Sachs G3 Steering Lock Issue..?

I have a 1980 Sachs Prima G3 that has a spot for what I believe is a steering lock. The key inserts and turns partially, but doesn't seem to be working...

I feel like I'm being dumb and this is either something else, or there is a trick to it as it doesn't seem broken. Does anyone know anything about these?

20200829_210515.jpg
20200829_210520.jpg

Re: Sachs G3 Steering Lock Issue..?

If the key inserts and turns then your handlebars aren't in the right spot. Insert key, move handlebars until you can push it in and turn it, then remove the key

A little spray lube of some sort would help , straight in the key hole .

trusting that lock alone is a great way to not have a bike for long. do use a good lock instead or in addition and lock it to something!

Robert Allen /

So it appears that the key inserts, and turns what I assume is half way, which I agree seems like I just don't have it in the right spot.

The problem is that if I turn the handlebars, in no spot does the key engage further. Is it possible for something to need adjustment in the lock location?

Robert Allen /

I should ask also, what position should it normally be in to assist in troubleshooting? My other Clinton is all the way to the right when on it...

> Robert Allen Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> So it appears that the key inserts, and turns what I assume is half way,

> which I agree seems like I just don't have it in the right spot.

>

> The problem is that if I turn the handlebars, in no spot does the key

> engage further. Is it possible for something to need adjustment in the

> lock location?

No, you're just doing it wrong. Turn the handlebars to the right and slowly start turning them back while pushing and jiggling the key. Only way for it to be misaligned is if someone broke the welds on the fork lock but how would it still be attached, ya dig?

Robert Allen /

Makes sense, I will keep on it, thanks!

> Robert Allen Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Makes sense, I will keep on it, thanks!

As someone else said if it hasn't been used in a long time you might do well with some wd-40 sprayed onto the lock

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account