Moving to New York

Moving to Albany, NY. In the next couple months. Who rides up there and how annoying is it to register mopeds?

DB162D28-B4A0-4239-A809-40A0C2A3B507.jpeg

Re: Moving to New York

Probably Fred /

I feel so sorry for you The Moped laws are basically motorcycle laws, you need title insurance all kinds of bull crap plus I guess you like paying a lot of taxes too,

Re: Moving to New York

I’m living there for free so I’m not too upset but yeah those property taxes are fucked

Re: Moving to New York

john cervini /

I'm in Little Falls Ny, about an hour west of Albany. Ny uses transferable registrations, not titles. If you don't have either there are forms you need to fill out to get a transferable registration. Pretty simple and you get plates the day you register when dmv is operating normally. Currently you can drop things off and pick up in 7-10 days due to the backup from covid.

Re: Moving to New York

I'm like half way between Albany and John C location so if you breakdown riding to his place you'll have a safe place to work on your ped to get it going again!!!! See profile for location. Unless you never break down. Anyway, I feel bad for anybody moving TO this area. Riding season is a lot shorter up here.

Re: Moving to New York

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

> Overpriced Parts Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I feel so sorry for you The Moped laws are basically motorcycle laws,

> you need title insurance all kinds of bull crap plus I guess you like

> paying a lot of taxes too,

What the hell are you on about? Absolutely 0% of that statement is true

Re: Moving to New York

If your going to live in New York, or are from New York, You have an absolute obligation to yourself, family and country to understand what New York Assembly Bill A99 is, and why they are secretly trying to pass it. These people are not fucking around and your kids deserve to be fought for.

Re: Moving to New York

Pushrod Fifty /

NY has yearly inspection even for motorcycles. The fee in the mid 90's was $25.00. They always broke my balls when I lived there and for cars they hustle repairwork out of you.

Re: Moving to New York

See the chart below from the NYS DMV to understand the classifications and requirements in NY for class A/B/C mopeds.

The way it works at DMV is when you go to register a moped, you have to give them a VIN# and the Manufacturer/Model #, if you don't have a title or transferable registration you'll likely need a photo of the Moped's VIN or ID Tag on the frame, plus a few forms affirming what you own. They then check the moped model against their internal list (this is not published, but there are some partial versions floating around on the web). The class for your moped is determined by what class it's assigned on their list. There is no provision for modified bikes or bikes not on the list. If your make/model is not on the list, they won't register it. Technically, it's impossible to register anything older than 1977 because they are not on the list.

Sometimes you have to get creative...

Moped Classes DMV.png

Re: Moving to New York

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

> Larry Baltz Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> See the chart below from the NYS DMV to understand the classifications

> and requirements in NY for class A/B/C mopeds.

>

> The way it works at DMV is when you go to register a moped, you have to

> give them a VIN# and the Manufacturer/Model #, if you don't have a title

> or transferable registration you'll likely need a photo of the Moped's

> VIN or ID Tag on the frame, plus a few forms affirming what you own.

> They then check the moped model against their internal list (this is not

> published, but there are some partial versions floating around on the

> web). The class for your moped is determined by what class it's assigned

> on their list. There is no provision for modified bikes or bikes not on

> the list. If your make/model is not on the list, they won't register it.

> Technically, it's impossible to register anything older than 1977

> because they are not on the list.

>

> Sometimes you have to get creative...

I had no problems registering my 1976 Bianchi Snark. Maybe you meant 1976? Pretty sure that was the first year mopeds were imported to the states and had the provisions for registration we use today

Re: Moving to New York

Dirty30 Dillon /

Also, you can very easily register something not on the list.

Re: Moving to New York

> Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) Wrote:

> -----------------------------------------------------

> I had no problems registering my 1976 Bianchi Snark. Maybe you meant

> 1976? Pretty sure that was the first year mopeds were imported to the

> states and had the provisions for registration we use today

I stand corrected. I thought it was 1977 but looking at the NY Class C list I have there are Ciaos and Vespas as early as 1968. I don't have a list for A or B Classes. On the class C list I have the first Bianchi listed is 1977...

Dirty30 Dillon /hydra

Aug 29, 2020 10:17PM

Also, you can very easily register something not on the list.

On Long Island they put me through the ringer, and I had to make 3 visits to get mine registered, as it's exact model # didn't appear on the list. The earliest Peugeot on the list is 1977, Puch goes back to 1974...

