pack rats tell me your secrets

so I'm running out of room in my 1 car garage and it's not gonna stop..... I've got 10 bikes, a rolling bike table, workbench and dumb parts galore. I need to find better ways to organize it all. so, all the moped hoarders that I KNOW are out there in moped land show me what you got going in your storage spaces to make room. I've been thinking of making a shelf to house half my bikes but that may be a stretch in my apt garage considering the garage door opener takes up a bunch of real estate in the upper areas near the bay door side which is where I would want it to be. I really don't want to concede to my hoarding and get a storage unit HELP

Re: pack rats tell me your secrets

Probably Fred /

Just purge and you’ll feel better!

I used to do it/sell 2 to 3 bikes/times a year but with the prices nowadays I can’t sell a maxi for 300 bucks and a Complete stock MKII magnum With all the parts including covers for 700$ Because I’ve never be able to restock those for non running prices that used to sell for running prices!

Walls and ceilings are your friend. Hang frames from the walls, wheels too. Or hooks from the ceiling can do the same. Shelving will also help keep things more organized. Home depot sells sturdy shelving systems pretty cheap. Metal frames with wood shelves will hold up under weight better than the plastic ones. Heavier duty bicycle racks can work too. Just gotta get creative with it.

Steven Bolduc /

Start bringing them indoors!

> Mike Boyd Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> https://www.treatland.tv/wellgo-FOLDING-pedals-blk-stompers-p/wellgo-pedals-f178du-fold-blk.htm

I love these I have a pair on my streetmate. I need to put them on my other peds as well but I also have a shifty and couple of scooty/ nopeds.

I have some shelves for my parts but I guess what I'm really looking for is more along the lines of how people are hanging wheels and shelving whole bikes. I would purge some but parts are hard to come by in Texas and half the stuff is my wife's and also LOL at that...

I use l brackets for shelving and thread wheels onto it. Whole bikes? there is a thread of people's garages on here somewhere that has a lot of great stuff in it.

Pushrod Fifty /

Cleaning and organizing makes a big difference. Keeping parts from a dissasembled project all in one place, concentrating on one ata time keeps things neater. I keep parts that I dont need in a box for ebay sales. Old parts that are worth keeping in another box. A box for scrap metal. A shoebox size box for each bike for small spares. Sidewalk score dressers for tools and supplies. Shelves made from scrap planks- cheap homedepot brackets mounted on the walls. Purging of bikes Im bored with to make room for the next incredible deal.

Shitty picture cause it's nighttime and I have no electricity in my garage. I have 23 bikes (I think) in my one car garage. I could fit 5 more mopeds in there if I took out my senda and Suzuki TS100. Go to Lowe's or home Depot, buy a 4x8 sheet of 1/2 thick plywood and 9 2x4x96 inch studs. Cut all of the studs in half except 3, screw them all together into a shelf.

Edit: you'll also need at least 2.5 inch long woodscrews. A 25 pack was 3 too few for me. (edited)

IMG_20200831_203106.jpg

You want to know everything? OK here we go.

Palliser-Winkelmann WDF2 Formula Ford

Merlyn MK6- old can-am car from the 60s

Lotus 59b old F2/F3 car.

Old air cooled VW parts

Old Porsche 356 parts

Lotus Twin-cam blocks

Some old corsair parts

Old car stuff and lots of it.

just to dam much to list

My old Snap-on aircraft carrier toolbox and 75g or more of tools.

its a matter of flow, if you've hit your limit space/comfortability then start organizing from front to back, keepers in the back to ones up front to sell off, rotate accordingly.

This was my first covid project, took solid month to map out and set up. The table surfaces on the left are super sturdy hollow core doors hinge mounted to the studs do they can flip up flat against the wall. It changed everything and made the garage fully functional again.

E26CAD0E-902E-473A-995D-C7D313BD0A8B.jpeg

@Jeff Parr Long time SCCA guy here. Impressive list of stuff there. Gotta see that Lotus 59B and Merlyn!

Following this thread since I tend to be pack rat-ish. I'm a believer in the "pack it in totes" method of trying to organize.

Each project / obsession goes into a tote so it's not all spread around the shop and I can put it away / out of sight (which is key for sanity) if need be. It costs a little bit to get the totes initially, but if you shop for them right after Xmas, they're normally pretty cheap. Who cares if they're green / red. I even built a special set of shelves sized especially to hold totes. Just have to make sure I label them...

> E BinOH Wrote:

> @Jeff Parr Long time SCCA guy here. Impressive list of stuff there.

> Gotta see that Lotus 59B and Merlyn!

I would love to see them again but both are in boxes and the space frames are in the rafter or on the shelf's.

