Puch Maxi Stator

I am new to mopeds and have been struggling to identify the coils on my Puch maxi stator and have a few questions which I’m hoping somebody can help me out with.

My first question is, where is my ignition coil? The photos that I have attached show x2 copper looking coils, one with finer wire than the other but neither of them have the plastic case that you seem to find on the regular internal ignition coils.

Also, why do some stator’s have x2 copper looking coils and then an additional external ignition coil?

Final question, what role do the different coils have?

Thanks in advance.

5A9E81A9-D81D-44DF-8A1B-A05F6B11AAC4.jpeg
4300CE3E-DC35-4E46-9F8B-DB28901BCBA4.jpeg
403197E5-2ACF-4C2C-8205-A1D077B51B22.jpeg

Re: Puch Maxi Stator

The two coils you can see thru the flyweel, the thicker is the ignition coil. However you have a HT coil outside the flywheel that the plug wire goes to. What is the issue you are having, as neither of these two pieces hardly ever ho bad.

Probably Fred /

Before you go any farther you got service your magneto

Read this completely especially the part about 2/3 of the way down on the page about how to service it

https://mopedarmy.com/wiki/Puch_timing

Hi, thank you for your reply. That makes sense with regards to the thicker coil that I can see through the flywheel being the ignition coil. What is the thinner wire one then?

Also, I do not think I have a HT coil outside of the flywheel. All I have coming out of the stator is x3 smaller wires and a thicker cable for the spark plug.

The issue that I am trying to solve is I was not getting a spark and then the spark plug cable snapped as it was very old. So am trying to learn about the ignition system while replacing components that need replacing so I can get the spark.

8E6521B2-825B-4500-BCBA-75BD506AD85C.jpeg

Welllllll then. I would double check the wiki, look under puch, and wiring diagrams. You will see the 3wire version and how it all goes thru the bike.

splice on some new cable

> pat splat Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> splice on some new cable

Sorry, you will have to explain further. What do you mean by splice on some new cable? Thanks

Buy a flywheel puller so you can take your flywheel off and take a good look at what's in there.

Are you in the UK by chance? There was an oddball internal HT stator they used over there that had an extra coil or two, I think. Thick black wire goes to spark plug, thin black goes to kill switch, yellow to headlight and the striped one maybe tail light? But yeah, like Mike said, the only way to know for sure is to pop it open.

@chinatownkicks. Thank you for your reply and yes, I am indeed in the UK. My flywheel puller tool finally arrived and I have been able to get inside and remove the stator. You were correct in that there are x2 coils and an ignition coil (black casing???) if I am not mistaken. The whole thing looks pretty grubby so needs a good clean. Possibly need to replace the contacts? I have attached some photos. The spark plug wire is also snapped so will need to replace that and presume I will need to buy a whole new ignition coil for that? Thanks again all for your replies/help, it is greatly appreciated.

E42F180C-CE5D-4351-B5B1-2B4F337B0450.jpeg
242EE799-B04E-4796-89ED-DCAA313EB8D0.jpeg
B0A33B3C-B34C-4265-8B44-02A51325A88C.jpeg

Probably Fred /

You should test the one lighting coil it looks burnt, BTW Those black internal ignition coils get hot and fail that’s why they went with more reliable external ignition coils, you may want to go with one like that or wire for and run the newer Super reliable style 4 coil 6 wire stator with external coil system

On the ignition coil, you might be able to just replace the wire. I don't have much experience with them but the wire screws onto the external model so it may be the same with yours.

At the very least you'll want to clean the points. Maybe replace them. If you do, then you might as well replace the condenser, too.

You can replace the current headlight coil (yellow wire) with a 12v lighting coil that will give you brighter lights and power your tail light, too, meaning you can lose the smaller coil too.

Really depends how much work you want to do and how much money to spend compared to buying/installing a more common stator and external coil.

If you look at your HT coil, you can see the wire for the plug has a boot on it where it is meeting the coil. If you push up the boot I bet you can twist the cable out so you can replace it with a fresh cable. The new one just twists back in. Reuse your old boot.

Check that the screw connector in the HT coil is corrosion free , before installing any new HT wire . Same goes for any spark plug cap . Actually , any and all electrical connections , including ground points . Every connection is best when shiny bright

and scratches to connect .

Hi guys, just wanted to thank you all for your super helpful advice. Really appreciate it. I have decided to replace the points and have ordered a new HT cable, spark plug and spark plug holder/cap. I am also looking into getting 12v replacement lighting coil. Any other tips and advice greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Genuine Bosch points have a much better reputation than the generic ones, so get those if you can. Maybe get an extra condenser, too, since they eventually fail. If you want, you can wire it up so the new one is outside the flywheel and easier to replace next time if/when it goes. Also an extra woodruff key. You drop one of those on the pavement and you'll never find it.

> Chinatown Kicks Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Genuine Bosch points have a much better reputation than the generic

> ones, so get those if you can. Maybe get an extra condenser, too, since

> they eventually fail. If you want, you can wire it up so the new one is

> outside the flywheel and easier to replace next time if/when it goes.

> Also an extra woodruff key. You drop one of those on the pavement and

> you'll never find it.

All that^ .

You'll find that dropped key the day after you need it . LOL

Have ordered the bosch points so looking forward to them arriving. I couldn't find a bosch condenser unfortunately. I am based in the UK so not sure if that helps but couldn't find an genuine one so have stuck with the one it came with for now. I have read in several places that the originals are pretty bullet proof but I guess I will find out!!

My question now is how can I conduct some tests to check other components on the stator. For example, I believe there is a battery test you can do with the stator? Forgive my ignorance but what sort of battery and how does this test work? Thanks :)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account