Moped Performance in the "golden era"

I was wondering if performance parts/upgrades sold were at moped shops in the 70's? Or was that something that came later?

Re: Moped Performance in the "golden era"

I’ll 2nd that.

I bet it would have been a conspicuous way to get into hot water to sell illegal parts at the same place.

But the 70’s were so much “cooler” about stuff like that too.

Late '70s, yes. Earlier you could buy a 5 speed 50cc motorcycle new, and the dealer would sell the speed parts. Or you could buy some crazy cool shit from Cosmopolitan Motors from the adds in the motorcycle magazines...

What stuff did they offer compared to what we have now?

Larry Picarello /

I sold 60cc cylinder kits for the Minarelli engined Snark-Bianchi mopeds we sold in the late 70's. This was in the NY suburbs.

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

One word: Mofast

> Larry Picarello Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I sold 60cc cylinder kits for the Minarelli engined Snark-Bianchi mopeds

> we sold in the late 70's. This was in the NY suburbs.

That's awesome. Any pipes? What was around?

I've sold a handful of these. They were in the Handy Bikes stash. I have a few copies of the original "Moped Mart" catalogs that they were featured in. That's where the quoted description comes from. There are other performance parts in there I'll grab photos of. Neat bit of history.

Screenshot_20200803-180332_Chrome.jpg

Where they mostly those clamp ons? I saw some pics of the mofast pipes for puch.

Nah there were bolt on pipe options as well. I'll snag some photos of my catalog tomorrow. There are kit and pipe options that were available.

Thanks. I find all of the accessories and merchandise interesting too.

Overpriced Parts /

I really didn’t get into kits in the 70s because my Italveo that went 40mph with just the restrictor plugs out of the airbox and a jet drill and I was into 2t Japanese enduro/dual purpose bikes mostly

My Italveo had the ultra high compression head that looked like a finger Combustion chamber from the top to the bottom no hemi shape,

I was offered a trade on a new Garrelli sport top tank and a New magnum xk even after a year or two of use when the bike was already getting worn and scratched damaged from driving it in the winter I still blew the doors off those bikes and never traded though I should’ve traded for the XK,

My first into dabble into performance other than the derestricting, aftermarket filters, timing, gearing and such,

It wasn't until late 80s early 90s that I put a complete magnum X engine on magnum XK and it did 40Mph all day

Early-mid 90s is when I was getting 60-65cc Puch kits, intakes and bolt on expansion chambers from a friend who was industrial tool salesman in Europe who would come back in the states for a few months a rear with moped goodies twice a year, I got my first 20 tooth and 36 tooth puch sprockets as well as 15 MM bings and tiny metal mesh filters from him and so the love of puch za50 engines was born!

Best 2 speed moped engine Ever,

I've had e-50's but never a ZA50.

I think the Hawaiians were building fast bikes with aftermarket stuff in the 80s, but I don't remember anymore who knew about that stuff.

I vaguely remember who you're talking about, think he had a sick maxi and magnum. Can't think of his name.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Cosmo had bigbore benelli kits.

Performance parts have existed just as long as mopeds have, so at least since the 50's.

Terbo Speghetti /

I mean, 30mph prob still felt too slow in 1978. Why wouldn't they make performance parts?

I’ve only been driving since 1999. The older guys I know said that unleaded pump gas back in the day had more kick to it.

I have no way to know if that’s really true or just a legend.

If it’s true, I bet you could get better performance with it.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

The only performance thing that I did in the late ‘70’s was to duck down to reduce wind resistance so I could go 2-3 mph faster....lol.

Ϫ‡☄ಬ∞ ƀƖḬƝƊ ƤǂƿƎ ∞ಬ☄‡Ϫ - Hoke from Black Pipes Moped Gang /

i just picked up a few bikes in new york from a former small time dealer, he sold 20 mph sachs and would hop them up w smaller rear sprockets and going from a 10 mil bing up to a 12 mil. the dealer accessories catalog he gave me didn't have any hop up stuff, just mag wheel sets, bags, fairings, etc.

Dirty30 Dillon /

I've seen a few Mofast pipes, and they are so neat

Having been there in the 70's, I'd have to say that the the "Golden Era of Mopeds" is now. Performance parts were not moped specific, off the shelf items back then but everything is different nowadays...

Performance parts were around but WAY harder to find! (no internet). Polini kits were super quality HAND MADE!

We did most of our own mods to speed things up. De-resticting pipes, drilling out intakes, drilling out carbs. Dealers all sold oversize pistons because back then we bored out scored cylinders instead of trashing them. Often your version of a kit was buying the 3rd or 4th oversize piston and punching out the cylinder to match. It got you 2mm larger than stock. plus you appeared totally stock.

Terbo Speghetti /

> Papa _ Wrote:

> I’ve only been driving since 1999. The older guys I know said that

> unleaded pump gas back in the day had more kick to it.

>

> I have no way to know if that’s really true or just a legend.

>

> If it’s true, I bet you could get better performance with it.

You know that octane is a measurement, right? And you know that ethanol is actually a higher octane than gasoline, right?

That "more kick* bullshit is just that, bullshit.

We're better at refining, we're better at transporting, we're better at measuring it's power, we're better at pumping it into our tanks. Literally everything about gasoline is better than it used to be.

Some pics from the catalog. These were sent to dealers back in the day so all pricing is dealer cost. Lots of Zeta. You can see overbore piston options and complete kits.

20200805_154027.jpg
20200805_154109.jpg

Here are a few of the pipe options from Moped Mart. Sweet Giannelli circuit. The Garelli pipe we sold is in there as well.

20200805_154141.jpg
20200805_154136.jpg

> Terbo Speghetti Wrote:

> > Papa _ Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > I’ve only been driving since 1999. The older guys I know said that

>

> > unleaded pump gas back in the day had more kick to it.

>

> >

>

> > I have no way to know if that’s really true or just a legend.

>

> >

>

> > If it’s true, I bet you could get better performance with it.

>

> You know that octane is a measurement, right? And you know that ethanol

> is actually a higher octane than gasoline, right?

>

> That "more kick* bullshit is just that, bullshit.

>

> We're better at refining, we're better at transporting, we're better at

> measuring it's power, we're better at pumping it into our tanks.

> Literally everything about gasoline is better than it used to be.

That's not completely true, yes ethanol had a higher octane rating but, gasoline has a higher power to weight ratio.

I dunno if you have owned an e85 vehicle but say your mileage on regular unleaded was 25mpg, ethanol gets about half that mileage.

The octane rating is just a measurement of resistance to pre ignition. That's why aftermarket turbo setup people use e85 because it has a high octane at cheaper than race gas cost.

Also the worst part about ethanol is the way it attracts moisture, that's why new gas doesnt have a long self life and turns your carbs insides green from sitting.

Dave Thacker /

Octane is not a power measurement. It is resistance to preignition from compression.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account