Free Spirit Tuning

Rowan Vannier /

I am currently trying to upjet my Puch Free Spirit. Everything is stock except the proma circuit pipe. I have a 70 in the main jet right now and when I pull the throttle, the bike accelerates for a second then slows down and the engines turns off. How do I go about troubleshooting this?

Re: Free Spirit Tuning

First step is to post a repair question on the repair page of the forum. Second, I would inspect the float. The needle that the float controls can get out of shape and not seal, or can become stuck. Sounds like yours is sticking and not letting fuel into the bowl. Remove the float and needle. Inspect he needle tip. If the rubber is swollen it could be sticking. You can try polishing up the valve that the needle goes in, but you may need a new needle for your float.

Rowan Vannier /

Okay, thanks for letting me know.

I checked out the carb and the float is most defiantly letting fuel in. The carb was cleaned over a month ago so it is in pretty good shape. The needle is clean and so is the hole that it goes in. I am not really sure what is wrong. Haha, sorry I am new

Thx

Polish the hole that it goes in with q tips and Brasso or the like .

It has to be free of defects and shiny bright

Float needle and jet needle are two different parts in that carb. Follow PD's advice on polishing the inlet. They will let fuel in, but it will be too slow to sustain a running bike. But by the time you get the bowl apart fuel has filled it back up. This is always the first thing I check when a bike runs as you describe. It costs little to nothing to fix if it is the cause.

Rowan Vannier /

Thanks so much guys. Cleaned and rebuilt the carb and she’s running great now!!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account