My First 50 MPH Tomos Is Trying To Kill Me. Brake Fail

Dave Thacker /

Rolled out for a morning blas on my fasted ride. Touched the front brakes in drive and the locked to a skid couple of times. Figured dampness. Drug them a bit to warm up. When they didn't grab again blasted off for a good ride. No apparent problems till i dismounted to find this.

20200804_113620.jpg

Re: My First 50 MPH Tomos Is Trying To Kill Me. Brake Fail

Isn't there suppose to be a hub stop on that fork leg ?

Dave Thacker /

Yea, you see it bent over in the photo's. I laid down in the wind like a Seattle mayor.

Tweaker trash /

That is so dangerous! What happens is the cable wraps around the tire , now that is bad all by itself! Been when the cable gets wrapped around the tire it also pulls your handle bar too one side and you go down hard

> Dave Thacker Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Yea, you see it bent over in the photo's. I laid down in the wind like

> a Seattle mayor.

Ah , I see it in the other thread .

TOP GUN™ ANDY ⚔ (LSLB) ⚔ /

congratulations! you have crappy stock moped forks. swap the lowers out for the EBR ones

Dave Thacker /

Andy, I have two A55's with the hydro forks. I value them. Need two sets for my two A35's. I didn't know I could just by hydro lowers though. Hmmmm.

You're lucky, I had that happen with some stock tomos forks before, but the plate hit a snag and grabbed the cable and snatched my bars. My shoulders fucked up for life because of it, should have went to the doctor.

Tweaker trash /

> Brandon Love Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> You're lucky, I had that happen with some stock tomos forks before, but

> the plate hit a snag and grabbed the cable and snatched my bars. My

> shoulders fucked up for life because of it, should have went to the

> doctor.

It didn’t hit a snag , the cable is attached to the plate. When the plate spins around the wheel it takes the cable with it, This shortens/Removes the slack in the cable, then the cable jerks and locks the handbars to one side and you go down hard and confused!

This can also happen if the cable snags the chain.

That's what I meant.

TOP GUN™ ANDY ⚔ (LSLB) ⚔ /

I don't know if you can get hydro lowers, but I replaced the lowers on my Colibri with the EBR ones (just regular springs) and they're fine. Better than stock for sure, with the exception that the headlight bits kinda rattle around

Happened to me on a custom motorized bike. After three years of basically trouble free riding everyday, the clamp that holds the brake arm broke, brake plate spun, yanked the cable, and threw me over the bars at 45mph.

Landed shoulder first, with the elbow on my other arm jabbed into my chest.

Seperated left shoulder, my right elbow jab broke four ribs, right wrist, two fingers, and bruised my heart, lung and kidneys.

Two days in the hospital, two months of therapy, shoulder wasn't getting better, had reconstructive surgery.

Ended my 18 year tower climbing career, and took about four years till it didn't bother me anymore.

I used to be able to do 50 pull ups and endless push ups (from tower climbing arm strength.) Now I can do two or three. Maybe ten push ups.

Still feel it when it rains.

jfc, ur lucky

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account