So I found a moped....

Two, actually, and I have no idea what to do with them. According to the sides they're Puch Maxi-Luxes. Now I didn't so much "find" them so much as I dug them out of the shed they were buried in; they used to be my parents' when they were younger and we're only just now getting around to doing something with them.

When they ran, they were run in New York (so sometime in the 80's). They're now in Pennsylvania. Would they have even had titles issued when they were new? And if so how would I go about digging them up to transfer them to new ownership? An acquaintance told me about the "Vermont trick" but I'm pretty sure if they had a title before I'll need it for that to work.

(Also, - The mopeds last ran 30+ years ago. The bodies themselves don't seem to be in too bad of a shape, although at least one has intact wiring hanging down alongside the body (fairing? I have no idea...) Are these even worth seeing if they can be resurrected, or should they just be scrapped? This is coming from someone who has never tinkered on anything with an engine before. I can change batteries and tires on cars, that's about it. Would still need the title to scrap them though.)

If I'm in the wrong category let me know, wasn't sure if this was more for the sales or repair group.

Re: So I found a moped....

Not even worth scrap.

Just leave em out front with the trash and see if someone will haul them off.

Just kidding of course.

In your area that could be $1,000-2,000 worth of mopeds. If they are minty clean under whatever dust and gunk they may have.

Always fixable and easy to do so.

Oh wow. I was expecting $200-300 total.

So what should I do regarding the titles? I know states have had vary opinions on mopeds needing titles over the year, I was just curious if maybe there was a rule of thumb for that particular era of models.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

I’m fairly certain that transferrable registrations we’re not required In NY back in the day. For all intents and purposes, these bikes were never titled. PA is a title state, like NJ, so you’re SOL if you don’t have a clear title or transferrable registration to transfer. As you were advised, VT is the way to go and then transfer the VT transferrable registration to PA. (edited)

Could only be $200-300 if they look like crap.

Just wanted to make a point that they can be very valuable if in original/good condition.

Can you post some pics? Moped people are curious about this stuff.

Ok, thanks. Asked around irl and apparently they had NY plates, so I'll have to go diving into the NY DMV to find how to get title copies. Should be fun...

One last question - as someone with no experience, would it better to try and fix it before putting it up for sale? Or just sale as-is (with full disclosure of as-is nature of course).

Edit: Sorry, just saw your reply. Will have some pictures in a few. One's against the other so it's not the best angle. (edited)

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Sell them “As Is”. True moped people don’t care if they’re running or not.

Here they are. The purple has a bad angle, sorry.

purple.PNG
silver.PNG

Btw what's that handle on the silver rear wheel? A parking break? (edited)

Those look pretty good! A careful wash and wax and some light buffing of the chrome with #0000 steel wool will make them more attractive to a potential buyer with minimum cost to you.

They will likely need some work to run again- the tanks could be full of varnish from old bad gas, likewise the carburetors. Also potentially inexpensive if you already know what you're doing, but could make it worse if you don't and you start taking them apart.

I think what you're asking about on the silver bike is the flip-down passenger pegs on the axle. Either that or the protruding frame tab for the side cover bolt to mount to. (edited)

> Moo Cow Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Here they are. The purple has a bad angle, sorry.

>

> Btw what's that handle on the silver rear wheel? A parking break?

That's a passenger peg. Whoever said they're worth thousands is not accurate. They are nice bikes thiugh. Personally I would give you $300 each as they sit (edited)

There is no handle on the rear wheel. If yours has one shoot some good pics of what piece you are talking about. These do not have anything like a parking brake. But you did score some pretty clean and original looking bikes right there. Hit up the wiki on this site and goto the puch section. Many many many questions, tips, repairs, and answers can be found there.

Please always feel free to start a thread with problems you run into that you can't find the answer to. There are a lot of helpful and knowledgeable folks. Welcome to mopeds. (edited)

I think the thing you are refering to is a foot peg for the passenger? the frames are the biggest problem on those and yours look very clean. If they have a liscence plate and were your parents try for a duplicate title in NY.I would think your parents would have them in there name so try looking it up by that. I just got a duplicate title for my moped I sold to a guy in texas,did cost me 20 bucks though.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Before throwing out any offers, I would want to know if the motors are seized from sitting. If they’re seized, you can deduct at least $100 from their value.

It's this thing:

rod.PNG

Looking closer now I think it's what Nick and Mike said, the hinge looks like the right direction for a foot peg. And will do! I assume that bolted plate on the silver (in the big picture) is the serial/vin plate?

Sadly, they aren’t minty. But they do look pretty good for the time in storage.

Ever consider riding them? Maybe try it out on a borrowed moped before you sell yours. Might find you like mopeds and want to keep them.

The circled item is the shock for the rear wheel. There is one on each side.

.....aha. I'm an idiot, didn't notice the top was secured to the frame. My bad.

There is also a passenger peg tho on the silver one. On the bottom shock mount.

If your parents had them on the back of an RV, and you still have the RV, put them back on and drive to California. Those are worth at least $500 if they're not running, $1000 if they are.

But you might have to camp out here waiting a while before they sell.

Drive them out here to the SF bay area and I'll give you a few for them and I'll make you a PBJ sandwich or two. Dam I'm such a nice guy.

I'm all for getting your parent's mopeds running again.

I helped a kid in town with a bike that was his grandparent's and his mother's, so it's pretty cool owning a multi-generational moped.

Even cooler if your parent's are still alive and appreciate the effort.

Since they have not been registered in ever you can Vermont them easy. I would clean them up and ride them, were you fortunate enough that they were stored sans fuel?

Pushrod Fifty /

Those are the best finds, no one tried to get them running that didnt know how to work on them.

Dirty30 Dillon /

List them in NYC for $600 as is and you'll have $1200 in a couple days.

Of all the folks who replied, only a few understand the market. I see running, mom-, restored bikes selling for $1400-1800 every week. I personally don't sell anything running and refurbished for less than $1400, then again the bikes I sell are typically all non-domestic models.

I just printed out Vermont applications today. it's very easy.

Where do you want to sell these? I bet 500 is easily achievable, sell much faster if you clean em and make em run.

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I just printed out Vermont applications today. it's very easy.

>

> Where do you want to sell these? I bet 500 is easily achievable, sell

> much faster if you clean em and make em run.

Do they give you shit in Cuyahoga for Vermont registrations? In Franklin county I didn't have an issue but now with the title bureau being appointment only here I went to the Delaware county title bureau and spent 45 minutes with a lady who wouldn't give me a title for my DT with a Vermont registration because "I know all about you guys and your stupid Vermont" and fought me every inch of the way in getting my Senda title transferred from Virgina because it was titled as a moped in Virginia. (edited)

I haven't had trouble, a good smile and luck finding a not-too-annoyed clerk works out. I get my Vermont plate and registration, drag the bike to a BMV and have someone check the vin with the OH vin check sheet, then take the VT reg and OH vin check to the title bureau guys and like 15 minutes later I got a real OH title in my name, can bring that back to the BMV to register or sell it titled.

Even if you had plates and registration from the 80s, dmv would have absolutely no record of anything. It is difficult for me to say this but if your parents are still alive they can sign a bill of sale transferring the mopeds to you. If they aren't alive i would recommend you to fill out the paperwork claiming abandoned property was left at your house for more than a couple years.

Larry Picarello /

Please check your Private Messages.

Always up for a road trip.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account