Tomos Automatic 70 cc Airsal Kit Question/s

In the process of getting ready to install this kit onto my Automatic. I would like to get all my ducks in a row before doing something incorrectly and doing damage.

What spark plug exactly should I be getting for something like this? multiple people have told me to go from my current NGK B6HS to "a 7 or an 8" and I'm a little confused. (or I am overthinking this)

Do they literally mean go from a B6HS to a B7HS?

Also as far as timing is concerned, I have had people tell me to "retard" the timing (which, if my understanding is correct, means to reduce the power the engine is creating through points timing in order to reduce the potential for it to overheat)

But I have also heard the opposite, as in... "if you are experienced enough and mess with the timing then you can get some more power out of it, otherwise dont mess with the timing"

so if anyone has experience with this sort of stuff I would love some extra input because I dont want to explode the engine.

Re: Tomos Automatic 70 cc Airsal Kit Question/s

You are overthinking the plug. I have so many Tomos Airsals, and I run B6HS on all. 1 number either way won't really effect it since you are not talking a major racing build.

I have run a B5HS for thousands of miles too. I usually advance the timing slightly when I kit, but you have to run it and see. It is more trial and error, there is no set formula. Wherever it runs best and stays within normal operating temps. Advancing usually makes it hotter, retarding cooler but don't overdo or overthink it. When it runs best, it usually runs coolest too.

> Tri-ped Dave Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> You are overthinking the plug. I have so many Tomos Airsals, and I run

> B6HS on all. 1 number either way won't really effect it since you are

> not talking a major racing build.

>

> I have run a B5HS for thousands of miles too. I usually advance the

> e timing slightly when I kit, but you have to run it and see. It is

> more trial and error, there is no set formula. Wherever it runs best

> and stays within normal operating temps. Advancing usually makes it

> hotter, retarding cooler but don't overdo or overthink it. When it runs

> best, it usually runs coolest too.

This is literally what I needed to hear....so thank you.

I got the bike running pretty good stock so I have zero concerns about getting it set up properly with the airsal kit, but then when people starting telling me to change things up thats what started to trip me up a little bit.

Yes. 7 means B7HS plug.

Retarding timing may me an incorrect way to say something that we all understand.

Ignition almost always happens Before Top Dead Center. It is “advanced” say 18* BTDC. When people say retard timing, they don’t mean to fire after TDC. They mean to retard timing from what the factory manual says. So it’s Less Advanced than normal.

Less advanced timing means the combustion is delayed so slightly that the heat buildup from it burning is moved farther along. More heat goes out the exhaust instead of soaking into the head/cylinder. Which is twofold better for making power.

Hope that helps.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account