could live in the desert like me. And pray for rain everyday.

That really sucks, at least you sold off most of the collection, but man that would drive me nuts worrying about, this is looking like a doozy of a storm, stay safe, things can be replaced, people can't!

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Yes it is. This is gonna suck!

> Papa _ Wrote:

> Lar,

>

> Your VA home is the new one with the garage/showroom right?

RVA has a history of riding mopeds into rivers. mopeds will be fine once ya blow the water out... so long as they dont get washed away

Missed FL pretty much. Hope it misses you too, Larry! Maybe it will lose some punch going thru the Carolinas and VA.

its raining and windy here, but nothing beyond "normal". having the Eastern Watershed Divide in my backyard means i don't have to worry about flooding.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

We’re getting slammed here in the RVA area right now.

The eye passed right over me here in eastern NC and was pretty mild. We got about 3.5 inches of rain. Maybe you'll get lucky and not have much rain in NJ.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

We’re in the clear in the RVA area now. We only had about 2” of rain. Hopefully, my NJ house will also be spared. My neighbor is texting me updates as the day goes on.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Update: My neighbor called me tonight and said my house and garage were spared from the storm. The creek near my house overflowed it’s banks and flooded my yard, but that was about it. We dodged a huge bullet.

Great news! Happy for you!

Awesome news. It hasn't hit up in maine yet. We have battened down the hatches and waiting to see what we get.

Just got a lot of heavy rain and high winds. Our powers still out but hope it comes on soon. Even with the fans it's still hot as fuck.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Hope you got your power back. Gonna be a hot one today in the tri-state.

> Brandon Love Wrote:

> Just got a lot of heavy rain and high winds. Our powers still out but

> hope it comes on soon. Even with the fans it's still hot as fuck.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /
3658EDF8-9C8F-4C20-A838-B608602F0E4E.jpeg

Thanks! The suspense was killing me until my neighbor called with the good news. I’m gonna take my peds back to VA with me as soon as I am able.

The pic above shows how much force there was from the water when it breached the top of the retaining wall. Wiped out all the grass and dirt next to the creek wall.

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> Great news! Happy for you!

Looks like it would be a lot easier to just edge the walk along that 'wall' .

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

^That’s exactly what we plan on doing.

> P D Wrote:

> Looks like it would be a lot easier to just edge the walk along that

> 'wall' .

Dirty30 Dillon /

I was spared from any damage, but my neighbor's Yamaha Morphous Scoot got creamed.

Had to help his wife lift the branch off of it and bet the thing back on it's center stand. Those fuckers are heavy.

Tri-ped Dave O.D.B. /

I lost a large maple tree which I just finished cutting up. Anyone need firewood?

> Tri-ped Dave Wrote:

> I lost a large maple tree which I just finished cutting up. Anyone need

> firewood?

Toss a little of that maple along with a few sticks of hickory in your smoker for a great flavor . ;)

Pushrod Fifty /

I lost power, the windy back road that leads to my neighborhood got hammered, fallen trees and downed lines, poles that got pushed on an angle by the wind, I think it will be a week at least before it comes back on.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

^ I feel for you. We lost power for 9 days because of SS Sandy back in 2012. It wasn’t fun. Hopefully, you’ll get it back sooner.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account