Are New axles supposed be tight

I just got two sets of axles for loose bearings and the cones and nuts are super tight usually I can thread them through by hand but these you need a wrench and some elbow grease is that normal for new axle sets?

Re: Are New axles supposed be tight

Probably Fred /

> Rica Rivera Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I just got two sets of axles for loose bearings and the cones and nuts

> are super tight usually I can thread them through by hand but these you

> need a wrench and some elbow grease is that normal for new axle sets?

If they’re aftermarket yeah they’re either loose, tight, just poorly made, you may have to search The inter-webs to find NOS or good used set, possible you could post on moped army for good used axle parts,

I’ve had good luck getting used axles, ball bearings, cones and cups and they’re still working great,

You will see that aftermarket axles parts/cones will wear very quickly Because they’re not made exactly like the ones you’re replacing and not as hard of steel

No. The nuts should spin right on by hand. They may have tiny burrs that have a slight resistance, but if you need to crank on them with a wrench, they're not the same thread.

Maybe try running an appropriate die over the threads and/or a tap through the nuts .

Or , if you have a set of jewelers files , you could try cleaning the threads prior to nutting . (edited)

A thread gauge would detect variances. I have both metric and fractional inch. You don't typically need them often but when you do they are gold.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account