1978 Motobecane VLX

Hello, new to the forum, also new to mopeds (although I did have a Puch in the early 90s and really enjoyed it). Anyway, I picked up this 78 Motobecane VLX and it has been sitting out for a few years. I am planning on picking up a new plug (suggestions?) and getting a gas mix together (50:1? 30:1? 25:1?) and just wanting some pointers from some seasoned pros. Also the guy I got it from said it needs a CDI, so I got one on ebay (see pic).

Anyway, I appreciate any helpful info.

-Scott

IMG_20200816_193946977.jpg
s-l500.jpg

Re: 1978 Motobecane VLX

Treatland.tv has anything you need. Doscycles.com too. Nice find.

32:1 is stock mix, these did not come with cdi stock, have you opened the stator yet? Read the wiki, and everything by Rebel Moby, and you should be up and running in no time.

Well done - handsome looking bike.

Stock calls for 32:1 premix, likely you will get other suggestions for other than dino oil.

Stock is not CDI, it is points. No spark/weak spark often is the condenser, search around for the "external condenser mod" for Mobys, inside the magneto you will need to cut the blue with black tracer wire going to the points to disconnect the old condenser. 6v/12v magnetos often have the common of the ignition exciter going into the wiring, so just make a jumper wire from the 6v terminal to the engine casing if you have a 2 internal coil magneto.

You must get the cam/flywheel puller for your moby (24x1.00 and 26x1.00) so you can get adjust the timing as well as service the clutch. If you get a CDI for the engine then you need 19x1.00 puller as well.

Brad Florence /

"6v/12v magnetos often have the common of the ignition exciter going into the wiring, so just make a jumper wire from the 6v terminal to the engine casing if you have a 2 internal coil magneto."

How can you tell? I have a 78 motobecane 50v. I want to replace the condenser (mine is on the outside of the flywheel/magneto (not sure what it is called). Can i just cut that blueish/green wire from condenser? and then install an external condenser? Or do i have to remove the points and remove that wire completely? I am trying to avoid removing points an re setting the timing. But need to replace my condenser.

If your condenser is already external of the stator you should be able to just swap it out without removing the flywheel. Or are you thinking of the coil? Pic?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account