Moped Selection Help

All, excited to find this community and hoping for some advice on selecting a moped as my expertise on the subject consists of about 2 hours of internet searchers...

>>>>

The Scenario:

- We live in NJ (must have pedals and be 50cc or less per NJ DMV web page).

- The moped is for my son who just turned 15, which will allow him to ride on the road.

-Purpose of the moped is for him to go back and forth from work (multiple locations, all with in 5-10 miles, 3-4 trips a week)

-We are in a relatively hilly area.

-Something that will holds it value so he can sell it in 2-3 years to buy a car.

-My son is mechanical (rebuilt a go-cart, fixes our mower...)

-Also my son is 6' and still growing (I can no longer beat him in basketball which is sad) so I'm not sure if some Moped brands are better for longer legs.

-Price... I think $500 to $1,500 is realistic depending on the resale value & reliability.

>>>>

Any thoughts and advice would be great and a huge help...both options to look for and options to avoid...

Thanks,

Ralph

Re: Moped Selection Help

Hills you'll want a variator for. Buy a Honda Hobbit. Honda reliability and resale value.

RZ Namllow /

Buy a Puch or one with the E50 motor.

If you buy a maxi make very sure the tank is very clean.

has places to be? wants to make back money spent on purchase and upgrading? sounds like he needs a scooter. Or maybe look up electric bicycle laws and get/build one of those. (edited)

E50's are not good for hills. They're single speeds. People might come in here touting how they ride on hills all of the time with their Puchs and it's fine but if you've ever ridden a Derbi, or a Hobbit, or a Vespa, or a Peugeot, or a Moby you know that variators are a game changer for hills. My hobbit passes cars going up hill with ease.

I guess the brand list I just gave is a good order to consider. Derbi's are pricey and worth it. Vespas, Peugeot's and Motobecane's you can wind up with a single speed (non-variated) model if you're not careful and don't know what to look for. All Hobbits are variated, parts are plentiful and a stock pa50ii does 30mph reliably with no fuss.

> Nick Haber Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> E50's are not good for hills. They're single speeds. People might come

> in here touting how they ride on hills all of the time with their Puchs

> and it's fine but if you've ever ridden a Derbi, or a Hobbit, or a

> Vespa, or a Peugeot, or a Moby you know that variators are a game

> changer for hills. My hobbit passes cars going up hill with ease.

my E50 climbs hills like a Goat. its all about how much money you wanna spend and not get back if you sell it. reliable moped is an oxymoron

> Full Tuck Wrote:

> > Nick Haber Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > E50's are not good for hills. They're single speeds. People might come

>

> > in here touting how they ride on hills all of the time with their

> Puchs

>

> > and it's fine but if you've ever ridden a Derbi, or a Hobbit, or a

>

> > Vespa, or a Peugeot, or a Moby you know that variators are a game

>

> > changer for hills. My hobbit passes cars going up hill with ease.

>

> my E50 climbs hills like a Goat. its all about how much money you wanna

> spend and not get back if you sell it. reliable moped is an oxymoron

I used to say that too, but if you keep shit stock and just maintain it instead of trying to upgrade and tune and upgrade and tune then it's gonna be reliable. Kitted shit can be reliable but it's hit or miss; I daily ride my Maxi with an A35 kit, Alsil Quiche pipe and A55 CDI and it's literally never broken down on me in ~1500 miles. That's pretty much the only upgraded bike I own that I'll ride when I need to get somewhere at a certain time because I know it's not going to break. I take stock bikes anywhere for the same reason, they're fine. I'm not going to seize a stock Hobbit on a 5 mile ride. Carb might get dirty but that's an easy carb clean and tank flush and then you don't have to worry about it.

RZ Namllow /

Hills are not an issue, Nick. They're e50s been built that will do a burnout on the way up the hill.

The E50 is the best moped engine ever built.

Its not even debatable.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

I see you live in Hardwick township. That’s where the Boy Scout camp is located which was used in the original “Friday the 13th” movie. Very nice part of New Jersey. Not a lot of moped people in that area.

Btw...unless it’s some kind of rare collectors bike, no one who who collects and rides daily driver mopeds worries about resale value.

Good luck! (edited)

> RZ Namllow Wrote:

> Hills are not an issue, Nick. They're e50s been built that will do a

> burnout on the way up the hill.

>

> The E50 is the best moped engine ever built.

>

> Its not even debatable.

I mean, it absolutely is debatable. I've ridden and built 60-65 mph e50s, they're rad. I've built/owned 10+ bikes with e50s. My stunt bike is an e50 powered maxi. They're better than most moped motors sure, and I'd go so far to say they're the best single speed moped motor ever made, like compared to a Sachs 505/1D, V1, M01/M1, Garelli NOI, etc. but let's be realistic. From an engineering perspective a variator system offers superior torque across the range than a single speed setup, and what's the real downside? I mean c'mon, have you ever ridden a Derbi? They're crazy fast and so goddamn easy to make fast

I've owned 50+ mopeds, I'm speaking from my experience working with every mainstream brand sold in North America except for maybe a Solo, AMF friction drive, and Solex.

Emil Kniemel /

I think since you have the budget for it I would get a Derbi. It's bigger than a hobbit, variated transmission for the hills, and damn reliable.

Also you have a budget for it and it has great resale value.

