1980 Puch Maxi...My First

So I just bought my first moped, 1980 Puch Maxi...I love it...Had the store put on the 70cc kit, pipe, so the top end is great, but leaving a stop sign,intersection, can be a challenge,( hills) is there anything I can do or is it a matter of changing the sprocket and losing some of my top end..

Thanks For Any Info

20200830_182441.jpg

Re: 1980 Puch Maxi...My First

Have you done any clutch tuning?

Having a higher stall in the clutch helps on take off by getting the engine into the power band sooner.

No clutch tuning, I'll have to ask the dealer about that for sure..

Thanks Dude...

Also would that help with hills..?

The dealer? It is not financially viable to have a moped and pay for somebody to do all the work. They're so simple that you can definitely do it, and they're so old that you're bound to run up repair bills far in excess of the bike's value by only relying on paying a shop to do everything. I'm not telling you how to live your life, but know that any money you put into it at a shop is not money you're likely to get out of it.

Nick,

I hear ya.....guess I'll youtube clutch tuning on a Puch...

Thanks

Use the search function on this site, lots of info for tuning. And yes tuning the clutch helps for take off.

Got it..Will do....👍

Check the wiki on everything puch. You have the e50 engine. Have fun and ask questions.

Going there now....

Thanks

Jeezopete......that's a pretty bike,

The boss pipe isn't going to provide a bunch of low end. Tune your clutch and buy an estoril. Solid all around pipe and doesn't cost mlm $$ (not a slight on mlm). It is real pretty, can I ask what a "dealer" prices a Maxi like that? (edited)

Overpriced Parts /

Get a better pipe low end pipe those boss pipes suck for low end torque, good chance the “dealer” kept original hi gearing which over-revs stock crankshaft, it’s not timed/tuned for cool tuning or protected with temp gauge as well as probably not serviced wheel bearing and brakes so you may be riding on borrowed time

Mopeds are DIY so learning to time/tune and set up your bike for reliability as well as good speed and takeoff is a must

A dealer who just slaps something on doesn't it live with the bike everyday. You can’t go there for every little issue like adjusting your chain which going to be doing shortly, spark plug, ignition maintenance/timing or for big issues like changing cylinders and exhaust pipes and gearing,

Read up on everything puch, experiment and have fun !

Thanks

There is a derbi on their homepage, towards the front right... buy it and that will fix all your low end issues!

That is a really nice looking maxi. I think a boss is fine, get some different clutch springs and live with it. Mopeds leave a lot to be desired including low end.

Overpriced Parts /

> TA Rolyat Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> There is a derbi on their homepage, towards the front right... buy it

> and that will fix all your low end issues!

>

> That is a really nice looking maxi. I think a boss is fine, get some

> different clutch springs and live with it. Mopeds leave a lot to be

> desired including low end.

Only if you let them have no low end silly! a puch can wheelie even, Just because you don’t know how to make them have low end doesn’t mean they don’t low end and or more power than you ever know‘

> Steel City Wrote:

> https://www.valleyvintagemotorworks.com

>

> Thanks....$1,400

Wow, very cool looking shop.

Interesting....I dont wanna go super fast, I have my Busa for that...I just wanna leave an intersection with a little speed, definitely getting good info on here..

> Overpriced Parts Wrote:

> Only if you let them have no low end silly! a puch can wheelie even,

> Just because you don’t know how to make them have low end doesn’t mean

> they don’t low end and or more power than you ever know‘

I assure you there is no low end or wheelie problems here!! (edited)

EE43A58B-854C-475F-937E-C1637F73255F.png

Nice👍👍👍👍.....I take it ur bike doesn't have any hesitation accelerating..? I dont wanna smoke the back wheel..lol.just a little more power and acceleration...

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account