The Merlyn has a great SCCA histoy and the lotus is one of nine and might be the last one not messed with.

Dirty30 Dillon /

I have 19 bikes right now in a small Brooklyn one car, along with a standing bench, a rolling two tier box, a rolling cart, a welding rig, a tow-hitch bike carrier, 8 large totes of parts and pieces, probably 25 pipes, 10 sets of tires, 4 wheelsets, plus all the other garage stuff.

The key is going vertical. Hang all your pipes and odd shaped shit where you can, because they take up so much space on a standard shelf. subframes and frame parts get hung up as well. I have all my pipes, tires, wheels, frames, subframes hanging, and all the totes and misc boxes tucked into one 8x3 suspended shelf, while all these bikes live inside.

IMG_20200802_121033.jpg
IMG_20200802_121809.jpg

Obviously, I have to remove many of them to get any work done, but space comes at an extreme premium in NYC, so I work with what I can.

yes Nick! that's what I'm looking for. so with a 44 inch high bottom clearance your able to get bikes fully under that as well? that's what I was worried about making something and and then not being able to fit bikes either all the way under, or on top if i made it too tall to compensate. I've got a dry walled ceiling so there's not much play on my max height. I guess I could always drop the bars on the bikes if I wanted it......

I think I'm also gonna build some type of hanging shelf for wheels specifically. Maybe just some brackets with a bar welded to the ends so the wheels can sit into the space between the wall and the bar

I sold off a bunch of bikes I had a few years ago and only kept minarelli and a few other odd and ends. I think I only have 5 motor bikes, 3 mopeds, 3 scooters now. I was on another forum sometime and we had to count the number of cylinders we had in our yard. I got way to many including cars, spare motors, snowmobiles, wheelers. This time of year you can't see the snowmobiles in my yard because the bamboo swallows them up. Nice shelving is key. And lots of out buildings.

We are hitting the space limits of our shop too, til we recently put in some shelving, pretty simple 4x6 base and some angle iron and 2x4 supports. Not that you need that, but it's what was leftover from a friends fence and some bed frame supports and shit. you can do it nice for more money or real sturdy easy to disassemble pallet racks for a few hundy.

Still, space is tight, no matter how fast we sell bikes to nick to put in his garage instead hehe

I did a big ol purge last fall, traded like 3 bikes and a motorcycle for just one motorcycle. which turned out to be way more of a project than all the shit i got rid of... but takes up less space!

Build yourself a shelf to park some on top of others. Get a folding ramp used for loading motorcycles and you can roll them up and down whenever by yourself... a step stool to walk it up and down the ramp. I use a 10 foot aluminum folding ramp.

> Brent Bhuiyan Wrote:

> yes Nick! that's what I'm looking for. so with a 44 inch high bottom

> clearance your able to get bikes fully under that as well? that's what

> I was worried about making something and and then not being able to fit

> bikes either all the way under, or on top if i made it too tall to

> compensate. I've got a dry walled ceiling so there's not much play on

> my max height. I guess I could always drop the bars on the bikes if I

> wanted it......

>

> I think I'm also gonna build some type of hanging shelf for wheels

> specifically. Maybe just some brackets with a bar welded to the ends so

> the wheels can sit into the space between the wall and the bar

Yeah I fit bikes under here fine, I have motorcycles under it right now (Honda XL, Honda CB125, some other small bikes) and sometimes the mirrors are a little tall but you can jimmy em in and once you get it past the 2x4 and into the 48" tall undersection you're good. At my gang's garage we have 2 long 2x4's spaced out a little bit screwed into the rafters for wheels, like they sit on top of them recessed a little into the space in between the 2x4's if that makes sense.

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

> Still, space is tight, no matter how fast we sell bikes to nick to put

> in his garage instead hehe

Really seems like half of the bikes y'all sell I wind up with lol. What can I say you sell rad shit

Good stuff. Are all motorcycle / two wheel enthusiasts like this or just moped folk? I've known a few and it seems like where there's one bike, there's 20... "They're small and don't take up much space..."

@DirtyDillon... what's the story with that Monza up there in front. Been reading / thinking about one of those for a while.

Dirty30 Dillon /

> E BinOH Wrote:

>

> @DirtyDillon... what's the story with that Monza up there in front.

> Been reading / thinking about one of those for a while.

Puch Monza L, aka the Monza "Barcelona."

4 speed foot shift, whacky large transfer motor. Planning on a restomod as this model is pretty hard to track down. Building the motor for the Moto GAC NTT50 DX Cross at the same time.

Terbo Speghetti /

I bought 8' racks from Menards, stacked em two deep and I can put whole bikes up there and still park underneath

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account