What are the BEST moped states?

Terbo Speghetti /

So, a lot of states have some pretty strict moped laws. Ohio comes to mind.

What are the opposite states? Like Michigan with their 100cc limit and 3 yr stickers, no insurance required (98% sure on that last part).

Re: What are the BEST moped states?

Dirty30 Dillon /

CT: No Reg/Plate/Ins, No Helmet req'd, and anything with less than 50cc and a seat height of over 26 inches.

It used to not be 5 bhp and seat height.

It's prety great

georgia is sick. ain't gotta do nothing

California is pretty good. Lifetime registration for 22 bucks, no insurance required if it meets the definition of a "motorized bicycle," most cops are pretty cool as long as you're legal and not riding like a duck (some socal beach cities are pretty strict, though,) and you can't beat being able to ride pretty much year round.

Only "problem" is you need an M2 endorsement on your license (M2 is a two wheeled vehicle 149cc and under. M1 is any motorcycle, so just get that.) And you need to take a skills test, and many DMVs won't let you take it on a moped.

(Edit. I meant "dick," not "duck," but duck sounds better, so I'm leaving it.) (edited)

Overpriced Parts /

Kentucky is Great, any bike even shifties 50cc or less are not considered a motor vehicle, you can’t get a plate if you wanted to

Missouri is the same. If it's 50 cc or less no plate/reg/insurance/helmet. It's great..

Pushrod Fifty /

CT for the riding and for no reg.

title, insurance states are way worse than ohio. i wouldnt ride these toys if i had to go through that crap.

campeona del mundo /

amazingly, ca is not bad like baird mentioned. that being said, i feel like any year now CARB will ban all 2t for on road use. whether or not it will actually be enforced, who knows.

> Overpriced Parts Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Kentucky is Great, any bike even shifties 50cc or less are not

> considered a motor vehicle, you can’t get a plate if you wanted to

Kentucky used to have a clause against top tank mopeds. Is it still in effect?

Overpriced Parts /

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> > Overpriced Parts Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Kentucky is Great, any bike even shifties 50cc or less are not

>

> > considered a motor vehicle, you can’t get a plate if you wanted to

>

> Kentucky used to have a clause against top tank mopeds. Is it still in

> effect?

Nothing I never knew of, I sold several magnums and several Maxis that people welded and made into the top tanks to people in Kentucky

VA is pretty good, No license or insurance required. Do require a plate/registration but it is super easy to get a bike titled and plated.

> ID OD Wrote:

> title, insurance states are way worse than ohio. i wouldnt ride these

> toys if i had to go through that crap.

It's not so bad, IF they make it easy to title a bike like MN does, I think insurance on a moped is pretty stupid, we did not used to need it, but it's cheap, and the ticket costs more than the bike, so yeah, and title and plates makes it easier to prove ownership in the event of theft.

Gotta be CT. Almost anything goes, no insurance, no plate, no helmet, no worries, no kidding

Indiana was great. No license, no plate, no insurance under 49cc with pedals. You were supposed to also be under 30mph and could not be on roads posted over 35mph.

Az requires a bill of sale to get a license plate, but just regular drivers license and basic insurance to ride. Same speed restrictions.

South Dakota is relatively lax. No helmet, No Reg, No plate. Insurance is weird cause you are supposed to have it, but you legally aren't required to have any proof of insurance on a moped. I don't know whats up with that, but I have only had insurance on like one of my mopeds over the years.

The only thing that sucks is if you want to actually register something they don't really want to do it so half the time with a shifty 50 they will tell you you don't need to (even though the law says if it has a clutch you have to) so that leads to nothing having a title here cause the state doesn't care.

My friend had to register his MB5 as an ATV.. cause they didn't know what to do.

Ive rode shifties around for years though with no plate no nothing and zero hassle. They tend to not give a shit about us.

Mass ain’t terrible, $50 registration every two years, no insurance, need a driver’s license, and you can ride in the bike lane and park on sidewalks legally

What are the worst moped states?

AZ is also lax with the helmet laws, but save your noodle and wear one any time.

> Jay Rivett Wrote:

> Indiana was great. No license, no plate, no insurance under 49cc with

> pedals. You were supposed to also be under 30mph and could not be on

> roads posted over 35mph.

