V1 kick start?

Ordered a v1ks from treats and gonna do a rebuild. Any surprise I should be aware of that are much different than the normal v1? Got this for a trike project and just gonna do the standard polini kit and build a low power torque pipe for it. Not gonna be a blaster just a good grocery hauler that can be a safe ride at 35-40 tops. Anything with the ks that I need to be aware of?

Re: V1 kick start?

First surprise is gonna be how fucked up it is. I ordered one and it was basically junk. Piston was seized. No big deal, right?

Two weeks of soaking, heat, pounding, it was still seized. The dirt filled ports didn't help much, either.

Pretty sure mine was underground for a while. Or maybe dredged up from a canal.

Had a stub plane clutch. I mean, it had a stub plane clutch shaft. Although the motor looked untouched, the clutch was missing.

The stub plane didn't bother me much because I ended up cutting the rod in half to unstick the motor, so I needed a new crank anyway.

Had a weird Bosch ignition on it. Completely rusted out with warped magnets (didn't know warped magnets were a thing, but...)

So, new crank, new magneto, new clutch, new bearings, new seals, new snap rings, new gaskets...

Oh yeah, new sprocket to go with the new sprocket shaft that was rounded out from it being loose for so long...

Basically a brand new motor! What a deal!

Hooked it up to my Lazer with the polini top end.

Worked awesome!

Third time I tried to start it the whole kickstart shaft popped out.

I decided to put the pedal start back on the Lazer.

Not saying you'll get one as bad as mine. Maybe treats was so impressed with my skills they decided to give me a challenge.

They are really easy to work on, though.

Sounds fun, haha. Mine should be here today. Hope mine is in better shape. I know it is siezed but that didn't realy scare me. Are the cranks the same as a pedal v1? I think I got a nice one kicking around.

Some came with a tapered clutch with a safety pin, others came with a stub plane. Not all cranks were the same from V1-V1KS but definitely compatible with each other just Might need to modify. Some cranks were regular threading others were reversed to prevent the nut from backing off. Some clutches had the kicker Starting gear wielded to the clutch others were part of the Nut I think.

The kickstart crank has a welded foot lever, but I think the bend is the same.

I forgot about that part. With the kick starter on the Lazer, it was in the way of my leg. I mounted foot pegs to the swing arm, so with my foot on the peg, my shin was pinned to the crank peg. So if I had to stick my leg out in a hurry, I'd bang up my shin, and if I rear ended anything, it'd probably break my leg.

I could've figured out something, like modify a kickstart with a spring loaded pedal that swings in, but didn't have it on my bike for more than a day.

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

Some of the kick starters are different too

I have a fantic kick start that has a 3 inch extension on the lever so it will clear footpegs (I assume, it's in a custom frame now)

Well I got it today. Plastic is a little beat up. So this isn't fan cooled I guess? I kinda drunk purchased this so we will see what i got myself into

Some were fan cooled Some weren’t

Well the output shaft spins free. Gonna pull the head tomorrow and start soaking it to see if I can break it free. Had some oil in it that looks pretty clean that leaked all through the box. That's a good sign. Mabye I'll get away with just a top end but I'm never that lucky, haha

So finaly got around to start digging into the v1ks. It's pretty clean and is complete. I pounded the cylinder off pretty easy. Crank is junk. How do I know what crank to get for rebuild? Have not completely torn down the motor. Just pulled the top end and cover. Is there a way to tell what I need to order or do I need to tear down completely?

Surprisingly clean.

15998756179164990084370233736350.jpg

So seems like this guy was a victim of sitting seizure. Sprayed everything down and crank turns super smooth now. Nice tight rod. May clean up and toss a good top end on it to see if it will run just for shits. Stator looks nice. Points look fine. I'm pretty sure I could clean up the top end and it would be fine also.

Had to pound the piston out but cylinder realy looks pretty good. Just a quick spray down and ran a rag through it. No finger nail drag.

15998780523718554020226110743148.jpg

Also has Ducati setup. What is the deal with just 2 wires?

20200911_215006.jpg

Lucky bastard.

> baird co Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Lucky bastard.

Yeah I saw your thread about your surprise engine you got. Sucks. This one is in pretty good and I think it was like $160 or so shipped. I only got it so I could put it on a trike that my girl could start easy. Got any input on what I have here? Be nice to start ordering parts for the rebiuld.

I'm no engine builder by any means and have had good luck just tossing a polini on and jetting rich and just messing with gearing on v1. Of course a good pipe and carb bit this is just gonna get a sha and what ever pipe I decide to copy. Probably an estroil copy with my quiet technology silencer.

This pipe almost sounds stock.

20200731_063415.jpg

> Satan 666 Wrote:

> Also has Ducati setup. What is the deal with just 2 wires?

No lighting coil maybe 🤷‍♂️. Looks like you gambled and won!

> The Dude Wrote:

> > Satan 666 Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Also has Ducati setup. What is the deal with just 2 wires?

>

> No lighting coil maybe 🤷‍♂️.

Or , maybe as simple as one wire for ignition and the other for lights +++ ?

Picture is kinda dark but looks like only coil on one side of stator.

Are kickstarts not usually found on offroad dirt peds? Most of those did not have any lights. Just ignition stuff.

> The Dude Wrote:

> Picture is kinda dark but looks like only coil on one side of stator.

Has two coils.

> Satan 666 Wrote:

> > The Dude Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Picture is kinda dark but looks like only coil on one side of stator.

>

> Has two coils.

You're gonna pull the flywheel for a better look . Then post a pic of exactly what's under .

Is it an electronic ignition?

> baird co Wrote:

> Is it an electronic ignition?

Has points

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account