Pretty cool, thanks Blake.

Re: Moped Performance in the "golden era"

> Blake MD No PM Plz Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Some pics from the catalog. These were sent to dealers back in the day

> so all pricing is dealer cost. Lots of Zeta. You can see overbore piston

> options and complete kits.

> >

Thanks for sharing Blake! Id love to make some high quality copies and print them out for wall art!

> Blake MD No PM Plz Wrote:

> Here are a few of the pipe options from Moped Mart. Sweet Giannelli

> circuit. The Garelli pipe we sold is in there as well.

> >

Oh man I like the price tags a lot better then now a days

I lived in a rural area in '79 and the only 2 performance things I could figure out were changing the front sprocket from a 9 to an 11 (Minarelli V1) and drilling a hole in the air box to increase air flow. (SHA 14:12)

A few years later, I found a smaller rear sprocket at Akron Mopeds and changed the 44 to a 36. I was able to hit 40 mph on a stock V1 WOT on level ground, but hill climbing sucked.

I will probably kit a V1 over the winter, so that should be fun. There is another option everyone I know has been telling me to try for years, but I'm not sure how feasable it is; lose 40 pounds.

Here’s this page from a Leone catalog. Circa 1982. Sorry the lighting sucks in our lobby right now. Should be a little bit brighter in the future.

7E301463-7862-4BFA-9F97-E38D27BC6C94.jpeg
8E58C6CC-7B5E-48CA-BAAA-FA933C6EC75D.jpeg
image.jpg

> Terbo Speghetti Wrote:

> > Papa _ Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > I’ve only been driving since 1999. The older guys I know said that

>

> > unleaded pump gas back in the day had more kick to it.

>

> >

>

> > I have no way to know if that’s really true or just a legend.

>

> >

>

> > If it’s true, I bet you could get better performance with it.

>

> You know that octane is a measurement, right? And you know that ethanol

> is actually a higher octane than gasoline, right?

>

> That "more kick* bullshit is just that, bullshit.

>

> We're better at refining, we're better at transporting, we're better at

> measuring it's power, we're better at pumping it into our tanks.

> Literally everything about gasoline is better than it used to be.

Not true if BEFORE 72, the regular gas was routinely 100 octane and no trash ethanol.

BUT the gas was not as clean of impurities.

> Terbo Speghetti Wrote:

> I mean, 30mph prob still felt too slow in 1978. Why wouldn't they make

> performance parts?

I'd take a swing and say that the performance demand we see now is largely driven by their lower cost now. A Puch Newport cost $750 in 1980 new, which is over $2,300 today. If you wanted to go fast and had $2,300 you would probably just buy a motorcycle. I got my first moped for $100. Yeah, I don't mind kitting it to 70cc, porting it, decking it, running e85. Would I do that to a bike I paid $2,300 for? No.

Second, it's a niche subset of a niche item. Great in the days of the internet, but pretend you were a casting/machine shop in the 1970s. How are you going to sell your 70cc cylinders? Put a nice display in your window? Unlikely anyone with that engine will ever see it, never mind enough people to make it profitable. Ad in a magazine? I'm not sure which would have enough moped owners reading it to sustain that. The only decent way to get sales would be for the OEMs to offer these, but the last thing they want is people blowing up their bikes and getting a shoddy reputation and/or fighting warranty claims when somebody swaps their 50cc parts back on trying to get a new bottom end.

On top of that, even if you managed to be successful with all of that, you'd still be leaving money on the table by not doing more in-demand work. In the 90's before the internet there were makers of this stuff, but I'm guessing it was more of a hobby or side-gig and not considered to be a sustainable business. Any decent casting/machining/fabrication shop could make more money doing less niche items. Having the internet now makes that a lot more possible.

My take at least.

Back in the late 80’s I had two magnums. One was a mkII LTD and the other was a Magnum II. (I also had a red maxi and a Burgundy Newport but never really Did favor the step throughs)

I took my magnum II to the shop (Montgomery cyclery which is still around but haven’t dealt in mopeds in ages) and Steve the moped mechanic “bored it out” for I think $150-200. Being young and ignorant I had no idea what he did but I do remember that I had to re-break in the engine for a few 100 miles. Not sure if he dropped a cylinder kit on it what.

After that my Magnum II was SO much faster And quicker than my LTD or anyone else’s moped.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

The upgrades were oem for small motorcycles whose stroke matched the mopeds stroke like the 1talian kits for benelli.

Easier

To market.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account