Hobbit one way bearing ..slipping on crank?

I've got two hobbits with one way bearings. The one I'm referring to has the following issue: most of the time when pedal starting the engine rotates with each pedal stroke. It really spins. Starts like a dream. But other times the variator unit will turn reluctantly around the crankshaft. Nate from motormatic previously suggested I cinch the 14 mm nut holding the variator down harder...if I remove the spark plug ( eliminates the compression the motor spins fine). I was thinking maybe I should put something like coarse grinding compound on the crankshaft where the variator fits to increase it's grab on the crankshaft...not sure if this is a good idea...anyone with actual experiences with the above.. I sure don't want to mess up the crankshaft..

Re: Hobbit one way bearing ..slipping on crank?

Valve grinding compound will not work come to think of it because it will contaminate the bearings.

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

Make sure the nut is tight enough (don't overdo and snap the threads off)

If the nut is tight enough and it still happens, that means most likely your belt is slipping.

Dirty30 Dillon /

The service intervals on the one way are high, if you don't make sure the bearing is lubricated the needles will definitely wear your crank down

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

Also, if the nut is tight, and your belt is not slipping, and the variator is indeed spinning the bushing, then the shoulder on the crank that the bushing butts up against is possibly worn or not mating well with the bushing. If that's the case, im not sure what you would do...maybe a tiny bit of lapping compound to wear them together a bit. You'd of course clean the compound off when finished, you wouldn't want to leave it like you mentioned as you'd toast everything pretty quick.

Maybe it is belt tension. The idea isn't to have resting pull on the crank was my belief..the way it's set up it's easy to take it off and on the rear pulley. I'll tighten that up a bit..

Perhaps the tightness of the 14 mm nut is immaterial and belt tension is the key?

Brandon...you are a genius !! Tightened the belt. Works Betta

It’s always the belt slipping

I thought you knew the trick.

I’ve written about it a bunch.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account