Stuck Flywheel

For some reason my flywheel refuses to come out. I tried using a puller from Harbor Freight and it has worked many times in the past. But this time around It was so tight that it caused minor damage to the threads at the end of the crank it's mounted on. The keyway fell out a while ago so it's just fitted to the taper of the crank. With the nut in the center being decently tight. I've practically completely rebuilt this thing and the last thing I need to do is remove the flywheel! Any tips on how to do it would be great. (I've looked at other posts and they weren't quite what I was looking for)

IMG_20200802_152206.jpg
IMG_20200802_152110.jpg

Re: Stuck Flywheel

Also had to grind down the puller a bit to fit it in.

Dirty30 Dillon /

Looks like someone has been prying/pulling on the flywheel holes, not the threaded puller section.

Also, I hate to say this but the end of your crank looks like it's mushroomed out, I doubt you will ever get a nut back on there.

The reason why it's mushroomed is because it had to be so tight. It pushed the metal outwards. However I did manage to get a nut back on there with a little bit of work.

Dude, spend $15 on the flywheel puller tool and stop ruining your stator/flywheel/crank threads. Why have so many people been doing this with a 3 jaw puller lately?

Overpriced Parts /

> Nick Haber Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Dude, spend $15 on the flywheel puller tool and stop ruining your

> stator/flywheel/crank threads. Why have so many people been doing this

> with a 3 jaw puller lately?

They're penny wise and pound foolish that’s why!

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

^Ken, you took the words right out of my mouth. I would add impatient as well.

Carefully heat where indicated. Carefully tap with a brass or hard plastic mallet where indicated.

flywheel.jpg

A Vespa puller is a reasonable price. And that POP! Is good to hear instead of M®F ing it. I don't know how many other mopeds can use it.

I've hammered off tons of flywheels in my day for impatience or lack of the right puller. the 504 is by FAR the most impossible - it's smaller and the case foes right up to the edge of it. it's a bitch.

I'd be pretty careful with heating the crank too just regarding the seal, it's easy to go a lil too hot with a torch, but it's also pretty easy not to, should work - im just sayin be conscious and careful.

yea, the best answer here is the proper puller, just buy one. it's worth it. bending the flywheel or melting seals or squashing the crank threads is not worth saving 15 bucks and 3 days.

if that is too mushroomed on the crank tip, grab the mushroom tip firmly and stroke

jk.

you can grind off the mushroomed partif you're careful to leave as much thread as possible, you've got some mm of threading before you're even touching the ones under load.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account