Training wheels for yamaha QT50

I am looking to find a way to rig training wheels for one of my QT50's. I have a uncoordinated friend, and two teenagers (one very uncoordinated) who all want me to teach them to ride. For this to happen with these 3 people (aside from others I plan on teaching to ride as best I can) need to have a safety measure like this in place. I was thinking maybe a PW50 training wheels and replace the actual wheels with slightly bigger ones? Idk if it will match up though... not sure what I should even be looking for with how it mounts or if anyone has ever done or attempted something like this before?

Any thoughts, answers, suggestions welcome. I am still fairly new to all of this and I am learning as I go. There has to be a reasonable way to do something like this though?!

Re: Training wheels for yamaha QT50

This might sound sarcastic, but teach them to ride a bike first.

Training wheels are horrible. They don’t teach you to ride anything except for a bike that has training wheels. As soon as they’re off, it’s a whole different machine.

If someone is too uncoordinated to master a bicycle first, they have no business on a two wheeled motor vehicle. I say that from a place of love and concern for their safety.

It sounds like you’re doing an awesome thing teaching people to ride. Keep it simple and just start at the basics.

Papa,

You sir, are an asset to the planet. You are really kind and helpful on these posts. This is a SUPERB bit of advice. I've been hesitant about riding mine because of all the joint replacements ( arthritis - not accidents ) but have always been very athletic and physically capable. What a great idea !! Start riding a bike again and build balance, leg strength, confidence and a genuine burning desire for a motor on the damn thing so it's not so hard !!!!!! Thank you !!!!

Jimmy Cincinnati /

I recommend everyone take a motorcycle safety course. The instructors know how to handle new riders and will completely teach them how to operate the bike and ride. Not only will they be able to ride about anything put in front of them when done but also they will be better equipped for all the scenarios that eventually befalls every motorcyclist. The courses in ohio are like $50 and take up 3 days of your life... 3 days of training that might save their life someday not to mention might make for some insurances savings as well.

When it comes to the safety of friends and family, dont skimp out.

agree. if you can't ride a bicycle, don't ride a motorized one.

and training wheels are a terrible approach to training, you need to learn how to lean and countersteer etc, it all comes pretty naturally but you gotta figure it out and you can't figure it our if you've got a pair of crutches holding you back (say no to training wheels!)

Still, you could do it.

wow it's really cheap in Ohio for classes. In Texas most places want $250 or more plus you have to come equipped with riding gear, but I agree that riding classes are good for anyone who wants to actually spend time on a bike with a motor. (edited)

> Brent Bhuiyan Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> wow it's really cheap in Ohio for classes. In Texas most places want

> $250 or more plus you have to come equipped with riding gear.

It's cause it's a state program, it's really nice to have it and we're very lucky

Very bery good point. Thanks!

This is something I still need and want to do!! (Motorcycle class) I have to look it up for where I am and right now it isn't happening. Staying in and staying home is all I got going on for a while. Damn world fallin apart. (edited)

na, I'm definitely not gonna go that route. It would be a bad crutch and ya need to learn how to move with it and that just comes with practice... I'm not there yet and the kids know it will be a couple yrs here before I feel comfortable enough to know I'm teaching them right!

> Angela Carlson Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> na, I'm definitely not gonna go that route. It would be a bad crutch

> and ya need to learn how to move with it and that just comes with

> practice... I'm not there yet and the kids know it will be a couple yrs

> here before I feel comfortable enough to know I'm teaching them right!

Who are you talking to ?

Use the quote when responding , so everyone knows it's not them . ;)

Pushrod Fifty /

I might need a pair too when the bars re-open.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account