They don't have the approved list in the branches and the clerks call Albany, where there are literally two guys who verify the make/model. I called and they won't disclose what's on their list. You ask about your specific make/model and they tell you yes or no. It's pretty bizarre.

Re: Moving to New York

Dirty30 Dillon /

There's a copy of the B/C list somewhere.

But yeah, I mean I've sold and had regged models that were never sold in the US via NYC, so I don't think the list is necessarily the end-all.

Also, I know multiple people who have registered mb5's as class B/C.

So the system is fairly vexxed with inconsistency

Re: Moving to New York

Yep, I'm guessing that it's really just dependent on the branch and clerk you have to work with...If you've got an older or non-listed moped those inconsistencies work in your favor.

Re: Moving to New York

In Ohio I cannot tell you the number of times I've had trouble with DMV's and mopeds or title transfer from out of state. They tell me they can't help me, give me a long list of things I need in order to transfer the title, and then instead I just go to the next county over and try there. Longest trip I've taken is to 3 title bureaus before the dude just let me transfer a Vermont registration and gave me a title.

Re: Moving to New York

Oh nice. There USED to be a crew there, alex legs, scott birdsey, nick with the crazy sachs and some other dudes.

mohawk mammoths. they were cool dudes! very fun crew but I haven't heard a peep from em in 5-10 years. I guess nick sortof briefly got back into it but I think he's no longer in that area anyway.

my mom lives in Schenectady and works in Albany, my sister in law's working on a tv show in Scotia also same area.

I also distinctly remembering running into some kid on an express in Troy last time I drove thru, baby blue. and some other great upstate fellas in like Utica and Binghamton and stuff, but not really groups. best luck dude, enjoy it

Re: Moving to New York

hit up birdsy, I am pretty sure he's still there and has been putting a magnum together. IG is @scotty_birdz

Re: Moving to New York

Havent really seen anyone around here- I used to run around Scotia and Schenectady on my HS50, with my cousins Urban Express and a couple older toilet scoots. But that was years ago.

Re: Moving to New York

but it would be tough to register something not on the list as a class b or c moped. i tried many times.

Re: Moving to New York

Dirty30 Dillon /

It's really not. Not at all.

Not only is a Honda MB5 not on either of those lists, it's straight up a motorcycle.

I helped reg a Motocompo as Class C, that was certainly not on the list.

I also helped folks reg mulitple non-title bikes, that were never sold in the states at all.

They always got registered.

Re: Moving to New York

Dave Thacker /

How much did the moving truck company pay you to drive a truck back into NY? Those are pretty rare these days.

Re: Moving to New York

hayoo. I was super into mopeds like 10 years ago and now i'm boomeranging back. Will my man.

Yea we used to have a crew of dorks, like 12 of us but everyone moved away or had kids so lets fuckin shred, hit me up! There's 1 or 2 stragglers around I'm trying to round up. Registering is easy af.

And an open invite to you others in the area if you want to come ride around Albany with me. Sick country roads and no one gives a fuck what you do inside the city. (edited)

Re: Moving to New York

actually on the topic of discussion, I used to have a binder I got from a DMV employee friend that listed every "limited use motorcycle" that you could register in NYS, and what classes it could be done as, but I tossed it years ago. Now the DMV dude works at a wine store down the street, I'm gonna ask if he still has a copy

Re: Moving to New York

Its now in a pdf file. I might have a copy on my other computer. I basically called dmv and asked about registering certain bikes as a class c and the employee said the moped wasnt on the class c list. so i asked the employee for a copy of the list and she actually emailed it to me years ago. Its an interesting list that even contains limited use cars that go about 20-30 mph.

> birdsy —— Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> actually on the topic of discussion, I used to have a binder I got from

> a DMV employee friend that listed every "limited use motorcycle" that

> you could register in NYS, and what classes it could be done as, but I

> tossed it years ago. Now the DMV dude works at a wine store down the

> street, I'm gonna ask if he still has a copy

Re: Moving to New York

> kenny s Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Its now in a pdf file. I might have a copy on my other computer. I

> basically called dmv and asked about registering certain bikes as a

> class c and the employee said the moped wasnt on the class c list. so i

> asked the employee for a copy of the list and she actually emailed it to

> me years ago. Its an interesting list that even contains limited use

> cars that go about 20-30 mph.

>

Might be a good list for the WIKI .

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account