Wow! Thanks for all the input, had to step away for work after I posted and you guys hit it with a dozen responses already... will start reading through... i'm sure i'll have some follow on questions...many questions...

Overpriced Parts /

> Nick Haber Wrote:

> > RZ Namllow Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Hills are not an issue, Nick. They're e50s been built that will do a

>

> > burnout on the way up the hill.

>

> >

>

> > The E50 is the best moped engine ever built.

>

> >

>

> > Its not even debatable.

>

> I mean, it absolutely is debatable. I've ridden and built 60-65 mph

> e50s, they're rad. I've built/owned 10+ bikes with e50s. My stunt bike

> is an e50 powered maxi. They're better than most moped motors sure,

> I've owned 50+ mopeds, I'm speaking from my experience working with

> every mainstream brand sold in North America except for maybe a Solo,

> AMF friction drive, and Solex.

Well I owned or had 150 Puchs go through my hands and I think my 150-200 mi.² open riding area with 5+ mile straightaways, several hills and winding Valley/Country roads separate the men from the boys as far as what a bike could do,

You do not have to kit a e50 to be reliable fast and go good on hills but you do have to tune the stock parts including the clutch:

Yes derbi flat reed engine rules and Honda’s are ok after you fix the sub frame, remove starter clutch, add HPI, pull start and tune/get all the bugs worked out so a reliable kitted bike will cost you big bucks and a ton of labor but both are hard to come by compared a puch,

For me The best most reliable most you can could do with moped engine is a puch za50 two speed engine either with stock tuned parts or kitted, I’ve had dozens of za50 bikes of every generation I still have several,

They Rip and never let me down Or leave me stranded, no belts, Variator, pulleys extra parts to break,

Za50 with Stock parts tuned :

or kitted :

I take and trust my puch bikes everywhere Kitted or not and most were built 12-14 years ago years ago

Reading through we started looking at what Puchs and honda hobbits we could find...

Found what spears to be a nice Puchs:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/330821548123025

is $1,200 reasonable... i'll ask if it has a za50 engine... what else should we be looking for...

Ralph

If I were to put an a55 CDI on my a35 would I get higher rpm?

> Ralph Tilly Wrote:

> Reading through we started looking at what Puchs and honda hobbits we

> could find...

>

> Found what spears to be a nice Puchs:

>

> https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/330821548123025

>

> is $1,200 reasonable... i'll ask if it has a za50 engine... what else

> should we be looking for...

>

> Ralph

That has an e50, you can tell by the transmission cover. That's a stock bike so expect 25-30mph. I have never paid more than $400 for a bike with a stock e50 and you shouldn't either

great info, if i can find a Puch with a za50 what is a reasonable price?

> Ralph Tilly Wrote:

> great info, if i can find a Puch with a za50 what is a reasonable price?

I don't recommend a ZA50 by any means to a first timer. You will absolutely have to open up the transmission and replace the shift pucks. Not to mention if the motor needs to be rebuilt (40 year old rubber seals are never good for much longer) it is extremely difficult to do so compared to a Hobbit or an e50 or even a Tomos. If you want a 2 speed get a Tomos with an A35 motor, they're damn reliable and fast from the factory. My a35 with an Airsal kit and MLM pipe does 50 all day.

RZ Namllow /

What Roffman said.. Well put and I agree.👍🏻

Put that in your pipe and smoke it. (edited)

Big kid, get a Revival or StreetMate IF you can find one. Motobecane Sebring with MO2 is big enough also.

RZ Namllow /

But also for the record,

Nick made some good points.. its good advice, take it evaluate and decide fer yourself.

Either way, enjoy the ride.

Another question, is mileage a big concern? example found a Tomos will over 100,000 miles on it...

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/637123517235660

is high millage a nogo?

Must mean 12,000 miles. Not likely any 100K on any Tomos for resale. LOL!

With 12K on it, I wouldn't pay 650.00. Mayb e 500.00 tops. And ride it first.

> Ralph Tilly Wrote:

> Another question, is mileage a big concern? example found a Tomos will

> over 100,000 miles on it...

>

> https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/637123517235660

>

> is high millage a nogo?

The mileage is 123456, he probably doesn't know the actual mileage. With that being titled $400-500 wouldn't be unreasonable for that bike if he's desperate to ride. I guess one reason newcomers overpay/think mopeds cost more than they really do is that they don't find the deals that constantly pop up but are gone in a few hours, only the "meh" deals are left after a few days of bikes being posted. For reference I paid $500 for this Tomos A35 2 weeks ago, it has a 70cc Airsal Kit and an MLM pipe and hits 50.

IMG_1070.jpg
IMG_1073.jpg

Bruce Zapper /

Whatever you buy make sure it has a title!

> Ralph Tilly Wrote:

> Another question, is mileage a big concern? example found a Tomos will

> over 100,000 miles on it...

>

> https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/637123517235660

>

> is high millage a nogo?

The seller doesn't know how many miles are on the bike .

He simply filled in the mileage spot with 1 through 6 .

"Driven 123,456 miles"

Should have figured that one out...thanks...

Dirty30 Dillon /

Stock Mod Derbi will outrun a stock mod magnum za50 any day of the week.

And as far as "more parts to break", a Derbi flatreed has FEWER moving parts than a ZA50.

Terbo Speghetti /

just don't get a tomos

Regardless of what he gets make sure you invest heavily in a good bike lock, that's gonna disappear on him while at work without one and he will be stranded.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account