>

Ohio's not great, but they do not restrict us on 55 mph roads. I'll take Ohio over Indiana for that.

So what's good and what's bad? MN requires a license, plates and insurance (no helmet law) and in my opinion, all are good. Personal medical insurance gets shitty (and complicated) when they hear an injury involves a motor vehicle and the title is proof of ownership. It's grand theft auto if your moped is stolen. Plates are $12/yr and insurance is also cheap.

Dave Thacker /

I'm looking for a state that will take an out of state registration through the mail that is lifetime or very cheap. I'm in Ohio. Like $35 I think. And yes, there is a state you can register a car in without being a resident.

Michigan is 15 dollars for a 3 year registration sticker, no insurance or helmet required. 100cc max, no gear shifters and no more than 30mph on level ground.

i like washington dc. even though mopeds technically need to be registered as motor-driven cycles, there's a separate designation for motorized bicycles that doesn't require registration. most cops assume mopeds fit into that category.

I've been riding unregistered for 10+ years here and have been stopped exactly once for not having a plate.

Also, lane splitting is not expressly illegal.

Well, Texas is a bit of a beating. Are we surprised by this ? You must be 15, class M licence with a

P36 restriction, be riding a DPS certified moped, have valid insurance, not over 50cc, can't surpass 30mph when driven in a straight line for a mile, doesn't require manual gear changes, max power of 2bhp, have annual safety inspection and emissions screening, must be titled and registered, the seller MUST accompany the buyer to the county tax office to transfer the title, or if the seller can't go, the buyer needs to provide the sellers photo ID documentation, a valid inspection report, the title and a completed 130-U title application form, pay the 6.25% sales tax, enroll in a class M motorcycle safety course ( a

mere $250 in the Lone Star state ), can't ride on any road over 45 mph speed limit, and you will have to get a bonded title if there isn't one ( and I asked when I bought mine but the guy said there wasn't one). So if there isn't a title, go get a stack of papers from the DMV and when you fill those out, go back and get another stack to take to your insurance company and they'll give you a surety bond. Then take that to the tax office and pay them 8.25% OR just stay out in the sticks. Sweet cracker sandwich, by the time you go through all that, Texas will have legalized pot. Watch the weather Channel, because that will happen right about the time hell freezes over.

So I'm saying Texas may be the biggest beating for moped riding ? I live out in the sticks so I'll just wear my helmet and get a YOM or antique plate or just leave the 1982 plate on it. That ought to get my point across.

Terbo Speghetti /

I knew I didn't like Texas for some reason

punkrock randy /

Missouri free for all FTW!!!!!!!!

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Except for the very beginning of the heyday of mopeds, NJ has always been tough. We were one of the first states to adopt a mandatory helmet requirement and compulsory insurance. Later, they adopted a title/registration requirement.

While many people take the position that NJ’s moped laws are too tough, I personally think they’re a good thing. At $15 a year for moped registration and about $75 a year For liability insurance, fiscally it’s quite reasonable and the requirement to wear a helmet is also a good thing in my opinion. I guess it’s all how you look at it.

FL it was around $89 for first “year” (which means until your next birth month for the first year, so <12 months) registration and tag. Then I think it goes down to like $42.

49cc and under, has pedals, under 30mph to be considered a moped. No special licensing, helmet OR glasses are technically required. No insurance required on any motorcycles in Florida (unless you’re making payments).

Allowed anywhere that bicycles are as long as the engine is off (or you shut it off when you see a copper or a pesky Karen).

49cc and under, no pedals and under 30 mph makes you a “scooter”, with the same rules as a “moped” EXCEPT for the “ride wheee bicycles can” clause.

Buying and selling requires only

Bill is sale (no title) but if it was ever registered you will have to show “chain of ownership” through paperwork back to the last registered owner.

Cops are pretty chill as long as you are being a dingle berry and you keep it quite (lots of oldies here)

1FABA01E-E95C-42A6-8F6F-1AA1E0B0A57E.jpeg

Ohio isn't so bad. No title, no insurance required just a bill of sale and they hand over the plate then off you go. No vehicle inspection either

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account