California moped headlight law

Carl Johnson /

Do I have to have my moped headlight on during the day in California? It doesn't seem like it. The law seems to say that a headlight is required, but not that it be on all the time... only at night. Right?

Re: California moped headlight law

I'll likely never be in California , but , I want my headlight on any time my bike is running .

I'd even like it to pulsate all the time .

The more obvious you make yourself , the higher chance of folks seeing you and running you down .

In MN you don't need it on all the time, but as stated above I have it on all the time, check your local laws....but really, just leave it on.

Why not just run it? The law is that motorcycles manufactured 1/1/1978 and on need to have a light that automatically runs when the bike it started, day or night. Don’t think it necessarily applies to mopeds or even scooters for that matter, but I don’t have the actual CVC code up to verify.

So you want to drive a moped on the street because you lost your drivers licence. Now you scored a moped because you thought you could drive it with no licence but then further research and the folks in front of the bar said you still need a licence.

The moped has no working headlight or its just plain missing.

You are crushed because you figured you could ride the moped to DUI school but now your worried about stacking a DUS charge on the DUI.

You don't know how to fix the lights so your an obvious target for a passing cop.

Move your thread to Moped repair and learn to fix your lights. Wear shoes long pants gloves and a proper helmet to appear as a serious safety conscious rider. Don't ride like a idiot.

You'll be fine and have your privileges reinstated in 6 months.

Like bicycles, moped lights are only for being seen by other motorists. You will know this the first time you try to ride over 20mph at night. It gets real sketchy really quick. I'm always extra cautious on unfamiliar roads at night.

Carl Johnson /

I will run it. Right now I am driving it in my cul-de-sac while I solve various problems. And I did post in the repair channel about a headlight switch question (which is my current problem). When I'm toodling a block from my cul-de-sac in broad daylight with neighbors looking at me funny, I just wanted to know if I am breaking the law if a cop happens by, since we all know the cop WILL somehow do the annual visit to my block the one time I have the muffler disconnected or something.

Yes, I will otherwise ride with the light on when I fix the switch, because that's something currently holding me back from venturing more than a block from my house.

I'm sorry.

> Carl Johnson Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I will run it. Right now I am driving it in my cul-de-sac while I solve

> various problems. And I did post in the repair channel about a headlight

> switch question (which is my current problem). When I'm toodling a block

> from my cul-de-sac in broad daylight with neighbors looking at me

> funny, I just wanted to know if I am breaking the law if a cop happens

> by, since we all know the cop WILL somehow do the annual visit to my

> block the one time I have the muffler disconnected or something.

>

> Yes, I will otherwise ride with the light on when I fix the switch,

> because that's something currently holding me back from venturing more

> than a block from my house.

It's good that you've got thick skin. A multimeter is a must have for electrical work. Continuity testing on the headlight circuit can point out your problem in 5 minutes or less. Doesn't have to be a super fancy one but I wouldn't recommend the free harbor freight one, get one that beeps when there's continuity

ALWAYS have your headlight and taillight on.Put soe reflectors on the bike too. Never forget. It can save your life.

Ohio law states anything on a moped that it is outfitted with , is to be operational.

> Les B. Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Ohio law states anything on a moped that it is outfitted with , is to be

> operational.

It's a good thing he's in California and 2000 miles away then I guess

That’s funny. And probably true for a lot of people.

If you plan to get a California plate on it to ride it legally on a public street (assuming it doesn't already have one) then the DMV may want to do an inspection of everything it requires. Head light, horn, 2 ways of killing the motor, tail light and brake light. The pedals must also function properly since it is a Moped.

To ride it on the Lollipop test to get your M endorsement, they will inspect all the required items and check for insurance too. DMV has M1 or M2 classifications. M1 covers all 2 wheel bikes/motorcycles. M2 is only for the classic Pedal Moped with either a gas motor or an electric with a larger capacity electric motor. Scooters are not M2 and are considered Motorcycles no matter how small the motor is. (used to be 50cc or less are considered mopeds, but that changed long ago)

no groms no blasters /

pedaling through the lollipop test is hilarious and fun

I recommend it

Carl Johnson /

I've had M1 for 25 years. Just sent in the moped registration/transfer form in the mail. It already has a California plate but seems like it's all done through the mail no matter what. I avoid DMV whenever possible and that was before covid19...

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account