Rear shock recommendations for Puch Newport?

Joseph Ferguson /

I recently bought my first moped, a 1977 Puch Newport. Its rear shocks are in dire need of replacement. I'd like to keep it looking basically stock, so I'm wondering what would be a good choice. Its current, original stocks look like those in the picture below. Are used original shocks worth getting? I've seen some for sale in the $35–$45 range. Or would it be best to get aftermarket shocks? I'd be open to buying new ones and repainting them to match the originals if I have to.

s-l1600.jpg

Re: Rear shock recommendations for Puch Newport?

no groms no blasters /

Joseph Ferguson /

Thanks for the suggestions. Do you think the difference in size would pose any issues? (Puch stock shocks being 300 mm, I believe)

Find out the stock length...but that length anywhere. Treatland or even eBay. The original length was engineered. I'm readapting my very very modified mopeds to original shock lengths. Longer shocks mess with the ability of the rear to flex. Normally and create a flexy rear that accentuates a moped shortcomings.

$35-$45 isn't much when it comes to real shocks unless you get plastic look alike shocks. spend a few more and get the real deal shocks also how much do you weigh? that will determine what you need.

Joseph Ferguson /

Do you think a pair of stock shocks in good shape isn’t worth the $40 then? Or maybe it’s just worth it if you’re really trying to keep it stock?

And regarding weight, I’m pretty light – about 140 lbs.

140, you can use any of the NOS shocks with no problem. Heafty boys like me have to get stronger coils so mine do not look stock, but hold me up. And definitely match the length. Be careful buying off of non moped parts sites as the eyelets or mounting might not work for your bike.

So if you really want a pair of used shocks vs the $50 new ones on treatland then before you buy the barn find make sure you know the original length of the crusty ones and make sure the current length is exactly the same. Some tub of lard might have been shredding on them from 1982 to 2008 rendering the springs shot..the best place to read about worn out springs would be Steinbecks "the grapes of wrath". The Joad family dealt with all the consequences of worn out springs.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account