Cookie Monster at MAC Track in McMinville, Oregon 8/30/20

Nicholas Scholten /

I think this was my best lap. 1:06. Which I am super alright with.

I'm loving these budget Mitas MC11 tires from Treats. Scrubbed all the way to the shoulder, they hang on better than you'd expect!

You seriously know mopeds on a small track are fun when everyone you let ride it, including the race organizer capable of turning 0:49 lap times or better on his CR85, come back grinning and going on about how fun it was. And want to ride it again the following day.

The new side bleed Estoril was such an upgrade from the Tecno Bullet it's not even funny. Zero problems with heat using any of the bleeds or corking it closed. I ended up running the small size bleed all weekend for best balance between pull and legs.

Still have a real soft spot at around 3/4 throttle until you back off some and feed throttle in, let the revs rise some; not sure if it's the slide profile or the needle. You can hear it some in the video.

Ran off only once and blew a fork seal. :( Need to rebuild those NOS K10 forks anyways. Great forks! Love the open spring.

IMG_1418_ed.jpg
IMG_1384_yes.jpg
IMG_1385_yes.jpg

Re: Cookie Monster at MAC Track in McMinville, Oregon 8/30/20

Nicholas Scholten /

. (edited)

IMG_1389_yes.jpg
IMG_1393_yes.jpg

Nicholas Scholten /

Buddy of mine riding the ol' girl like a flat track goon. I wish I would have timed him!

IMG_1482_yes.jpg
IMG_1506_yes.jpg

Nicholas Scholten /

One of my favorite pics from the day. Looks almost anti-climatic.

A buddy of mine was supremely amused that he got passed by a "bicycle".

Hah. Fun times.

image_2020-08-30_20-46-48.jpg

Next time plan for some other moped folks to join you. It looks like some fun for sure!

I can't believe it was 6 years ago when I went there. That track is such a blast!!!

Super cool to see you racing out there.

That's a good looking track. If they ever host a big race, I might make the road trip from california.

Nicholas Scholten /

For sure though I should have announced it here to drum up some interest. As soon as we nail down October's track day at TCKC, if there's open practice, I'll post something. And certainly the next time I'm out at MAC track.

Next year I'm super duper planning on being out there a lot riding minis (which means the moped for me; I'm having too much fun riding it) and am already working out membership fees with PKA. Could be really fun to host a couple of mo/no/ped events.

We actually thought there was going to be a small gaggle of moped folks there for Sunday but I guess plans fell through or something. Wasn't enough interest to keep sprints and GP races on for Sunday the event organizer converted it to an open track day and unfortunately no other 'peds.

Nicholas Scholten /

I love that video!

It really got me really excited to run the Swinger at MAC and was an inspiration to push my build towards performance for running it at the track.

damn you make that thing look tiny haha. it's funny rarely do you get many pics of people actually really on their bikes - easy to forget how doofy these things are

That foot-out approach makes me nervous as hell, watching kids tryn actually use their foot as some kida support and like just flapping their ankles around, yikes. But with good boots an stuff maybe it's useful? I don't know shit really about riding properly or going fast but it seems like it'd be a crutch trying to keep yourself so upright and using your foot as support

Nicholas Scholten /

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> damn you make that thing look tiny haha. it's funny rarely do you get

> many pics of people actually really on their bikes - easy to forget how

> doofy these things are

>

> That foot-out approach makes me nervous as hell, watching kids tryn

> actually use their foot as some kida support and like just flapping

> their ankles around, yikes. But with good boots an stuff maybe it's

> useful? I don't know shit really about riding properly or going fast but

> it seems like it'd be a crutch trying to keep yourself so upright and

> using your foot as support

Yeah, it really isn't a big moped at all. Basically BMX-sized.

The guy in the white and grey leathers is one fast dude, but he's also like 6'2. Lately he's been getting back into flat track so that's where the foot-out riding style comes from. You do end up using your foot like a crutch/outrigger to stabilize the bike on the dirt track.

To do it right you're supposed to have a metal 'shoe' that goes over your riding boot that slides along the ground and doesn't catch the dirt or asphalt like rubber does. You can actually really screw up your knee and/or ankle if your boot catches and it levers you up quickly and/or pulls your leg back (something MX guys have to be careful of)

I think for him it was just a more comfortable, workable option to do that then try to cram his leg up on top of the upward facing pedal, being so tall. I'm only 5'11 so it worked for me just to keep my foot planted on the pedal.

I saw they were running the mini enduro there last weekend, but I didn’t have enough time to get my shit together and make it down there. I pulled my bike out on Saturday anyways and gave it a good once over and shake down around the neighborhood. When and where is the next event scheduled for?

I'm 6'1, and owned a pinto. Not too tiny to get yourself wrapped around for some good GP style leans. But I did upgrade to a magnum which feels better leaning over for sure. I would be down to make a trip out for some racing. At least to watch if I cant get a bike together that would pass inspections.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account