Re: Moped Selection Help

What does the intended rider find interesting?

Didn't have a boy, but I'm told they can be of their own mind?

campeona del mundo /

lazer 5

Overpriced Parts /

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Stock Mod Derbi will outrun a stock mod magnum za50 any day of the week.

>

> And as far as "more parts to break", a Derbi flatreed has FEWER moving

> parts than a ZA50.

Yeah I hear ya but how many flat reed derbi top tank top tube frame bikes are there? None !

Even the regular sle or sport flat reed Models are rare so good luck finding one.

Complete Stock doesn’t matter in my book because I had several stock brands of bikes that went 35 but you couldn’t modify them to go faster whereas I had a 20 mph Puch bikes that can be made go 60mph

If with free of next to free mods you can make a 40 mph bike and kitted make a reliable 55mph bike that bikes and parts available Then that’s make/model you want

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Overpriced Parts Wrote:

> > Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Stock Mod Derbi will outrun a stock mod magnum za50 any day of the

> week.

>

> >

>

> > And as far as "more parts to break", a Derbi flatreed has FEWER moving

>

> > parts than a ZA50.

>

> Yeah I hear ya but how many flat reed derbi top tank top tube frame

> bikes are there? None !

That's like saying, "yeah, well show me how many stock, 80cc, reed inducted, dual variated puchs there are." No where is a precedent set that a good moped must be tube frame or top tank. The most sold, and widely distributed motorcycle ON EARTH was both monocoque and underbone. DEAL WITH IT.

> Even the regular sle or sport flat reed Models are rare so good luck

> finding one.

>

> Complete Stock doesn’t matter in my book because I had several stock

> brands of bikes that went 35 but you couldn’t modify them to go faster

> whereas I had a 20 mph Puch bikes that can be made go 60mph

You LITERALLY just stated that with free mods and stock parts, ZA's were the best and were less complicated than a Derbi. Which, is arguable at best. Belts and variators are EASY to service items. I would rather completely rehaul a variated setup versus the overly complicated ZA trans (don't get me wrong, ZA's are the best 2 speed transmission for mopeds) any day. In the time it takes to find/buy/borrow the factory tools to reset proper shimming on the crank and trans. you could have rebuilt and retuned a Derbi engine (or Hobbit or Vespa).

> If with free of next to free mods you can make a 40 mph bike and kitted

> make a reliable 55mph bike that bikes and parts available Then that’s

> make/model you want

All of this conjecture really doesn't matter, because for any first time rider, the majority of the choice will come down to availability, and looks.

My first bike was an FA50 because it was there and cheap. My second bike was a magnum, because I decided I "needed" one. Both were under $200, and guess which bikes I no longer own...

> Ralph Tilly Wrote:

> Heading down to check out this bike What would be a reasonable offer to

> make on this moped

>

>

That's a pa50i, you'd be lucky to break 20mph on it. I would never pay more than $300 for one, but if it's got a title maybe $400. I got 2 non-runners for $100 each back in 2014 and they're some of my favorite bikes. If you want to do 50 buy a DR Kit ($130) proma pipe ($100) TJT variator with rumpus plate ($130) and pa50ii reeds/reedblock ($70). Bore out the carb to 12mm and you're good to go.

I've owned 5 or 6 pa50i's and have never paid more than $250 for one.

Perfect thanks, we passed on it.... But it was worth the trip for my son... he took a ride on it and got a feel for the hobbit... Cool looking moped but he did not think it would be comfortable or have enough power for his 30min ride to work... Your input only validated his choice... The search continues... Quick thank you to everyone as your posts have been a huge help...

> Ralph Tilly Wrote:

> Perfect thanks, we passed on it.... But it was worth the trip for my

> son... he took a ride on it and got a feel for the hobbit... Cool

> looking moped but he did not think it would be comfortable or have

> enough power for his 30min ride to work... Your input only validated his

> choice... The search continues... Quick thank you to everyone as your

> posts have been a huge help...

Good choice, the pa50ii feels like a totally different moped than the pa50i.

Honestly, maybe a scooter is going to be a better choice. If he is relying on doing a 30 minute trip to work on a 30-40 year old moped, then I can maybe foresee problems. A newer scooter will be more comfortable and a branded one will be more reliable. Then you could buy a moped at a later date that can be played about with and not have to worry about how to get to work the next day.

what do you guys think of this brand have never seen it before.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/329054964816344

> Ralph Tilly Wrote:

> what do you guys think of this brand have never seen it before.

>

> https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/329054964816344

That's not a Garelli, it's an Avanti SuperSport, a Garelli clone made in India. I have owned several India-made motorcycles and mopeds and the quality is subpar. Avanti's are cool though, one of the dudes in Columbus has one and when it runs it's fast. He has a pipe and VM18 on it and it hits like 45. (edited)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account